You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-01 21:58:15

ralvy

New 0.8 install and grub

Been using Arch for years. Just downloaded and tried the latest Base iso in a new partition to see how it's going. I noticed that when asking me where to install grub, it did not offer me the possibility to install it to root. Only MBR was offerred.

#2 2007-04-01 23:00:57

joepotter

Re: New 0.8 install and grub

ralvy wrote:

Been using Arch for years. Just downloaded and tried the latest Base iso in a new partition to see how it's going. I noticed that when asking me where to install grub, it did not offer me the possibility to install it to root. Only MBR was offerred.

I hope you are wrong. I run three distros on this box and need to have the option to install grub to root. Perhaps one could do it from a terminal and tell the installer to just not install Grub at all?

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards, Joe

#3 2007-04-01 23:07:20

ralvy

Well, perhaps the option would have been there if I hit Cancel on that screen. In any event, I probably could have used a separate terminal to grub-install. In the end, I rebooted, used grub-install to install it to my root directory, then reboot again and restored my prior MBR.

#4 2007-04-02 00:07:28

pelle.k

I've been installing to root partition right off the 0.8 beta/rc cd:s, and that was easy as pie.
Are you telling me, you can't manually input /dev/sdaX any more? that would suck...
Even if it's easy to do after the installation, removing options in the installer isn't really a step forward in my book anyway.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#5 2007-04-02 00:47:30

ralvy

pelle.k wrote:

I've been installing to root partition right off the 0.8 beta/rc cd:s, and that was easy as pie.
Are you telling me, you can't manually input /dev/sdaX any more? that would suck...
Even if it's easy to do after the installation, removing options in the installer isn't really a step forward in my book anyway.

I don't remember a manual option. However, I used the install that was not for experts. Perhaps that was the problem. Maybe the Expert install offered this option.

#6 2007-04-02 16:45:25

pelle.k

I always run /arch/setup. not the quickinstall script. Dont know about any "expert" install option though...

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#7 2007-04-02 18:00:31

ralvy

pelle.k wrote:

I always run /arch/setup. not the quickinstall script. Dont know about any "expert" install option though...

I used /arch/setup. The quickinstall was called the Expert install.

Board footer