You are not logged in.
If I have a package I build and upload to my own repository and I build the package with pkgrel=1 and upload it to my repository. Then I make a small change and rebuild the package but forget to increment pkgrel to =2 in my PKGBUILD file.
Now I have three options:
1. Upload it with the same name and -1 pkgrel
2. Change the new package name changing the -1 to -2 and upload
3. Rebuild the package with pkgrel=2 and upload the resulting package
Option 1 and 2 are both very easy, but I don't know if they would cause any issues. Option 3 is safe but would take longer to do the full rebuild.
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Last edited by rossboulet (2026-09-24 14:48:51)
I really hate this damn machine,
I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want,
But only what I tell it. -Anonymous
Offline
1. Is wrong as any systems with the 'old' -1 will not see the new package as an update.
2. Won't help as the pkgrel is baked into the package metadata (.PKGINFO in the root of the package).
3. Is the correct option.
Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD
Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.
Offline
1. Is wrong as any systems with the 'old' -1 will not see the new package as an update.
2. Won't help as the pkgrel is baked into the package metadata (.PKGINFO in the root of the package).
3. Is the correct option.
Thanks, but back to option 1, if no systems have yet been updated with the new package, sounds like it could work.
I really hate this damn machine,
I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want,
But only what I tell it. -Anonymous
Offline
Sure, if this is a repo where you know for sure that no clients have installed the old -1, you avoid the issue, but it's still bad practice.
Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD
Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.
Offline
Thanks
I really hate this damn machine,
I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want,
But only what I tell it. -Anonymous
Offline