You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-27 14:41:51

Weeks

arch on a usb key

There seems to be quite a few around - and all are quite hard to search for because mediawiki requires more than 3 characters when searching. But I've updated this one after getting it to work beautifully on my 4gb usb key.

I've also included notes on using udev to create persistent symlinks to your usbkey for circumventing the /etc/fstab problem when booting to machines with different hard-disk orders, which I guess some may find useful.

#2 2007-03-27 16:36:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: arch on a usb key

Larch live CD also provides a flash boot install of arch and is easily downloaded and prepped for either CD boot and/ or flash drive.  It also has copy-to-ram for systems with 2GB of ram or more.

Much difficulty is encountered in determining whether a given motherboard has USB 2.0 flash boot capability.  It seems it is third party supplied and sometimes requires an upgrade bios.

Neat do it yourself with your data.  Thanks.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2007-03-27 16:43:16

Weeks

Yeah I looked at larch but I decided I'd go with the method that had the least about of reading required wink I intended to try larch if this method turned out to be non-satisfactory, but it's really great.

The only problem is, as you stated, I have to set the bios to boot to usb and change the hdd order, but that's hardly a chore.

#4 2007-03-30 12:53:08

drynish

I started the Install on USB on the wiki and decided to go with larch even if it's a bit more difficult (to be honest, it's not). It's just different, the whole system is loaded in RAM and run from there. Your usb key is updated only at the end (at the closure of the system, hope that you didn't took all the place wink ). But the greatest advantage is the lifetime of your usb key.

A normal usb key support write operations a million times I think so in the end, Larch will last longuer.

#5 2007-05-19 08:52:46

jinn

I know that flash have superb access time, but Is there any performance difference when having arch installed on the usb key? I thought of doing this, and buying the corsair voyager GT 4gb usb key. supposed to have the fastest read/write speeds.

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

Board footer