You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-15 09:29:36

ckristi

AudioCDs appearing on my KDE desktop (JMicron users, you should read)

Hi.

After upgrading my motherboard from an 865PE based one to a 965P chipset I observed strange behaviour of HAL (probably). From time to time it appears the system gets some signal from one of my dvds and the popup about what I want to do appears. It sees the disk (that doesn't exist in any of the drives) as an AudioCD. After this, it puts an icon on my desktop which reads "AudioCD" and cannot be removed. Sometimes more icons like this appear.. none of them beeing removable. What should I do. I mention that the IDE controller that handles the DVD is a JMicron one, because ICH8 does not support IDE anymore. The only thing odd in my system is that JMicron shares the same IRQ with my video card. But that should not be a problem, I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help or suggestions.

Last edited by ckristi (2007-03-18 10:32:34)

In love I believe and in Linux I trust

#2 2007-03-16 14:34:08

ckristi

Re: AudioCDs appearing on my KDE desktop (JMicron users, you should read)

Well.. I got into the core of the problem.. It seems my JMicron driver is buggy. It throws "hde: appears to be confused" or something like this to the logs.. followed by a large number of lines like: "DriveSeek.. stuff". What am I supposed to do!?

#3 2007-03-17 10:18:50

ckristi

Re: AudioCDs appearing on my KDE desktop (JMicron users, you should read)

Solved (important for every user that has a JMicron chip to handle PATA):
- recreated a boot image without ide modules and used it as a boot image
- added pata_jmicron libata sr-mod to the MODULES list in rc.conf
Now your IDE optical devices will be seen as SCSI ones (/dev/srx, where x is from 0 to n-1 drives)

Board footer