You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-14 15:02:15

Master One

How to use Gnome services without Gnome (like Xfce4 can do)?

Derived from this thread, I'd like to know, if there are any Gnome services, that are run when Gnome is started, that can be loaded on login for Gnome apps when not using Gnome as a DE (I have to admit, that I am not familiar with the Gnome environment).

The point is, I remember an option in the XFCE4 setup for loading KDE and Gnome environment on XFCE4 start, to speed up the use of KDE and Gnome apps in XFCE4, so I assume Gnome has it's own services as well, like KDE.

I am actually examining FVWM, and looking into the matter to equally use KDE/QT and Gnome/GTK+ apps without any disadvantages compared to their use in their own environment (wouldn't it be great to be able to freely choose apps without caring about the DE they were designed for?).

P.S. The KDE services can be started manually with kdeinit & kded, but this seems to be a workaround. Anybody knows, what the mentioned XFCE4 settings for loading KDE and Gnome environments on XCE4 start actually do (I assume there has to be a single command for each to accomplish the automatic loading task)?

Board footer