You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-09 03:37:22

use apm over acpi in stock 2.6.3

Is it possible to use apm instead of acpi in a stock 2.6.3 kernel?  I've just come to Arch, and everything's configured except for power management.  Sometimes the X server will crash, and nothing will respond except for hitting the power on my laptop; and, if I try to suspend or sleep, it won't wake up.

I've used apm on Slack, Mandrake, and Knoppix, but never had luck with acpi.
I tried modprobe apm, but it wasn't found.

Thanks for any help!

-Chris

#2 2004-03-09 04:24:47

sarah31
Website

Re: use apm over acpi in stock 2.6.3

i believe it is possible to use apm but i don't know if you will have to recompile your kernel to set it up properly. i would suggest taking a look at the config file (or is it kconfig) in /boot or in /var/abs/kernels/kernel26. or you can also view the config file via the web interface to the cvs.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-03-09 04:45:31

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's something like 'acpi=off apm=on'.  But don't quote me on that.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-03-09 05:58:15

scottro
Website

Funny how things come up all at once. On the nylug list this was just discused tonight.

When I first used the 2.6 kernel I compiled apm as I had in 2.4 and found that it wasn't working.  For the heck of it I tried acpi and it worked--I didn't have to add any options to the boot line. 

As these are towers, not laptops, I just chose the item ac adapter in the acpi choices and it powered down without problem.

Now, there is no guarantee that I didn't make a mistake with the options I chose with APM--I ~think~ I added a line in my grub/menu.lst as well, but this was awhile ago so I don't remember.

I do believe that you will have to recompile your kernel.

#5 2004-03-09 18:38:28

yak8998

i'm pretty sure its 'acpi=on/acpi=off' but the apm command is different. (NOT 'apm=on') whenever i get back home ill look it up and see what it is...

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#6 2004-08-28 22:18:19

pjmattal
Forum Fellow

All,

I wondered if anyone had any experiences more recently with ACPI on their laptops. I have an IBM Thinkpad X22, and the only thing really stopping me from using Arch all the time is suspend. I really value being able to shut and open my laptop and never turn it off; makes it really a breeze to use.

Anyhow, S3 would make me a very happy camper, and any information that anyone could share about recent experiences with it would be appreciated.

Best,
Paul

P.S. Jason, which laptop do you have, on which S3 doesn't work and S4 requires a battery-level reset? This sounds like some of the earlier experiences I had with mine..

#7 2004-08-28 22:47:09

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's a Sony Vaio r505el.  It seems that S3 requires a battery-level reset and I actually got S4 to work (S4 is suspend to disk, right?).  I use it every so often.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer