You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-12 23:39:44

anakin
Website

Slim shutdown/reboot icon

All through the years I've been using Linux as my primary desktop operating system GTK/GTK2 was the most I was willing to depend on in terms of libraries on top of X. A simple window manager like window maker or fluxbox and GTK/GTK2 based applications suit my personal taste perfectly thus avoiding to much bloat either from Gnome or KDE libraries.

Nevertheless I like usability in the right amount, so I often complement a bare window manager with stand alone task bar, icon support and sometimes even graphical file browser so that everyone feels comfortable when using my desktop environment. I like this modular approach rather than being stuck in a monolithic desktop manager.

Following that line of thought, I use Slim as my display manager and I have no problem at all with shutting down my computer by entering the special "halt" user and the root password. On the other hand when someone less acquainted with Linux and sharing my machine chooses the wrong option in grub or otherwise ends up facing the Slim prompt it would be nice to provide them with a nice simple shutdown/reboot icon.

I'd like to here from someone who knows of any unofficial patch to the source of Slim enabling this behavior or any other way through which they can place such an icon there. Changing the F11 bound command to a shutdown/reboot command isn't good enough.

www.geekslot.com - a place where peculiar people fit

#2 2007-04-13 10:04:37

byte

Re: Slim shutdown/reboot icon

One rather simple workaround would be to use a background image with written instructions about 'halt' and 'reboot'.

#3 2007-04-13 13:13:30

anakin
Website

Re: Slim shutdown/reboot icon

byte wrote:

One rather simple workaround would be to use a background image with written instructions about 'halt' and 'reboot'.

That's a good idea, I also thought about that. The icon would be perfect though.

If only there was a way for slim to launch a process (like idesk for instance) before spawning the window manager...

www.geekslot.com - a place where peculiar people fit

Board footer