You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-04 15:20:11

straydog

X problem after upgrade

I upgraded with Pacman a few days ago. When I brought it back up, it errored out opening KDE. I narrowed the problem down looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The offending section as follows:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
(II) Module vgahw: vendor=X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 7.2.0, module version = 0.1.0
    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.1
(II) I810(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
    "Builtin Default i810 Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
(==) I810(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
(EE) I810(0): Given bpp (32) is not supported by i810 driver
(II) UnloadModule "i810"
(II) UnloadModule "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Any ideas? Watching the forums over the last few, I haven't seen this one come up. Any help would be appreciated. I don't really want to reload that box as it is my main PC.

Thanks,
Bill

P.S. Please be patient if I don't get back to you right away. We are in the middle of a move.:(

#2 2007-03-04 19:39:40

Borelia

Re: X problem after upgrade

Kdebase has a bug. I updated 2 computers to day, the boot was fine, but I noticed that if I wanted to change my screen resolution, this part was gone. I was only able to change gamme and power - the first window was gone.

#3 2007-03-05 15:33:09

straydog

Sorry. Perhaps I should clarify. When I say it errors out opening KDE, I mean it doesn't open KDE. The information displayed is excerpts from the above listed log file. I tried another WM in case it was a KDE bug, but got the same result, no GUI. I tried another upgrade the day before yesterday in case it was a known kernel bug, no help. All I probably accomplished was overwriting my backup kernel.

Thanks,
Bill

#4 2007-03-10 21:34:30

straydog

Okay, here's an update. I installed Arch anew on a second drive (hdc) that used to be a Ubuntu drive. Grub overwrote the old grub on drive hda. Now I can't access my Win2000 (but I don't care so much about that) and the new Arch install acts the same. I assumed it was a problem with the i810 driver from xorg. I ran Pacman -Syu on my other Arch box, thinking it was safe because it's a different box and uses the s3virge driver, but guess what...a similar problem. "virtual width to (sic) wide for ViRGE" and "Fatal server error: no screens found" so no KDE. What am I missing that has suddenly come up with Pacman updates? I can't believe I'm the only one who's had this problem (unless I'm the only one who missed the memo). I'll admit, I've been just a user lately who runs updates once a week or so. I got spoiled and lazy and now my stuff is broke. Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

#5 2007-03-10 23:35:37

straydog

Hmm. There is no xorg.conf in /etc/X11 (or anywhere else on my boxes). Has that been changed?

Bill

Board footer