You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-20 18:23:05

Master One

Gnome vs. KDE for Corporate Use?

Let's say, you have to decide, which DE you are going to install for corporate use on about 10 PCs and some laptops, would you go for KDE or Gnome?

Both claim to be ready for that purpose, and offer about the same functionality. The opinions differ on key-applications, like

- email-client/PIM-suit (Kontact vs. Evolution)
- Office apps (KOffice vs. Gnumeric/Abiword vs. OpenOffice -> usability of MS Office documents is not really a criteria, because documents are handled in PDF-format mostly)
- Graphical apps (Krita/Karbon vs. Gimp/Inkscape)
- Webbrowser (Konqueror vs. Epiphany)
- Filemanager (Konqueror vs. Nautilus)

One importance may be mentioned: The ease of digitally signing PDF-documents (didn't investigate the differences/abilities between KGpg and Seahorse).

Because it's about more than just a handful of machines, another aspect may be the ease of upgradeability (I remember times, when an upgrade of KDE could be painful with incompatibility of settings stored in the .kde folder in the users homedir). Other WM's or Xfce are out of question, because it pretty much should be useable out of the box without special customizations.

Any opinions?

#2 2007-03-20 18:54:12

geekhead

Re: Gnome vs. KDE for Corporate Use?

Hm like you already claimed - they are very similiar.

Email-client: I prefer Evolution coz it´s possibility to integrate in an Exchange server, the great calendary functions, etc...

Office: I would take OpenOffice coz it´s nearly complete solution for every kind of need.

Graphical Apps: Absolutly Inkscape and Gimp.

Webbrowser: Epiphany is nice, Konqueror too - take Firefox smile

I prefer Gnome coz cosmetic aspects and I got everything what I want without big configuration and I also love the seemless integration of the gtk2 apps.

If you want to give the users a "windows" feeling, then KDE else I would take Gnome.

#3 2007-03-20 22:18:56

Master One

It's a tough decision. Integration of an Exchange server is not an issue in that case, as well as it is not required to give the users a "M$" feeling. OpenOffice may be the best choice for office use, although KOffice is making huge steps forward. I am a little concerned about application integration, which seems to be a lot better in KDE (KParts), than in Gnome (I just don't want to hear from users then, that the new Linux based solution is worse than it was before with WinXP).

#4 2007-03-20 22:31:39

upsidaisium
Website

in the end, i think i'd side with kde.  i really like konqueror, and i'm sure kwrite and kontact would get the job done more than well enough.

one thing that i can't really comment on is krita/karbon vs. gimp/inkscape, as i haven't used them the kde apps.. how often will people need to use those sorts of applications?  is it just for one-off sorts of things, or is graphics editing really integral?  'cause i'm inclined to think (assume) that gimp and inkscape would be the better apps (somebody please correct me if i'm way off base smile)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#5 2007-03-20 22:42:16

bigbob73

I see it as hard not to have some of both.  I mainly use gtk apps, but i like koffice and digikam.  But truthfully, these arent used at a lot of jobs. I'd go with gnome/openoffice

#6 2007-03-20 23:17:09

Damnshock

Looking for integration between apps, kde is tons of times better than gnome. Anyway, you can always use apps of "another" DE in your existing one. I would go to KDE using gimp/inkscape to manipulating images. Konqueror is THE power app, and kword will do a great job (you can also use openoffice instead). About kontact...i prefer it over evolution because of it's lots of configuration options (as all of the kde apps) but i have to tell you that evolution is better working with html mails and templates (which I assume you'll use at your company) (though kmail already has templates, they're...well simply not enough).

Damnshock

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#7 2007-03-22 17:05:47

Stalwart
Website

I'm KDE addict, but i'd choose GNOME

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#8 2007-03-22 18:22:41

Master One

Stalwart wrote:

How comes?

I was playing with the Gnome 2.18 Foresight Linux VMware image the last few days, and I have to say, it's really nice working with it. I always was in the opinion, that you need to be able to config everything to the tiniest thing, but as long as it does, what it's intended to do, configureability is not the issue (can also have a downside, if users mess something up, which they can't undo themselves).

It's not intended to mix KDE & Gnome apps on these machines, if it can be prevented, because users should not get distracted or confused by different user interfaces. I have not looked through all the needed apps yet, but I think one should be able to stick with Gnome apps to satisfy all needs.

Any more suggestions are welcome of course.

#9 2007-03-22 20:29:17

Captain Spaulding
Website

Stalwart wrote:

Yes, me too. I've deployed both in small to medium sized offices (mx. 30 seats) and I feel certain to say that Gnome and KDE are both very good, but their strengths are in different areas. KDE's foundation is very compartmentalized, reusing a lot of running software. If you expect lots of network activity and intend to lock down the desktops or do a lot of remote desktop administration KDE is very much superior. Sabayon and Pessulus are not on par yet. Unfortunatly, KDE apps are rather crash happy and often suffering from bad interfaces, but they offer a lot of options.
Gnome on the other hand is not very seamless but Gnome applications interact smoothly. The most striking difference between KDE and Gnome is the decentralization it shows everywhere. Functionality is often embedded directly into a program instead of being bundled somewehere else, e.g. optical media burning is done directly in the file manager, media app, etc. Unfortunatly Gnome is somewhat of a memory hog but the apps are less crash prone. Oh, important tidbit: In the office space, OOorg is the single best choice, but the Gnome/GTK integration is buggy -- the SHIFT+CTRL shortcuts are often not working properly.

Now I will go through the list one by one:

Evolution  vs. Kontact -- if you need a PIM go for the one that better harmonizes with your backend, Evolution with Evolution-Server, Hula or Exchange, Kontact with KOLAB. If you only need an E-Mail-Client and a calendar go with Thunderbird and Sunbird.

Abiword/Gnumeric vs. KOffice vs. OOorg -- KWord is a good word processor, Abiword not so much. Gnumeric is the best spreadsheet you can get, but OpenOffice is good all around. Unfortunatly it is slow.

Graphical apps -- in my humble opinion GIMP and Inkscape define graphical work under GNU/Linux at the moment. Krita and Karbon are both great apps but they still have a long way to go. Their interfaces are easier to grok for a newbie, though. Or so I've been told.

Epiphany vs. Konqueror -- no contest, Epiphany. Epiphany is the best browser you can get at the moment, on any platform, designed for one thing only and it does that to perfection. Konqueror is a nice browser, too, but if you are like me, you will loose the file manager in the process of tuning Konq for browsing.

Nautilus vs. Konqueror -- Nautilus is the better local file manager, plain, simple, obvious in use. But Konqueror is much more powerful and versatile but burdened with a cumbersome interface. If you have a lot of network file movements there is nothing better than Konq, though.

HTH

#10 2007-03-22 22:21:29

Stalwart
Website

For me Corporate == Dumb. GNOME has less buttons and is easier to understand

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#11 2007-03-22 23:27:08

Damnshock

"Epiphany vs. Konqueror -- no contest, Epiphany. Epiphany is the best browser you can get at the moment, on any platform, designed for one thing only and it does that to perfection. Konqueror is a nice browser, too, but if you are like me, you will loose the file manager in the process of tuning Konq for browsing. "

Do you know about *profiles*? smile

#12 2007-03-23 17:32:29

iBertus

GNOME++

I've always considered GNOME more "idiot-proof" than KDE. It also seems less bogged down with eyecandy and extras. Add that fact that GNOME has Evolution (IMHO, the best linux mail app) and you've got a pretty good corporate solution (ie. boring but functional).

Last edited by iBertus (2007-03-23 17:33:49)

#13 2007-03-26 08:33:53

Captain Spaulding
Website

Damnshock wrote:

"Epiphany vs. Konqueror -- no contest, Epiphany. Epiphany is the best browser you can get at the moment, on any platform, designed for one thing only and it does that to perfection. Konqueror is a nice browser, too, but if you are like me, you will loose the file manager in the process of tuning Konq for browsing. "

Do you know about *profiles*? smile

Oh my, that's original! And since you seem to know a great deal about Konqueror, I would like to ask you to explain how profiles allow me to separate bookmarks, history and get rid of the bunch of file system places in my "Go to" menu...

OK, OK, trick question. Sorry. By now you probably guessed it, you can't do what I ask. Even some KDE devels said that a huge reason for Dolphin (a new file manager scheduled for KDE4) was that the profiles system of Konqueror is FUBAR and not doing what it was supposed to do. And on a final note, even if profiles would work Konqueror still can't hold a candle to Epiphany as a web browser. Your requirements may differ, granted, but if you want a no frills, stable web browser with a nice selection of plug-ins and superior bookmarking features I would suggest Epiphany.

PS: There is a quote button for a reason.

PPS: this is the internet and people get all snarky and wise-cracking for no reason, I know, I'm sorry.

PPPS: Oh, and sorry for thread crapping.

Last edited by Captain Spaulding (2007-03-26 08:35:19)

#14 2007-03-27 07:19:14

Damnshock

Man, you've lost the point. Further more, this is the first time i see this behavior in the arch community sad

I know for sure the profiles system is not the best thing in konqueror but it's useful. Maybe not to the point you'd desire but that's not a reason why to blame it in that way. You can configure the toolbars, turn on/off the status bar... and many other things.

However... who gives you the "right" to declare epiphany as superior webbrowser in such a categorical way? Maybe you like it more because of the bookmarks management, maybe I prefer it because of it's search engine system or it's render engine (which i prefer over gecko). If you are going to get in a discussion in this way, you better calm down and *contribute* with something useful and not just a statement like  "Epiphany is the best browser you can get at the moment, on any platform, designed for one thing only and it does that to perfection". The other people's opinion may differ from yours.

Damnshock

#15 2009-03-30 16:21:54

snorkel

I would use KDE 4.2.1 basicly because it's what I use and really like it :-)

#16 2009-03-30 16:32:36

skottish
Forum Fellow

snorkel wrote:

I would use KDE 4.2.1 basicly because it's what I use and really like it :-)

I don't mean to be rude, but this is a two year old thread. So, you get the last opinion.

Board footer