You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-18 21:05:19

F

lilo: kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage

After a pacman -Syu, I am unable to boot.

Unfortunately I use lilo. I *think* lilo was upgraded, and for some reason 'lilo' wasn't run after an upgrade. If its not doing this automatically it may be something to check up on to avoid many future headaches.

Anyways, I just assume that is what happened because I really have no idea how this came about.

At lilo (v22.7.3) I select Arch (I dual boot with WinXP which loads perfectly fine) and I get the following error:

boot:
Loading archEBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage

I have tried using knoppix to go in and chroot and run 'lilo' but I get the error:

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/sda")

I also tried chrooting and removing lilo, installing grub. But that didn't work out too well either (mainly due to my ignorance of grub).

ANY solution would be awesome. All I want to do is boot up. I never really shut this machine off, so as long as i'm booted up I really don't care how its done.

random info: my root partition is on /dev/sda3, and my /usr partition is on /dev/sda4.

I am very unknowledgable about bootloaders in general, both lilo and grub, but i have more experience with lilo. Any pointers would be helpful. Please help! Thanks in advance.

#2 2007-07-23 05:34:25

NoHz

Re: lilo: kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage

thanks sascha!

I solve my problem doing the MAKEDEV sda and runing lilo -v as a chroot

cheers

#3 2007-07-23 18:47:20

rdt

The "real" way to do it is to
'mount --bind /dev <path-to-the-mounted-root-fs>/dev'
then
'lilo -r <path-to-the-mounted-root-fs>'
all without the single quotes, of course.  You may also need to mount proc that way, too.

#4 2007-12-12 04:15:22

pecan

I'm experiencing the same problem, but I'm new and I'm not entirely sure how to carry out those instructions. Can anyone help?
Thanks

EDIT: solved, reinstalled and after updating lilo I had to run it before rebooting.

Last edited by pecan (2007-12-12 11:51:19)

Board footer