You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-26 21:48:02

test1000

tell_me_when_websites_are_updated

Update! v. 0.4

Changelog:
* Added wget options --tries 1 --timeout=15 to stop "infinite connect to websites errors"
* Now you only need to specify the url of a website, not a name aswell smile
* Changed dir from .webs to .tell_me_when_websites_are_updated

Todo:
* Solve the dynamic webpage problem if possible... must research... Add notification applet, but only if requested.

Grab the new version here: http://pastebin.archlinux.org/2325

Description:

Good if you want websites to tell _you_ when they are updated so you don't have to check for yourself. Just make sure you point it to a page which doesn't change every second/minute/hour(because of date script/ad banner script etc)

Made for and by a package maintainer.

To use the program make it executable, put it in your ~/bin, run it and follow the screen directions.

will fit good in programs like crontab or conky.

By default it outputs the diff output and in color. Use the --no-diff and --no-color to change this.

Last edited by test1000 (2007-04-07 11:52:24)

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#2 2007-04-01 18:07:42

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Re: tell_me_when_websites_are_updated

I like it smile

#3 2007-04-01 20:05:22

majikstreet

nice.... okay, this is a bit of a plug, but there is another program that does a similar thing... except it can check email and more... it's called Specto: http://specto.sf.net ... I believe that WillySilly packages it for arch

disclaimer: I used to be a specto developer... I don't really do anything now..

arooaroo wrote:
syd wrote:

Here in NZ we cant spell words with more than 5 letters. So color will have to do.

You must be very special then because "letters" has 7 tongue

#4 2007-04-02 18:49:07

test1000

hmm didn't know that.. smile
but:
1. I couldn't get the version from aur to run.
2. Does it support output to commandline? (maybe i'll add a notification applet option to my prog to have that functionality too smile)
3. It requires a bunch of python deps and is alot larger(but does support some additional use-cases it's true, i don't know if i should put rss capability into my program though.. will investigate) mine only requires standard tools(except perhaps for wget)

but for the name... anyone have a better one? tongue

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

Board footer