I want to install Arch Linux (Netinstall ISO Voodoo 0.8 Beta 2) on my new Server.
- Intel Pentium M 1.6 Ghz (Duron)
- Intel i915G Chipset
- Marvell Gbit PCI-Express 1 Gbit LAN Adapter
- 3ware 9560 SE Raid Controller (PCI-Express) - Raid 1 with 2 400 GB SATA 2 harddrives
After selecting the base packages during the installation routine, the setup process starts to download the selected packages. But when downloading the first package (pacman) or second package the download stops (the connection breaks). I tested several arch linux mirrors and installed an extra network adapter (Intel Pro 100+), but the download always breaks.
The next step to find a solution for this problem, was to use the base-installation-iso and install the packages from CD. This was no problem. I installed arch linux without problems, but when I make a "pacman -Syu" at the console the package downloading breaks at the first or second package. (the connection breaks) and the pacman updating process hungs up. With STRG + C I can cancel the process.
Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad english
I make further tests:
1. disable Marvell onboard Gbit Network Adapter in BIOS / instead install a standard intel pro 100 Network Adapter
2. Set BIOS options back to default
3. Remove the 3ware Controller with SATA Harddrives completely and install a standard IDE Hard-Drive
4. Make an standard installation with recommended options
But I can't find a solution for the problem! The download hung up the hole time by downloading pacman or the first base package :-(
After a CD-ROM installation I make a test download (source code package from kernel.org / about 40 mb) with wget. The download was sucessfully without error!
Maybe it's a pacman bug? Are there any log files for pacman download an installation process?
Last edited by Flasher (2007-03-07 22:23:54)
Flasher, I'm having a similar issue, if not the same issue/bug you found, but on different hardware... I had a fully functional Arch desktop, and started noticing Pacman was slow as hell, the download hung up constantly, but everything worked fine on other apps i remember i tested (axel, firefox, ktorrent, etc). So i decided to reinstall the distro... and can't do it via FTP, same problem (slow download / download hangs up, both on "downloading pacman" and pacman itself)
My hardware configuration:
-> Pentium 4 2.26ghz (pretty sure with Hyperthreading)
-> ASUS P4V8X-X motherboard (VIA P4X533 / VIA VT8237)
-> Eth0: Realtek 8139 (Not using it)
-> Eth1: VIA Rhine (or compatible) with DHCP
ISP ==== Router/Modem ==== D-Link DI-604 HUB (pretty much default plus a Virtual Server) === PC
-> Plain 10gb IDE HD (hdb on IDE-Legacy - sdb on PATA)
I was thinking it could be stability problems with my connection / ISP... There's still a chance, but then it would not happen all the time for a couple weeks long. Now i know this doesn't happen only with me. Anyone also having the same trouble? What can we do? Any ideas about how to solve this? I'm almost giving up, already tried using "ide-legacy", loading modules, etc, nothing happens, and don't know how to further diagnosticate =/
Sorry if i mess up your topic and make trouble, but now it makes me think I'm not (so) crazy Also sorry for my horrible English,
Ricardo / Fang
Last edited by RR_Fang (2007-03-08 00:00:19)
after further hours of testing I could isolate the error. It was the router..... I use M0n0wall (a freebsd based routing software / opensource) with a special embedded board. (WARP Platform) The M0n0wall is available in different versions. I used the newest beta release (1.3 Beta 2) This version blocks incoming packets which are from different IPs as the outgoing connection (for example ftp.archlinux.org has behind it's DNS name a couple of IP-Adresses) I don't now exactly why, but the firewall (M0n0wall) blocks some packages of the ftp connection. After downgrading M0n0wall to 1.23 Beta 4 it runs perfektly!
Last edited by Flasher (2007-03-08 14:37:37)