You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-27 23:20:17

saciel

flashing screen on x-display... 'nvidia' drivers for GeForce7800GT

I'm trying to get Arch running on a friends computer...

We installed nvidia drivers and nvidia-utils for a GeForce7800GT and edited the xorg.conf for a new system according to the article in the arch wiki. Horizontal and Vertical Sync are conifgured accoring to the monitor's manual.

On 'startx', the xserver and the window manager starts but the screen starts to sort of flashing (i.e. turnin black and on again) in irregular periods after some seconds.

What goes wrong and how can we possibly fix the problem? I always thought flashing would occur on wrong sync-settings... but they are as in the manual!

We tried to install older drivers, too, but after replacing nvidia and nvidia-utils with nvidia-96xx and it's utils we always got a fatal server error because version of the 'kernel module' and 'x module' did not match, so we switched back to nvidia.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2007-03-28 21:14:46

Stalwart
Website

Re: flashing screen on x-display... 'nvidia' drivers for GeForce7800GT

Check logs at /var/log/Xorg.0.log

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#3 2007-03-29 14:19:31

saciel

Re: flashing screen on x-display... 'nvidia' drivers for GeForce7800GT

It seems to not work with the 'nvidia' drivers very well (although his card is mentioned in /usr/share/docs/supported_cards.txt)... switching to 'nv' as a graphic card driver resolved the problem for now. I'm curious if it will work when we are trying to use acceleration features for openGl.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

Board footer