You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-09 11:56:40

Laertes

ACPI problems in a Compal CL56

Hi there,

I've just switched my Compal CL56 laptop from Slackware 11.0 to Arch 0.8 and I'm having again problems with ACPI. There are no files in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone and /proc/acpi/fan and the values in the /proc/acpi/battery files are wrong.

I know that this can be solved patching the kernel with the Omnibook and Satellite linux driver and recompilling, and that was what I did with Slack.

But I don't want to patch and recompile anymore everytime I install a new kernel so I followed the famous instructions of the Gentoo forums to check if my DSDT was buggy. I disassembled and recompiled the DSDT file but there were no errors:

iasl -tc dsdt.dsl 

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20061109 [Apr  9 2007]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2006 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

ASL Input:  dsdt.dsl - 5195 lines, 206611 bytes, 2166 keywords
AML Output: dsdt.aml - 18948 bytes 642 named objects 1524 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 680 Optimizations

So it seems that the DSDT was right. In any case I tried the recompiled DSDT in the initramfs:

ACPI: Looking for DSDT in initramfs... successfully read 18948 bytes from /DSDT.aml.
ACPI (tbget-0297): Table [DSDT] replaced by host OS [20060707]

But still no files in thermal_zone and fan and the same wrong values in battery.

Then I tried this:

acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows XP"

but I only got a kernel panic and the system didn't boot.

And I don't hink the problem is a missing ECDT because I don't get any error message related to it.

So I guess that my questions are:

1- Will the omnibook module be included in the Arch kernels in the near future? AFAIK this module is the only way to solve the problem
2- Has anyone managed to solve the problem changing somehow the DSDT?

Thanks, and sorry for the lengthy post ;-)

#2 2007-04-09 19:13:08

Captain Spaulding
Website

Re: ACPI problems in a Compal CL56

maybe you are shooting cannons at sparrows wink Did you check if the thermal and fan modules are loaded?

modprobe thermal 
modprobe fan

#3 2007-04-09 20:17:44

Laertes

No need to do that, these drivers are not compiled as modules in the kernel26 package. I even wouldn't have the /proc/acpi/thermal_zones and /proc/acpi/fan directories if these modules were not loaded.

#4 2010-04-05 14:33:45

davidgurvich

You don't need to recompile the kernel to use omnibook module.  Get the source and build the module.  Look in the omnibook source to see which ectype you need to use.  I'm using the module on a toshiba satellite with the only gain being information on cpu temperature.   Haven't gained anything else not provided by the regular acpi modules.  Fan control or policy does not seem to work or I haven't read the source code well enough to understand how to modify those.

Board footer