You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-02 13:57:52

delphinen

archlinux update ruined my day

Today I did an upgrade of one of our webservers using pacman. Everything was ok until it upgraded OpenSSH, after doing this, I lost connection to this server, which I have a hundred kilometers far away. I lost almost all the day because of this.
The upgrade went all fine, but you guys couldnt program the damn ssh daemon to be restarted after the OpenSSH upgrade.

*Please*, this is the kind of problems that cannot happen. A warning at least would be fine. Please, Arch developers, be more careful; some of us have faith in archlinux and use it in small servers environments.

Last edited by delphinen (2007-03-02 14:01:16)

#2 2007-03-02 14:25:07

Stalwart
Website

Re: archlinux update ruined my day

Do everything in screen

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#3 2007-03-02 14:35:44

AndyRTR
Developer

openssh was updated on 29th Nov. '06 - you are a bit late to claim. and after looking into flyspray we never had failed upgrades reported.

so what was your problem?

#4 2007-03-02 14:43:45

delphinen

AndyRTR wrote:

openssh was updated on 29th Nov. '06 - you are a bit late to claim. and after looking into flyspray we never had failed upgrades reported.

so what was your problem?

Did you read my post? the upgrade went fine, but while upgrading OpenSSH, the ssh daemon was not automatically restarted. Thats all.

About the date, I think youre wrong. Last pacman/current update I did was half a month ago.

Last edited by delphinen (2007-03-02 14:45:33)

#5 2007-03-02 14:53:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

delphinen - putting to one side the questionable tone of your post, I've just upgraded openssh on one of my machines specifically to check this out, and the daemon did not need to be restarted, because it was not stopped in the first place.

On a more general note, the last openssh upgrade was put into the current repo on 09 Nov 2006, which indicates that you have not updated the machine in question since that date, if not earlier. As I hope you are aware, Arch works best when it is kept up to date. If something went wrong, it would be a good idea to check ALL the packages that were upgraded, along with your logs, and any other relevant information. If there is a genuine problem, please let us know.

(Overlap with AndyRTR, but no harm done smile )

Last edited by tomk (2007-03-02 14:56:39)

#6 2007-03-02 15:04:16

delphinen

Ok, sorry for the tone of my post. I had to travel to the datacenter and lost all the day... was kinda angry.
I understand you guys try to do your best, its just that this looked like a silly thing to fix, but a very important problem... excuse me again.

Believe me, I did an upgrade of current half a month ago... I dont know why it upgraded OpenSSH today... im gonna check out the pacman.log to see if I found something.

#7 2007-03-02 15:08:21

tomk
Forum Fellow

Thanks.

#8 2007-03-02 16:03:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

The last time something like this happened to me, it was actually a bash upgrade that caused it.  That is, I had a script running in screen, which tried to run itself while bash was being removed, and *bam* I lost the connection and all that stuff.
I've upgraded openssh a few times without hiccups.  The thing with most *nix programs is that once it's running, it stays running.  You can start sshd and then delete the binary, and it will run fine.  I'd venture a guess that something else happened...

#9 2007-03-02 16:29:22

Pierre
Developer
Website

I never had any püroblems with upgrading ssh. Anyway: I`ve got access to a serial console (available through ssh). This is quite cool because you allway have access to your server; even if the kernel does not boot. (and if grub is dead or the system totaly messed up I can boot to a rescue system using pxe-boot)

#10 2007-03-03 07:50:37

mucknert

Even this might be found offensive but that is what you get for using Arch on a Mission-Critical System. I said it before and I say it again: if you have something that should never ever break then do NOT use Arch on it. It is in the spirit of its bleeding-edge nature that things break and you will have to tinker a little bit (not too much though) to get it back running. You knew this when you installed Arch on your Server! So don't come to the BBS and rant about the developers when it was really your own fault in the first place. neutral

Charming as usual. mucknert

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#11 2007-03-03 09:32:11

Pierre
Developer
Website

If you know what you are doing arch is also a good choice for servers. I am using arch at archlinux.de since june 2006 and i have got less problems than before when i used debian. (but ok, i know arch quite well ;-))

#12 2007-03-03 11:21:28

JGC
Developer

Things could be worse, take this example:
make someone do a default install of debian testing, then to find out it installed a whole gnome desktop with all shit installed on your new webserver :X
Then take over the machine from 2.000km distance, the guy that installed it thinks it's safe to go home. You start removing all crap, and with a nice aptitude purge dbus, you find out it also removes networkmanager, stops your network connection and it's time to call the guy to ifconfig some interfaces...

#13 2007-03-03 12:50:21

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

phrakture wrote:

The thing with most *nix programs is that once it's running, it stays running.  You can start sshd and then delete the binary, and it will run fine.  I'd venture a guess that something else happened...

exactly.. the description of "i upgraded and it didn't restart" just doesn't make any sense.. it shouldn't just automagically restart, a program can keep running for decades even when it's being removed or replaced by a newer version.  if you want to start the new version you can just type "/etc/rc.d/ssh restart" (and if that stops the current daemon but fails to start the new one, then you might have a little problem wink )

On a sidenote, i agree with mucknert

Last edited by Dieter@be (2007-03-03 12:51:26)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer