You are not logged in.

#301 2007-11-11 16:26:11

markc
Website

Re: ProAudio repository for Arch users

funkmuscle wrote:

lone question, what are the differences between to jack packages?

jackd-svn is simply the latest Subversion checkout of jack-audio-connection-kit and jackmp-svn is an alternate JACK server...

jackdmp is a C++ version of the Jack low-latency audio server for mono and multi-processor machines. It is a new implementation of the jack server core features that aims in removing some limitations of the current design. The activation system has been changed for a data flow model and lock-free programming techniques for graph access have been used to have a more dynamic and robust system.

From http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html

Hopefully we'll get an Arch Multimedia release.

I'd like to see that as I need audio for not only podcasts but also screencasts so applications like kdenlive and blender are first class proaudio packages from my point of view. They all revolve around the extended audio facilities that Jack provides and that kind of, to me, means video does indeed depend on these proaudio packages.

BTW funkmuscle, updating the repo is not a big deal and it's easy once set up. Just updating a version number or changing a speeling mistake is a valid reason to update a PKGBUILD. So you don't have to just be an end-user, you can easily help maintain any of the packages with simple changes, until you get the hang of things.

#302 2007-11-11 17:13:16

btartsa

Funkmuscle: An Arch multimedia release is only one pacman -Syu away smile

Markc: Thanks for the great work! I'm aiming to get the wiki updated with all the information on the SVN repository later this afternoon.

#303 2007-11-11 17:29:23

funkmuscle

Sweet!!!!
You dudes rock.
will anyone be addressing video and graphic apps?

great markc. will try to assist where ever possible.

openmovieeditor, jahshaka, and cinerella are great video/audio apps.

Last edited by funkmuscle (2007-11-12 14:37:43)

#304 2007-11-11 18:38:58

berkus
Website

Video and graphic is next in the queue wink

keep in touch.

#305 2007-11-11 18:40:24

berkus
Website

markc, will it work if I submit my i686 packages to the sibling svn repository? Will save me a lot of setup burdens and make all folks instant access to keep the repo up to date.

keep in touch.

#306 2007-11-11 22:55:20

markc
Website

berkus wrote:

markc, will it work if I submit my i686 packages to the sibling svn repository? Will save me a lot of setup burdens and make all folks instant access to keep the repo up to date.

Sure, go ahead. I think you need to do a https checkout of the current packages using your google code account, move your 46 packages into your checked out working copy directory, and then "svn add new_folder ; svn commit" each new folder you've added. You could do a single svn commit after adding all new directories but it will create a massive diff/log (no big deal though).

#307 2007-11-21 14:25:21

markc
Website

A few new sources packages uploaded to the Subversion repo. Not all of them working correctly, or even compiling properly. Feedback most welcome.

wengophone
jack-rack
ecasound
midicomp
jack_capture
midish
gneutronica

# not working
kernel-26231rt11

# not working
ibsndfile

# PKGBUILD almost working correctly, boots okay
kernel-2624rc2rt1

# not working, something about k2.6.24
nvidia-2624rc2rt1

#308 2007-11-21 23:51:41

funkmuscle

which nvidia works..
I can't load any of the rt kernels Xserver.
nvidia-96xx works for regular kernel but can't get any of the rt to work.
I had an ati card 3 days ago, that worked but not the nvidia will not.

#309 2007-11-22 06:42:23

markc
Website

funkmuscle wrote:

which nvidia works..

Sorry but the main kernel-26231rt11 (new naming scheme) was not building properly however it seems to be building now and installing correctly, and the associated nvidia-26231rt11 package also builds and installs for me. I'm running both packages as I type this. The idea of the change in naming scheme is so that truly independent kernels can be installed at the same time. The previous ones always overwrote the "kernel26rt" package parts so only a single version could be installed at anyone time. With our cutting edge RT kernel builds we need to be able to install 2 or 3 at anyone time for testing and to have something safer to fallback to.

I'm not sure I have the optimum PKGBUILD layout for the kernel so if anyone has any comments I'd appreciate it. I should put instructions, in the PKGBUILD, as to what filenames and contents needs to be changed when updating to a new kernel. The packagename should be obvious, just the full kernel + patch + rtpatch without dots/dashes, but getting the right details inside the PKGBUILD and associated files is tricky.

http://pkg.markconstable.com/proaudio/i32/ (kernel-2624rc2rt1 has no associated nvidia package yet)

# /var/abs/local/proaudio svn commit
Adding         kernel-26231rt11
Adding         kernel-26231rt11/PKGBUILD
Adding         kernel-26231rt11/config
Adding         kernel-26231rt11/config.x86_64
Adding         kernel-26231rt11/kernel-2.6.23.1_rt11.install
Adding         kernel-26231rt11/kernel-2.6.23.1_rt11.preset
Adding         kernel-26231rt11/mkinitcpio-kernel-2.6.23.1_rt11.conf
Transmitting file data ......
Committed revision 47.

One thing to consider are the supplied i686 and x86_64 config files as I'm sure the included ones are getting a bit "stale". When kernel 2.6.24 AL packages hits the official testing repos I'll use the config from the official AL 2.6.24-ARCH kernel and create a patch to add the RT modifications.

The latest source package contents are always here for anyone who does not want to checkout the Subversion repository...

http://proaudio.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

#310 2007-11-23 02:18:25

funkmuscle

still cannot start X. getting error saying "cannot load kernel module nvidia"
the vanilla kernel loads fine.
do I need to add nvidia to the rc.conf?

#311 2007-11-23 02:47:53

markc
Website

There is no nvidia listed in my /etc/rc.conf MODULES=() but it would not hurt.

# lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia               6213488  24
agpgart                27092  1 nvidia
i2c_core               20352  1 nvidia

# grep nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        Driver          "nvidia"

# pacman -Q | grep 2623
kernel-26231rt11 2.6.23-4
nvidia-26231rt11 100.14.19-1

I presume you have built both of the matching 2623 kernel and nvidia modules ? If not then you could try the pair from my binary repo.

[proaudio-i32]
Server = http://pkg.markconstable.com/proaudio/i32

#312 2007-11-23 03:33:53

funkmuscle

here are my results:

lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia               6213168  24
agpgart                27096  1 nvidia
i2c_core               20096  1 nvidia

# grep nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Wed Sep 12 14:29:35 PDT 2007
    Driver         "nvidia"

# pacman -Q | grep 2623
kernel-26231rt11 2.6.23-4
nvidia-26231rt11 100.14.19-1

#313 2007-11-23 04:43:44

markc
Website

Are you sure you have booted into the 2.6.23.1_rt11 kernel ? All I can think of is you might have loaded the wrong nvidia.ko (I have 3 different ones onboard atm).

# uname -r
2.6.23.1_rt11

# find /lib/modules/2.6.23.1_rt11 -name nvidia.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.23.1_rt11/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

# perhaps try this (presuming no desktop has loaded)
rmmod nvidia
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1_rt11/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

Oh, and I presume you have something like this in your /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

title           ArchLinux 32bit 2.6.23.1_rt11 (sda5)
root            (hd0,4)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1_rt11 root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet acpi=off vga=791
initrd          /boot/kernel-2.6.23.1_rt11.img

Last edited by markc (2007-11-23 04:49:13)

#314 2007-11-23 12:10:05

funkmuscle

will check tonight but it looks like you've pointed out a few things that matches something I found lastnight.
Will double check my grub when I get in...
Thanx markc for the great job and help...

#315 2007-11-23 12:30:50

funkmuscle

have any of you guys tried anything from here?:
http://q-lang.sourceforge.net/examples.html#Multimedia

#316 2007-11-24 17:12:10

funkmuscle

just tried to build kdenlive as it crashes when using the pkg from extra. tried both kdenlive and kdenlive-svn.
issues with mlt.
now trying the proaudio build, I get this while building:

compiling /var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cp
p
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./kdenlive -I/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kden
live/kdenlive -I. -I/opt/kde/include -I/opt/qt/include -I. -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MAC
ROS -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -D_REENTRANT -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURC
E=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -O2
-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribut
e -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DENABLE_FIRE
WIRE -c /var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp
-o ./kdenlive/kdenlive.o -Wp,-MD,./kdenlive/.deps/kdenlive.TUo
In file included from /var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive
/kdenlive.cpp:117:
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/trackpanelclipmovefun
ction.h:166:2: warning: #warning - The following method is a bad example for pro
gramming design.
In file included from /var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive
/kdenlive.cpp:37:
/opt/kde/include/kedittoolbar.h:271: warning: 'KEditToolbarWidget' has a field '
KEditToolbarWidget::m_inactiveList' whose type uses the anonymous namespace
/opt/kde/include/kedittoolbar.h:271: warning: 'KEditToolbarWidget' has a field '
KEditToolbarWidget::m_activeList' whose type uses the anonymous namespace
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp: In memb
er function 'void Gui::KdenliveApp::parseProfiles()':
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp:308: err
or: 'MLT_PREFIX' was not declared in this scope
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp: In memb
er function 'void Gui::KdenliveApp::initActions()':
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp:802: war
ning: unused variable 'projectDeleteMarkers'
er function 'void Gui::KdenliveApp::slotSetClipDuration()':
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp:3482: wa
rning: unused variable 'ok'
er function 'void Gui::KdenliveApp::slotProjectDeleteClips(QStringList)':
/var/abs/local/proaudio/kdenlive-svn/src/kdenlive/kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp:3652: wa
rning: unused variable 'refClip'
Error creating ./kdenlive/kdenlive.o. Exit status 1.
make: *** [all] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

*****by the way markc, got the rt kernel work with nvidia... it was my grub settings. take you. getting some xruns which I never had with the first rt kernel way back if that helps*****

#317 2007-11-24 17:31:22

funkmuscle

uninstalled mlt++, mlt-svn, and kdenlive-svn and installed from your repo markc.
it installed but I get this now:

kdenlive:  + + YOUR MLT INSTALL WAS FOUND IN: /usr
kdenlive: ---------  close 1b
kdenlive: ---------  close 2b
kdenlive: Mlt inited
kdenlive: Creating new document
kdenlive: deleting contents...
kdenlive: Creating new document DONE
kdenlive: ---------  close 3b
kdenlive: ****************  INIT DOCUMENT VIEW ***************
Failed to load plugin: libmlt.so.0.2.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
kdenlive: ERROR: Sorry, cannot create MLT consumer, check your MLT install you miss SDL libraries support in MLT

#318 2007-11-25 15:02:30

markc
Website

Sorry funkmuscle, the latest svn kdenlive and mlt/mlt++ won't build properly for me here. It seems like there is just too much slack between the various dependent libs and as far as I can tell, even upstream source is not all using the very latest code... it's "all" moving too fast. I think what you need to do is comment out [proaudio-i32] in /etc/pacman.conf and reinstall ffmpeg, mlt-svn, mlt++ and kdenlive-svn from community. You may need to use -d to prevent dependency checking for mlt++ (I had trouble downgrading to it from my mlt++-svn).

As for the kernel, I must admit I am not too impressed with (any) rt kernels performance but I have not gone through any rt kernel configs to make sure they're as fine tuned as they could be. I was hoping that a few of us all working on the same pkgbuilds would eventually find the right balance but, so far, I seem to be the only one modifying these particular PKGBUILDs so they lack the power of "many eyes make shallow bugs".

I think getting a really good kernel would require many dozens of active svn submitters and they may never happen. I'm not sure what to do except hope that some other folks pick up on these pkgbuilds and help keep them updated. I am absolutely convinced that using subversion blows away anything to do with AUR as far as speed of development and updates so this part of the equation is potentially very good. A good common source binary package distribution is still awkward but the source packages under subversion is so easy to manage compared to AUR.

#319 2007-11-28 04:02:44

markc
Website

Added kernel-26239rt12 and nvidia-26239rt12 but remember it's a completely separate kernel package so you have to update your /boot/grub/menu.lst with this specific kernel to be able to boot on it. Here's my example...

title           ArchLinux 32bit 2.6.23.9_rt12 (sda7)
root            (hd0,6)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9_rt12 root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet acpi=off vga=791
initrd          /boot/kernel-2.6.23.9_rt12.img

blender-svn-12133, pmidi-1.6.0, qtractor-0.0.3 and schismtracker-0.5rc1 got added to my binary repo at http://pkg.markconstable.com/proaudio/i32/. Using berkus' wonderful buildemall script now gets through about half the source package builds but these are the ones that still fail... in case anyone is bored and wants to look at them...

Finding failed builds:
xxx ./sooperlooper
xxx ./timidity
xxx ./qjackctl
xxx ./clam-svn
xxx ./chionic
xxx ./pd
xxx ./rezound
xxx ./sfarkxtc
xxx ./wine-fst
xxx ./kwave
xxx ./zynaddsubfx
xxx ./vkeybd
xxx ./spiralsynthmodular
xxx ./lmms-svn
xxx ./seq24
xxx ./clam-networkeditor-svn
xxx ./libsoundtouch
xxx ./portaudio-svn
xxx ./nvidia-rt
xxx ./mlt-svn
xxx ./ardour-svn
xxx ./gmodplay
xxx ./nekobee
xxx ./fxload
xxx ./sineshaper
xxx ./freewheeling
xxx ./patchage
xxx ./libfreebob-svn
xxx ./fst
xxx ./shaketracker

Update: and as I just found out, the newer kernel and nvidia package has to be explicitly installed, it does not show up as a kernel update that automatically installs. I guess that is the cost of being able to run completely independent and separate kernel packages. I've now booted on it and it's running okay along with the latest jackd-svn package.

Last edited by markc (2007-11-28 04:31:02)

#320 2007-11-28 11:55:59

funkmuscle

qtractor, I'm using 0.0.8, is the one you have different or just older?
same with libsigc++1.2, I'm using libsigc++2.0

#321 2007-12-08 17:53:30

jonkristian
Website

Okay, been away for a while, now I'm confused... Which repo is the most current? why are there more than one repo?

PROCRASTINATION
is like masturbation...it's good in the beginning, but in the end, you realize
you've just fkd yourself

#322 2007-12-09 09:32:05

markc
Website

jonn3 wrote:

Which repo is the most current? why are there more than one repo?

Mine at http://pkg.markconstable.com/ is incomplete so I would suggest using http://arch.madfire.net/proaudio/i686/. The best source package repo is at http://proaudio.googlecode.com/ and anyone is welcome to help maintain the Subversion repo of PKGBUILDs.

#323 2007-12-13 12:11:37

funkmuscle

can anyone help me with this?
trying to build the latest Rosegarden but it fails:

[ 29%] Building CXX object RGbuild/CMakeFiles/RosegardenExtended.dir/gui/configu
ration/AudioConfigurationPage.o
/var/abs/local/rosegarden/src/rosegarden-1.6.0/src/gui/configuration/AudioConfig
urationPage.cpp: In constructor 'Rosegarden::AudioConfigurationPage::AudioConfig
urationPage(Rosegarden::RosegardenGUIDoc*, KConfig*, QWidget*, const char*)':
/var/abs/local/rosegarden/src/rosegarden-1.6.0/src/gui/configuration/AudioConfig
urationPage.cpp:105: error: 'm_audioRecFormat' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp:147: error: 'm_createFaderOuts' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp:154: error: 'm_createSubmasterOuts' was not declared in this sco
pe
urationPage.cpp:188: error: 'm_startJack' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp:202: error: 'm_jackPath' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp: In member function 'virtual void Rosegarden::AudioConfiguration
Page::apply()':
urationPage.cpp:230: error: 'm_startJack' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp:231: error: 'm_jackPath' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp:236: error: 'm_createFaderOuts' was not declared in this scope
urationPage.cpp:237: error: 'm_createSubmasterOuts' was not declared in this sco
pe
urationPage.cpp:238: error: 'm_audioRecFormat' was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [RGbuild/CMakeFiles/RosegardenExtended.dir/gui/configuration/AudioC
onfigurationPage.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [RGbuild/CMakeFiles/RosegardenExtended.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

#324 2007-12-13 12:35:31

markc
Website

No clues here. Any chance of adding to the Subversion repo and I will also try to build it and see what happens.

#325 2007-12-13 13:18:23

markc
Website

Added kernel-26239rt13 and nvidia-26239rt13 to the subversion repo and 64bit untested binary packages (I haven't actually booted on them yet) are here, fwiw http://pkg.markconstable.com/proaudio/i … pkg.tar.gz and http://pkg.markconstable.com/proaudio/i … pkg.tar.gz

Board footer