You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 06:57:12

bivan
Member
Registered: 2026-02-03
Posts: 88

Who starts akonadi_control ?

Starting Arch Linux KDE, System Monitor: /usr/bin/akonadi_control is started, I don't want so according to https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x8 … adi/files/ I deleted /usr/lib/systemd/user/akonadi_control.service (since

systemctl --user disable akonadi_control

doesn't work) then restarted the OS: akonadi_control again started! So I also deleted /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control.service & /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.freedesktop.Akonadi.ControlManager.xml : again!
So who starts it?

Last edited by bivan (Yesterday 07:03:06)

Offline

#2 Yesterday 07:17:45

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,223

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

so according to

random irrelevant data

Akonadi is invoked by its consumers:
https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Disabl … _subsystem

Offline

#3 Yesterday 07:43:30

bivan
Member
Registered: 2026-02-03
Posts: 88

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

I already saw this link, I start Arch Linux KDE without touching anything apart System Monitor & Digital Clock events disabled.

Or is there a tracker or something, tracking who starts who?

Offline

#4 Yesterday 07:47:29

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 7,193

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

Deleting random files from system directories is a good way to break your system. pacman tracks files it installs. It matters that what is there matches what it expects to be there.
The link you referenced does not in any way suggest deleting those files as a solution.

What problem is it causing exactly? Is it even active? I'm running KDE:

$ systemctl --user status akonadi_control.service
○ akonadi_control.service - Akonadi Control
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/akonadi_control.service; static)
     Active: inactive (dead)
$ ps ax | grep -i akonadi
 252525 pts/14   S+     0:00 /usr/bin/grep --colour=auto -i akonadi

It is not required to use KDE. I only have it installed because I installed digikam. But it isn't actually doing anything as far as I can tell. Even so, I am quite tempted to ditch digikam for the sake of getting rid of it.


CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Offline

#5 Yesterday 07:48:54

dimich
Member
From: Kharkiv, Ukraine
Registered: 2009-11-03
Posts: 817

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

bivan wrote:

is there a tracker or something, tracking who starts who?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Audit_framework
https://man.archlinux.org/man/extra/bpf … op.bt.8.en

Offline

#6 Yesterday 08:07:26

bivan
Member
Registered: 2026-02-03
Posts: 88

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

I backuped & restored the files.

My link is to know these files.

My issue: starting Arch Linux KDE I've useless akonadi* executables in RAM (akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_indexing_agent...), according to System Monitor the parent is akonadi_control, indeed I disabled its Execute permission: no akonadi* executables in RAM! But I wanna know now who starts it, disabling Execute permission is not a sexy way...
Obviously I can uninstall akonadi, kde-pim-meta but I don't wanna uninstall, just disabling.
It was a time https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/k … t/j86rp81/ worked but not anymore...

dimich I'm noob here, what command please?

Offline

#7 Yesterday 11:32:53

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,223

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

Did you consider reading the wiki?
Though I suspect it's gonna be dbus activated, so you'll not see that - in that case you could run https://man.archlinux.org/man/dbus-monitor.1

Obviously I can uninstall akonadi, kde-pim-meta but I don't wanna uninstall, just disabling.

You also wanna explain why because on the surface that reads silly.
You don't want to run it but you want to install it… to take up space on your disk??

Offline

#8 Yesterday 13:06:46

bivan
Member
Registered: 2026-02-03
Posts: 88

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

Obviously I read the wiki.

Thanks to Gemini & bpftrace I discovered it's systemd who starts akonadi_control at boot, but as I said in my 1st post I deleted /usr/lib/systemd/user/akonadi_control.service without success, strange...

Enable/disable is more convenient than install/uninstall, & it's KDE fault, akonadi* executables in RAM although no PIM app (kmail zenshin etc) used...

Last edited by bivan (Yesterday 13:10:00)

Offline

#9 Yesterday 13:16:49

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,223

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

nable/disable is more convenient than install/uninstall

Apparently not?

akonadi* executables in RAM although no PIM app (kmail zenshin etc) used

pacman -Qi akonadi

as I said in my 1st post I deleted

That is not how that works at all…
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd#Using_units

seth wrote:

Though I suspect it's gonna be dbus activated

usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control.service

it's KDE fault

I frankly blame your parents…

Offline

#10 Yesterday 13:38:51

bivan
Member
Registered: 2026-02-03
Posts: 88

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

pacman -Qi akonadi for?

I tried systemctl etc, see my 1st post.

I also deleted this file without success, see my 1st post.

Indeed I was an abused child, but what link?

Finally ok I uninstalled kde-pim-meta, maybe in the future it will be better, no more akonadi* executables in RAM at boot, if I'll see an akonadi-related update I'll try.

Offline

#11 Yesterday 14:19:13

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,223

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

You're supposed to either read or post the output of pacman -Qi to figure why you actually have that itfp so we can check whether you're maybe running some akonadi client still

You're still not supposed to delete jack shit - stop that.
Actually read the linked wikis, they explain how to mask systemd and dbus services

And I wasn't talking about abuse.…

Offline

#12 Yesterday 18:33:23

bivan
Member
Registered: 2026-02-03
Posts: 88

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

[a@c92c1034-5e78-4e25-ad0b-182e7c0e1522 ~]$ pacman -Qi akonadi
Name            : akonadi
Version         : 26.08.2-2
Description     : PIM layer, which provides an asynchronous API to access all kind of PIM data
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://kontact.kde.org
Licenses        : LGPL-2.0-or-later
Groups          : None
Provides        : libakonadi
Depends On      : glibc  kcolorscheme  kconfig  kconfigwidgets  kcoreaddons  kcrash  ki18n  kiconthemes  kitemmodels  kwidgetsaddons  kxmlgui  libgcc  libstdc++  libxml2  qt6-base  xz
Optional Deps   : kirigami-addons: QML bindings [installed]
                  mariadb: MariaDB backend
                  postgresql: PostgreSQL backend
                  pyside6: Python bindings [installed]
Required By     : akonadi-contacts  kgpg
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : libakonadi
Replaces        : libakonadi
Installed Size  : 16.21 MiB
Packager        : Antonio Rojas <arojas@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Thu Oct 8 16:10:03 2026
Install Date    : Sat Oct 10 10:02:28 2026
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

Deleting is radicaler than systemctl mask ... no?

Offline

#13 Yesterday 19:22:25

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,223

Re: Who starts akonadi_control ?

Required By     : akonadi-contacts  kgpg

Do you use kgpg?

Deleting is radicaler than systemctl mask ... no?

Try to look at it from the other side: why would you even install stuff you don't want/need?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB