You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-07 14:54:14

Flasher

Fluxbox application-start-problem!

Hello!

I'm using fluxbox on my PC. I added some applications to the fluxbox menu (e.g. amule, azureus, thunar) When I click on the amule-menu-entry the application starts. But when I click on azureus and thunar, there are no reaction.
I must open a console (eterm) and type "thunar" or "azureus" to start the applications. It looks like fluxbox don't know the path to thunar and azureus because the binary isn't in /usr/bin.

But I can start thunar and azurues at console without any errors.

My menu file:

[begin] (Fluxbox-1.0rc3)
      [exec] (Eterm) {Eterm}
      [exec] (GVim) {gvim}
      [exec] (Thunar) {thunar}
[submenu] (FileSharing)
      [exec]   (aMule) {amule}
      [exec]   (Azureus) {azureus}
[end]

Any ideas?

Thanks for help!

Greetings,

Flasher

#2 2007-04-07 16:02:59

G_Syme

Re: Fluxbox application-start-problem!

Hi, Flasher!

The menu file doesn't seem to contain any syntax errors. (except if you forgot the close tag of your new FileSharing submenu which I cannot determine from here wink )

Flasher wrote:

It looks like fluxbox don't know the path to thunar and azureus because the binary isn't in /usr/bin.

Where are the binaries located? Could you post the output of which thunar and which azureus?
Also check if they're in the path variable (echo $PATH).
If they're in another path directory it might be possible that this dir is not yet in your path variable. Did you have to make a source /etc/profile? If that's the case then the source command does only affect the terminal in which it has been used. In this case you would have to entirely log out (close fluxbox and log out), or to reboot.

The courageous enter dark caves alone.
The clever send in the courageous first.
The cleverest wait behind the clever.

#3 2007-04-08 00:20:28

Flasher

Hello!

Output of which thunar: <code> /opt/xfce4/bin/thunar </code>
Output of which azureus: <code> /usr/bin/azureus </code>
Output of echo $PATH: <code> /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/opt/bin:/opt/java/jre/bin:/opt/xfce4/bin </code>

After typing these commands I make a "source /etc/profile" with root and my user account.

The outputs of which and echo haven't changed and thunar and azureus don't start.

But when I close fluxbox and restart the X-Server thunar and azureus works perfectly over the menu.

And now the crazy thing: After a complete restart of the computer, the applications don't start again. Typing source /etc/profile isn't the solution. I must only restart the x-server (and fluxbox) and thunar/azureus works perfectly!

Background info: I start fluxbox and x-server with a rc.d script (during booting the hole system because I connect remotely with a VNC-Client on the machine) I logged the $PATH variable in the rc.d script and only the following paths are setted "/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"

---> the path variable changed after starting the daemons (including x-server and fluxbox) by rc.conf

Has anybody a solution for this problem?

Greetings,

Flasher

Last edited by Flasher (2007-04-08 00:21:50)

#4 2007-04-08 09:27:04

G_Syme

Flasher wrote:

Output of which thunar: <code> /opt/xfce4/bin/thunar </code>
Output of which azureus: <code> /usr/bin/azureus </code>
Output of echo $PATH: <code> /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/opt/bin:/opt/java/jre/bin:/opt/xfce4/bin </code>
[...]
I logged the $PATH variable in the rc.d script and only the following paths are setted "/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"

OK, at least I think I can now explain the above behavior:

At the time when your $PATH variable is /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin, thunar cannot be found because /opt/xfce4/bin isn't included yet and azureus because AFAIK it's a java application and needs java to run, which likely to be located in /opt/java/jre/bin (strange, mine is in /opt/java/bin, might be due to different versions...?).

Flasher wrote:

---> the path variable changed after starting the daemons (including x-server and fluxbox) by rc.conf

Have you listed these daemons as the last in the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf or are there maybe some important services at the end, which might change the $PATH variable? Or you could try to add the source /etc/profile command into your rc.d script and log the $PATH variable again to see if the other paths are now included.

#5 2007-04-08 11:01:08

Flasher

Hello!

I added "source /etc/profile" to my rc.d-script and now it works smile But I don't know if that is a clean solution. Here are my vncserver (xserver/fluxbox startscript): (xac is my user account)

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

case "$1" in
  start)
    stat_busy "Starting vncserver for xac"
    source /etc/profile
    su xac -c  "/usr/bin/vncserver :0 &> /dev/null"
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      add_daemon vncserver_xac
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  stop)
    stat_busy "Stopping vncserver for xac"
    su xac -c "/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :0 &> /dev/null"
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      rm_daemon vncserver_xac 
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
   restart)
    $0 stop
    sleep 1
    $0 start
    ;;
  *)
    echo "usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac
exit 0

Greetings,

Flasher

P.S.: Thanks for help smile

Last edited by Flasher (2007-04-08 11:03:50)

#6 2007-04-08 11:46:32

G_Syme

Flasher wrote:

I added "source /etc/profile" to my rc.d-script and now it works smile But I don't know if that is a clean solution.

Glad to hear that it works now smile. Unfortunately I don't know if this is a clean solution, either wink, because I have neither experience with VNC nor init scripts. But the source command shouldn't have any evil side effects, AFAIK.

Maybe somebody else has an idea ...

#7 2007-05-09 15:01:41

s26c.sayan
Website

You can symlink the executables to /usr/sbin which should make them available in $PATH.
E.G.:

ln -s /opt/xfce4/bin/thunar /usr/sbin

(Do this as ROOT)

OR, you can just edit the ~/.fluxbox/menu file as follows :

[begin] (Fluxbox-1.0rc3)
      [exec] (Eterm) {Eterm}
      [exec] (GVim) {gvim}
      [exec] (Thunar) {/opt/xfce4/bin/thunar}

As for Azeurus, I agree with  G_Syme :

azureus because AFAIK it's a java application and needs java to run, which likely to be located in /opt/java/jre/bin

...which is not yet included in your path!

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

Board footer