You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-19 12:01:28

Cretain

Kernel confusion

When surfing these Forums and the latest packets listing from time to time I come across numerous different kernels. Like Kernel-mm, ck, beyond, -scsi and stuff like that.

Now I can imageine what scsi is for wink, but im confused about the other ones. I have never gone into building my own kernel or using an other one as the standard, but maybe there is a Kernel that might suit me better or it could be good to build my own.

So...

where can I read about those different kernels, what they are, what they do and stuff.

and...

where do I find Informations about building my own kernel, if possible easy ones that I can follow? I did once read a tutorial online and tried it myself, but I failed badly and i couldnt find out what could be better with an own Kernel.

Thanks...

Cretain

#2 2007-03-19 12:32:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Kernel confusion

In brief:

-scsi is gone, for the ck and beyond packages follow the URL links for the relevant page on archlinux.org/packages, for suspend2 go to www.suspend2.net, and for mm go to www.kernel.org/patchtypes/mm.html.

The Arch kernel packages are designed to give optimum results on a very wide range of hardware, and most users do not feel it necessary to build their own. Try any or all of the alternative kernels, and if you still want to build your own, details are in the wiki.

#3 2007-03-19 21:02:54

Cretain

Re: Kernel confusion

Thanks a lot, I will check that.

Board footer