You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-07 04:47:42

JaDa
Website

USB Stick! [solved]

I have a USB Stick, everytime when I plug in the stick on any computer it's fire up (Plug & Play)

What I have to do, that I can use my USB Stick under Arch Linux!

Last edited by JaDa (2007-06-04 06:49:13)

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#2 2007-04-07 05:27:40

rayjgu3

Re: USB Stick! [solved]

plug it in
mount it

#3 2007-04-07 06:26:00

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Depnds on your desktop setup .... I use pmount to get stuff mounted to /media

Take a look in Wiki ;-)

HTH

Mr Green

#4 2007-04-07 11:18:43

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I would recommend staying away from the autmounters unless its really necessary.

Add this to your fstab:

/dev/sda1               /mnt/flash      auto            noauto,rw,users,umask=0000 0 0

assuming /dev/sda1 is your populated device node when you plug it in (do ls /dev before and after pluggin in). Now every time you plug it in you can do

mount /mnt/flash

#5 2007-04-07 13:50:13

G_Syme

T-Dawg wrote:

I would recommend staying away from the autmounters unless its really necessary.

Add this to your fstab:

/dev/sda1               /mnt/flash      auto            noauto,rw,users,umask=0000 0 0

assuming /dev/sda1 is your populated device node when you plug it in (do ls /dev before and after pluggin in). Now every time you plug it in you can do

mount /mnt/flash

If you're going to do it the /etc/fstab way I would also like to recommend taking a look at persistent block device naming in the wiki. With this you can properly identify your usb stick even if you plug in other devices like e.g. usb floppy, because /dev/sd* will change if you connect your devices in a different sequence.

For a usb stick I would recommend either uuid, id or label as identifiers.
The only thing you have to change in /etc/fstab (based on T-Dawg's setup) is /dev/sda1 to
- /dev/disk/by-uuid/<the one which points at /dev/sda1>,
- /dev/disk/by-id/<the first partition of your usb stick> or
- /dev/disk/by-label/<the label of the partition on your usb stick>.

The only problem which might occur with uuid is that with such a setup you'll only be able to mount the same usb stick and not another one, because uuid is an identifier for the filesystem on your stick which is unique and will differ from other usb sticks AFAIK. The label approach only works if you have either given the existing partition a name (which seems to be only possible from within Window$) or reformat the usb stick(s) with the (same) label. But then you won't be able to mount more than one of these usb sticks at the same time. As for the id way I don't know if all usb sticks have the same name. For example my usb stick (or better the first and only partition on it) is located at /dev/disk/by-id/-UM_2.0_Flash_Disk-0:0-part1.

Hope it wasn't more confusing than helpful!

The courageous enter dark caves alone.
The clever send in the courageous first.
The cleverest wait behind the clever.

#6 2007-04-07 18:02:56

shen
Website

I personally just use autofs.. reason I do is it is much much easier and it mounts without the need for any commands. There is a wiki on autofs.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AutoFS_HowTo

#7 2007-04-07 18:13:09

lilsirecho
Veteran

My USB flash device mounts via .../media/disk...automatically when inserted into USB terminal.  I believe it will at times change its ID (sdxx) depending upon the use made of the USB interface.

The system provides a window at the time the USB is recognized which allows options for its use.  If it is opened at this time, the sdxx ID will be in the display URL.

The ID is also available in qtparted.

Media directory contains all media disk data and generates a new folder for each added USB device, i.e....disk1 disk2.....

Hope this info helps!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#8 2007-06-04 06:48:39

JaDa
Website

I am stuck with the aufofs settings in Arch Linux.
I was follow this HowTo
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AutoFS_HowTo

but no Idea now?

I messed it up, and have make a clean new installation from archlinux.

[root@arch-01 jada]# /etc/rc.d/autofs start
:: Starting automounter                                                  [BUSY]  /media                                                                  [DONE]
[root@arch-01 jada]#
[jada@arch-01 ~]$ /etc/rc.d/autofs start
:: Starting automounter                                                  [BUSY]  /media/usr/sbin/automount: This program must be run by root.
                                                                         [FAIL]
[jada@arch-01 ~]$

After few restarts the USB Stick works now!

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

Board footer