You are not logged in.

#401 2008-06-04 14:06:36

funkmuscle

Re: ProAudio repository for Arch users

Hey guys, I'm really looking for some kinda convolver for Arch but jack_convolve or dssi_convolve won't build.
I like using the impulse response but so far, I can only use vst plugins.

does anyone use them or know how to build them?

#402 2008-06-04 17:49:00

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I'll take a look at them soon. In the meantime can you update dssi-vst (and possibly others) in Google Code? Thanks. Btw the Psychosynth thing is a fun thing. Really cool, and once you try to visualise the reacTable instrument itself it just gets cooler..or warmer.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#403 2008-06-04 18:07:37

funkmuscle

my password and username is failing:
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/trunk': authorization failed (https://proaudio.googlecode.com)

tried again. got the svn passwd generated at google but it still fails.
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: MKACTIVITY of '/svn/!svn/act/b84f6c6d-0454-4447-bdda-cefd69b69fe0': authorization failed (http://proaudio.googlecode.com)

I'm new to this. It could be me screwing up.

Last edited by funkmuscle (2008-06-04 18:27:15)

#404 2008-06-05 15:06:16

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

You have to do it with https, a common typo lol Just copy the exact code shown in the "Source" page.

#405 2008-06-05 18:44:12

funkmuscle

that's what I've done and still I get this:
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: MKACTIVITY of '/svn/!svn/act/bf061ec1-d4b5-467a-a410-bcdc814b3655': authorization failed (http://proaudio.googlecode.com)

I started with this:
svn checkout https://proaudio.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ proaudio --username
accepts my username and the generated password but it fails at the
svn commit -m

I'm following the instructions markc gave me.

#406 2008-06-05 21:43:03

markc
Website

You probably have somehow got the anon read-only and authenticated read-write repos mixed up, see where ithe error says auth failed for the http URL. Cd to the parent of the current proaudio dir, mv proaudio proaudio.old, try the full auth'd https checkout again, cd to proaudio, edit somepkg/PKGBUILD and make a trivial change (add a blank line, whatever), svn commit -m "Testing upload privs". If that then works okay then copy your changes from proaudio.old and try again. Don't copy folders, just files, as all the folders have a .svn meta dir and the proaudio.old variety are probably from an anonymous read-only checkout. It takes everyone a few attempts to get used to using any VCS, but it's worth it.

#407 2008-06-06 12:40:47

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Something to point out is that whenever adding any file:

svn add $file

We have the addnewdirs script to add new directories. But always, before a commit, do:

svn stat

It reports on the sanity of the current workdir (like ? for unknown/unadded dirs/files and M for modified files) smile

#408 2008-06-06 14:53:50

markc
Website

@schivmeister: good point about svn stat.

General comments, shouldn't there be something like a kernelrt package that tracks the latest kernel + rt patch set? (instead of the various kernel26rt-??? kernels)... or, what is the current rt kernel that everyone is using ?

Would it be worth while to amalgamate _syncscripts/*, addnewdirs, cleanall, failedbuilds, makeall and stats into a single "proaudio" package that installs a clean rewrite of all these scripts into /usr/bin and /etc for any conf files?

I can imagine a "proaudio cleanall", "proaudio makeall" and "proaudio stats" (etc) kind of script would not be too hard to create, using an /etc/proaudio.conf and ~/.proaudio.conf override for various settings.

And, is anyone providing regular i686 and/or x86_64 binary packages directly from these source packages ?

#409 2008-06-06 17:42:09

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Oh, I think the reason why multiple kernels exist is because one is apparently better than the others. I can confirm this to some extent myself because 2.6.23 still has less XRUNs than the current 2.6.25 on very tight JACK settings. We can always just include kernel26rt and people can build off that PKGBUILD if they want other kernels, but the problem is the build method itself and files involved which tend to change across different versions (like how the transition from .23 to .24 involved deprecating i386 and x86-64 directories for just one x86).

We can go with a more complex setup including a "configuration script" like http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=13900 but would that be worth the trouble, i.e KISS? Furthermore, people most likely would prefer binaries of each rather than a script to build different kernels for themselves so it only makes sense for upstream svn builds. I do, however, think that we don't need all 5. But I need to confirm with you first because you're the one who uploaded them.

Regarding the scripts, that was exactly my plan. I was looking to merge them, however there needs to be discussion on whether a Makefile should be used alongside as well (in which case the scripting method will be different). As for binaries, Berkus' madfire repo appears to have them (or maybe the GC svn repo has his PKGBUILDs?). They look like older packages, though.

#410 2008-06-06 18:57:44

markc
Website

Re kernels, some comments. There are two scenarios, the normal AL core kernel uses the same labels on each update so a new one naturally replaces the previous one. The kernel26rt-???? packages I uploaded were a kind of "proof of concept" on how to modify the "normal" builds so they could remain as separate kernels along side other kernels, so we could have multiple kernel boot options (in grub) in case an older one proved to be better than the latest. Both approaches are useful. There could be a "generic latest", with labels that do not change, that just replaces the previous kernel when upgraded and, perhaps as well, one or two parallel kernels packages that are known to work well (or removed if proven to be a dud). I stopped adding or updating the kernel26rt-????s because I did not have a clear idea how to modify the config file for each new version, I was just copying a previous kernel config, so the config would be getting stale and out of sync with each new kernel.

I have no idea which of the kernel26rt-???? packages are better or worse so (anyone) feel free to remove the dud or useless ones. I haven't checked out the "configure script" in that Git repo you linked to to be able to comment... it'a good that there is perhaps an option to look at.

Re unified build script idea, only comment I can think of is I'd lean towards a bash-only build script(s)... no Makefile and no ruby/perl/python dependencies. I think the first thing is to decide on a package name, and "proaudio" is unique enough for one suggestion, create the folder for it and move everything into so it becomes a first class citizen with a PKGBUILD like all the other package folders (_syncscripts/ is like a 2nd class directory without a PKGBUILD to install it, same with the root scripts). If we get a simple bash-only build script(s) working then anyone could also add optional extra fancy ruby/perl/python alternatives.

/me +1 for calling the new build/management package "proaudio" with a /usr/bin/proaudio bash script to build this repo... unless someone can think of another label that is more relevent.

#411 2008-06-06 22:23:08

btartsa

$ uname -a
Linux h3apI 2.6.22-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Oct 17 17:12:36 PDT 2007 i686 Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

For my money this kernel is still the best. The latest builds have so many new kernel options that I have no idea what the are/do. It's really a compile crapshoot as there really are no docs, and most web info is either totally outdated of flatly contradicts other sites. Development and documentation are clearly not keeping pace...but thats to be expected.

The wiki is outdated and I intend to fix it. I would like to make it far more definitive. A kernel option section would be nice.

A proposal: Perhaps we could post and discuss our kernel configs? 

A question: On a dual cpu machine w/ single cores and hyperthreading disabled should you ever see smp_affinity values besides 1 or 2?

Good news: I did a demo for a friends band this week and it went really well. 5 songs recorded on 8 tracks without a hitch!

#412 2008-06-10 11:37:21

funkmuscle

hey schivmeister, over at LinuxMusicians site, you asked about Qtractor and loading softsynths, are you having the same issues with Rosegarden-1.7.0?
The earlier Rosegarden works fine but the latest will load the synths but the EDITOR button does nothing. It could be a DSSI issue!!

Also, is anyone using wine-1.0.rc? I dunno if it's dssi-vst or the latest wine but Ardourvst will not launch... I get a wine-dbg prompt..
The latest dssi-vst load vst plugins into all audio apps that uses ladspa but it doesn't work that well with all apps. On regular Ardour, vst plugins show up in the plugins field, they load but gives a hi pitched feedback noise when active..

Last edited by funkmuscle (2008-06-10 11:48:01)

#413 2008-06-13 16:37:26

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

That must be a Wine+JACK issue, rather. Did you use to select JACK output in winecfg before?

#414 2008-06-13 16:45:44

funkmuscle

looks like it may have been Wine. I tried the same version but used the wine-suse version from AUR and that works..

#415 2008-06-15 15:21:04

funkmuscle

hey guys, following the proaudio wiki:

# chrt -f -p 89 `pidof "jackd"`
sched_getscheduler: No such process
failed to get pid 89's policy

what am I missing??

#416 2008-06-15 18:37:07

btartsa

funkmuscle: Im going to update that part of the wiki as some things have changed w/ newer kernels. But to answer your question you simply need to do that as root smile.

Experiment w/ this technique:

$ ps -e | grep timer
    4 ?        00:00:00 posix_cpu_timer
    6 ?        00:51:38 softirq-timer/0
   12 ?        00:00:00 softirq-hrtimer
   16 ?        00:00:00 posix_cpu_timer
   18 ?        00:45:53 softirq-timer/1
   24 ?        00:00:00 softirq-hrtimer

Now chrt all those pids:

$sudo chrt -f -p 99 4
$sudo chrt -f -p 99 6
$sudo chrt -f -p 99  12
$sudo chrt -f -p 99 16
$sudo chrt -f -p 99 24

cat /proc/interrupts and find your sound card...mines IRQ 18. Repeat The above process for that IRQ...and maybe Jackd too.

Good luck!

#417 2008-06-15 19:13:03

funkmuscle

thanx btartsa..
my IRQ is shared with my nic and usb.... would that be an issue?

#418 2008-06-19 12:58:21

funkmuscle

Hey, I'm trying to build linuxsampler to add to the repo but it needs libgig and that fails to build:

RIFF.cpp: In member function 'void RIFF::List::MoveSubChunk(RIFF::Chunk*, RIFF::Chunk*)':
RIFF.cpp:1172: error: no matching function for call to 'find(std::_List_iterator<RIFF::Chunk*>, std::_List_iterator<RIFF::Chunk*>, RIFF::Chunk*&)'
make[3]: *** [RIFF.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-harv/aur-libgig/libgig/src/libgig-3.2.1/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-harv/aur-libgig/libgig/src/libgig-3.2.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-harv/aur-libgig/libgig/src/libgig-3.2.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

shinlun had a build in AUR and that never worked for me. That was before my system crashed. Now, with a fresh install, and no testing packages, this libgig gives issues.
at their website, they said that the gcc issues has been fixed.

any help guys?

#419 2008-06-24 12:43:07

j.roszk
Website

funkmuscle wrote:

at their website, they said that the gcc issues has been fixed.

gcc issues have been fixed in CVS, last stable version has to be patched in order to compile. Here's the patch:

https://bugs.linuxsampler.org/cgi-bin/a … .cgi?id=35

Last edited by j.roszk (2008-06-24 20:10:39)

#420 2008-06-24 17:48:32

funkmuscle

thanx j.roszk but now linuxsampler ain't building.... I looked for a patch but I really dunno what I'm looking for.

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -pthread -msse -MT liblinuxsamplerdb_la-InstrumentsDb.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/liblinuxsamplerdb_la-InstrumentsDb.Tpo -c InstrumentsDb.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/liblinuxsamplerdb_la-InstrumentsDb.o
In file included from InstrumentsDb.h:31,
                 from InstrumentsDb.cpp:21:
InstrumentsDbUtilities.h:105: error: expected initializer before '<' token
InstrumentsDbUtilities.h:106: error: expected initializer before '<' token
InstrumentsDbUtilities.h:164: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDbUtilities.h:171: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDbUtilities.h:178: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDbUtilities.h:185: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
In file included from InstrumentsDb.cpp:21:
InstrumentsDb.h:170: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:267: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:360: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:435: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:498: error: 'IntListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:509: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:644: error: 'IntListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:780: error: 'IntListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.h:785: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:186: error: 'IntListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:194: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:219: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp: In member function 'void LinuxSampler::InstrumentsDb::RemoveDirectoryContent(int, int)':
InstrumentsDb.cpp:363: error: 'IntListPtr' was not declared in this scope
InstrumentsDb.cpp:363: error: expected `;' before 'dirIds'
InstrumentsDb.cpp:365: error: 'dirIds' was not declared in this scope
InstrumentsDb.cpp: In member function 'void LinuxSampler::InstrumentsDb::RemoveAllDirectories(int)':
InstrumentsDb.cpp:387: error: 'IntListPtr' was not declared in this scope
InstrumentsDb.cpp:387: error: expected `;' before 'dirIds'
InstrumentsDb.cpp:389: error: 'dirIds' was not declared in this scope
InstrumentsDb.cpp: At global scope:
InstrumentsDb.cpp:790: error: 'IntListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:797: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp: In member function 'void LinuxSampler::InstrumentsDb::DirectoryTreeWalk(LinuxSampler::DirectoryHandler*, String, int, int)':
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1286: error: 'StringListPtr' was not declared in this scope
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1286: error: expected `;' before 'pDirs'
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1287: error: 'pDirs' was not declared in this scope
InstrumentsDb.cpp: At global scope:
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1297: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1317: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1504: error: 'IntListPtr' does not name a type
InstrumentsDb.cpp:1530: error: 'StringListPtr' does not name a type
make[3]: *** [liblinuxsamplerdb_la-InstrumentsDb.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-harv/aur-linuxsampler/linuxsampler/src/linuxsampler-0.5.1/src/db'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-harv/aur-linuxsampler/linuxsampler/src/linuxsampler-0.5.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-harv/aur-linuxsampler/linuxsampler/src/linuxsampler-0.5.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build linuxsampler package.

#421 2008-06-24 20:09:56

j.roszk
Website

It's the same thing - missing headers (there are so many problems with gcc 4.3, because it doesn't include some headers indirectly anymore (which was non-standard behaviour).

Here's the patch:

http://nopaste.ch/en/f387a5863bd5089.html

I won't post it in linuxsampler bugtracker, since it's already been fixed in CVS.

#422 2008-06-24 20:12:56

funkmuscle

thanx again... I will try to build now.

#423 2008-07-02 15:11:30

btartsa

A few questions:

Rezound is broke. I think the problem is a mix up w/ soundtouch. Any ideas?

Can someone whip up a pkgbuild for lv2-svn? I just noticed while building ardour that it now requires the svn version.

On a side note...seems no matter what I can't commit to the google repo. I tried from the cli and am now using qsvn. Confusion abounds! I'll post errors when i get home if requested.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by btartsa (2008-07-02 15:23:40)

#424 2008-07-04 21:29:31

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I can confirm that, ReZound is broken. A further problem is that building ReZound with GCC 4.3 is a no-go as claimed in the AUR page, so someone needs to downgrade, test build and kill/fix the runtime bug.

slv2-svn is now up, along with linuxsampler et al. Thanks to jroszk for one of the patches, now at least the CLI suite works. In the meantime someone feel free to update and commit qsampler as well.

Just copy-paste the code in the Source page, it's secure checkout via https. Sometimes you may need to do it a second time for it be able to ping the server. I prefer cli since it's faster:

svn ci -m "Added blah blah, fixed foo, removed bar ..."

Changed the ReadMe to a ChangeLog and noticed there was a binary too lol Might we be able to deploy a binary mirror right in there?

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-07-04 21:36:57)

#425 2008-07-05 01:11:05

funkmuscle

slv2-svn built but it's not working with Ardour.

libs/ardour/lv2_plugin.cc: In member function 'virtual void ARDOUR::LV2Plugin::print_parameter(uint32_t, char*, uint32_t) const':
libs/ardour/lv2_plugin.cc:434: error: 'strcat' was not declared in this scope
libs/ardour/lv2_plugin.cc: In member function 'void ARDOUR::LV2Plugin::latency_compute_run()':
libs/ardour/lv2_plugin.cc:470: error: 'memset' was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [libs/ardour/lv2_plugin.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

Thanx for the linuxsampler and the stuff that goes with it.

Board footer