You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-17 15:00:28

PeteMo
Website

tls_trust_file and msmtp

The recent upgrade of msmtp now requires a tls_trust_file to securely use tls/ssl connections.  According to the documentation in debian this file is in the package ca-certificates and is installed to /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt.  I have an /etc/ssl/certs directory but it is empty. 

Where can I obtain this tls_trust_file? 

Thanks.

edit: Additional helpful information can be found here: http://www.scottro.net/qnd/qnd-gmail.html

Last edited by PeteMo (2007-04-21 15:14:33)

#2 2007-04-22 12:31:34

scottro
Website

Re: tls_trust_file and msmtp

PeteMo, I don't know if you're following the discussion (well, mostly me) on the mailing list, but here's the final story (my page, which you so kindly recommend, has been updated with the information too.)

You need a cert.pem or similar file. I've put up the FreeBSD one which I tested on Arch and it works. 

If you trust mine, you can get it with

wget www.scottro.net/cert.pem

Then, stick it anywhere--say you have it in your $HOME directory which is called pete.

You don't need tls_keys or tls_cert in your .msmtprc.  All you need is the trust file

So, add the following to your .msmtprc

tls_trust_file /home/pete/cert.pem

It should then work.

Most of the MTAs also install one.  There's a something cert.pem installed with gnupg2 but that didn't work for me with msmtp.

#3 2007-04-22 12:53:40

scottro
Website

A quick addition--it turns out that the /usr/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt file also works.
Curl is required by gnupg (and gnupg2) so it might be a good choice to use to get a file.

#4 2007-04-22 17:09:27

PeteMo
Website

Thanks, I'm using the curl-ca-bundle.crt file with no problems.

Board footer