You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-01 14:19:00

aardwolf

Dual Core

Hello,

I'm soon going to get an intel core 2 duo E6600 processor. They say that in Windows this increases the responsiveness of the system, because a process running on the one core doesn't interfere with the other core.

However I'm not running Windows but Archlinux, and plan to install Archlinux on that new computer too. Will the standard kernel that comes with Archlinux offer the same advantages when using a dual core processor? Or do I need to do something special like getting an alternative kernel, to have dual core support?

Thanks.

#2 2007-04-01 14:48:03

fk

Re: Dual Core

aardwolf wrote:

Hello,

I'm soon going to get an intel core 2 duo E6600 processor. They say that in Windows this increases the responsiveness of the system, because a process running on the one core doesn't interfere with the other core.

However I'm not running Windows but Archlinux, and plan to install Archlinux on that new computer too. Will the standard kernel that comes with Archlinux offer the same advantages when using a dual core processor? Or do I need to do something special like getting an alternative kernel, to have dual core support?

Thanks.

The stock Arch Kernel supports multicore

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

Board footer