You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-19 12:59:59

ravisghosh
Website

Technical Analysis/Charting Softwares

Hi friends,

There is a long list of technical analysis/charting software that work on linux. Here is what I found after searching sf.net

[url]http://sourceforge.net/search/index.php … +charting% 29+AND+trove%3A%2877%29&sort=num_downloads&sortdir =desc&offset=0&type_of_search=soft&pmode=0&form_ca t=18[/url]

And also, this one:
http://www.sourcefiles.org/Financial/Stockmarket/

Its really difficult to decide which one is good. The need for a good TA software has always been felt in linux as there isn't any leader and decision is specifically difficult for new commers. Please post your opinion and experience about technical analysis softwares that run on linux.

I have tried aiotrade, eclipse trader, and merchant of venice. All of them have the option of downloading EOD data from yahoo, but EOD quotes come with 1 day delay, for example, on 18th morning you get the quotes uptil 16th only and quotes are updated at 8 pm (indian time) the next day.

Another program, Market Analysis System" seems to be the most popular as it has the highest number of downloads, but I was not able to work with it nor it is there in AUR. I tried to build it using abs, but was not successful. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for reading and posting your comments.

#2 2007-04-19 13:31:28

lanrat

Re: Technical Analysis/Charting Softwares

The only good TA software for linux currently available is IMHO qtstalker (the cvs version is better).
It's now integrated with the ta-lib.org library. I browsed other software about 2 weeks ago and none was even close to qtstalker. Currently I have no time to learn all it's features but I'm planning to fully use it soon. So far I've been able to create a database of stocks, funds, etc for the local stock market and metastock (prn) import filters. It's quite fast and configurable too.

#3 2007-04-20 11:08:39

ravisghosh
Website

but the number of downloads in sf.net suggets that qtstalker is not really a popular software.

#4 2007-04-20 12:41:50

lanrat

Maybe because it's usually available as a binary package in other popular distros or maybe they don't count svn downloads - I don't know.

It's quite active for this kind of software (check the sf forum). Also, I browsed the usenet and it was most often suggested as THE TA linux software in recent posts. You should try it and you'll see how different it is from the other TA software (especially java based).

Qtstalker is my choice at least.

#5 2007-04-23 07:08:52

ravisghosh
Website

Since cvs version was not working, I took the PKGBUILD of old qtstalker version (0.32) from aur and built the latest one (v 0.33). But I faced the following problem with it.

The most important problem is that it is not working!!!. I mean I able to start the application but when I download quotes from yahoo, it gives me error "bad date yyyy" where "yyyy" is an year and it's downloading only today's quotes. I searched in google and found only one place where mention of this has been made but no solutions, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qt … +bug/80470 . I followed the instructions in http://qtstalker.sourceforge.net/quick.html.

Last edited by ravisghosh (2007-04-23 07:26:56)

#6 2007-04-23 13:05:48

lanrat

I'm using updated cvs version but I'm not using yahoo plugin only the CSV (plain text) plugin.
I'll post my PKGBUILD and try it with the yahoo plugin when I come back home.

Which quotes exactly did you try to download from yahoo ? I'll try the same and we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Looks like it should be fixed in the cvs version already.

Last edited by lanrat (2007-04-23 13:11:57)

#7 2007-04-23 13:26:45

ravisghosh
Website

I found that there is a patch for the date thing which has been fixed in cvs version, but there is a problem in cvs itself which is causing the software not to be installed. I have tried cvs version from aur and have posted the error under a separate post.

#8 2007-04-23 18:37:21

lanrat

Forget that patch. I've updated my cvs PKGBUILD and tried it with yahoo and it just worked.
I've recompiled it today so it works for sure.

First you'll need to compile and install ta-lib package (because qtstalker-cvs depends on it).
This is ta-lib PKGBUILD:

pkgname=ta-lib
pkgver=0.3.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Technical analysis indicators library"
url="http://ta-lib.org"
license="custom"
depends=('glibc')
source=(http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ta-lib/$pkgname-$pkgver-src.tar.gz LICENSE.txt)
md5sums=('3b0d459775452455256320c0366c4f93' '8a76072f2fa20f4b1cc39b63709238ea')

build() {
    cd $startdir/src/$pkgname
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make || return 1
    make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
    install -D -m644 $startdir/src/LICENSE.txt $startdir/pkg/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE.txt
    find ${startdir}/pkg -name '*.la' -exec rm {} \;    
}

As root make the directory /var/abs/local/ta-lib. Save the PKGBUILD in this directory. Also download LICENSE.txt file and save it there. Run makepkg. When compilation finishes run pacman -U ta-lib-0.3.0-1.pkg.tar.gz.

Now as root create /var/abs/local/qtstalker-cvs directory, save the below PKGBUILD in there. You'll also need this qtstalker.desktop file. Save it in the same directory too.
Now run makepkg.

It will take some time to compile. When it's finished run pacman -U qtstalker-cvs-20070423-1.pkg.tar.gz.
It will install qtstalker and add it to the Office menu in KDE.

This is the PKGBUILD for qtstalker-cvs:

pkgname=qtstalker-cvs
pkgver=20070423
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Stock market, commodity and technical analysis charting application"
license="GPL"
depends=('qt' 'ta-lib' 'db')
makedepends=('cvs')
conflicts=('qtstalker')
url='http://qtstalker.sourceforge.net/'
source=(qtstalker.desktop)
md5sums=('fe0f70f1044e272380b8c755d594dd76')
options=(KEEPDOCS)

_cvsroot=":pserver:anonymous@qtstalker.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/qtstalker"
_cvsmod="qtstalker"

build() {

cd $startdir/src

msg "Connecting to CVS server..."
    cvs -z3 -d $_cvsroot co -D $pkgver -f $_cvsmod
    msg "CVS download finished"

cd $startdir/src/$_cvsmod

find $startdir/src/$_cvsmod -name '*.pro' -exec sed -i "s#\/usr\/local#\/usr#g" '{}' \;
    sed -i "s#\/usr\/local#\/usr#g" $startdir/src/$_cvsmod/lib/Config.cpp
    sed -i "s#\/usr\/local#\/usr#g" $startdir/src/$_cvsmod/lib/RcFile.cpp
    sed -i "s#\/usr\/local#\/usr#g" $startdir/src/$_cvsmod/src/Qtstalker.cpp
    sed -i "s#\/usr\/local#\/usr#g" $startdir/src/$_cvsmod/docs/install.html
    sed -i "s#\/usr\/local#\/usr#g" $startdir/src/$_cvsmod/plugin.config

./configure
    make || return 1
    make install INSTALL_ROOT=$startdir/pkg

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/{pixmaps,applications}

install -m 644 -o root -g root pics/qtstalker.xpm $startdir/pkg/usr/share/pixmaps/qtstalker.xpm
    install -m 644 -o root -g root ../qtstalker.desktop $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications/qtstalker.desktop

find ${startdir}/pkg -name '*.la' -exec rm {} \;

}

I've modified the PKGBUILD so the application is installed in /usr not /usr/local (which is hardcoded in the src).
It also saves full and updated docs (available from the help menu) including changelog files (in /usr/share/doc/qtstalker/html).

That's it. It should work with yahoo quotes.

Last edited by lanrat (2007-04-23 18:44:33)

#9 2007-04-24 14:21:15

ravisghosh
Website

Thanks a lot lanrat for the fix. By the way, which TA software you personally use?

Last edited by ravisghosh (2007-04-24 14:22:01)

#10 2007-04-24 14:23:39

ravisghosh
Website

It would be better if any TU can update the pkgbuild in aur with these files.

#11 2007-04-25 00:13:23

lanrat

I'm using only qtstalker. Nothing else was comfortable enough.
I've added comments to qtstalker-cvs on the AUR. Since the cvs version is in unsupported repo it's up to the maintainer to update pkgbuilds (but still you'll have to compile it on your own).

Last edited by lanrat (2007-04-25 00:14:45)

#12 2007-05-06 12:01:37

ravisghosh
Website

If anyone has created any indicator plugins, then could you please share it. I tried to create a few like simple channel (recommended in Dr Elder's "come into my trading room" with candles and MAs, but it did not work. Please mail it to me at ravisghosh@gmail.com

Also, how does one knows that new updates of qtstalker cvs is available and what changes needs to be made in teh pkgbuild to build the latest one.

#13 2007-05-06 15:55:25

lanrat

ravisghosh wrote:

If anyone has created any indicator plugins, then could you please share it. I tried to create a few like simple channel (recommended in Dr Elder's "come into my trading room" with candles and MAs, but it did not work. Please mail it to me at ravisghosh@gmail.com

I'm planning to play with my own indicators and scaning but at the moment I simply don't have time to do that. I'll come back to this in a few weeks.

ravisghosh wrote:

Also, how does one knows that new updates of qtstalker cvs is available and what changes needs to be made in teh pkgbuild to build the latest one.

You need to go to the qtstalker sourceforge site, then browse cvs and go to the docs directory and check the latest CHANGELOG-X.XX file - currently it's CHANGELOG-0.34.

#14 2007-05-07 08:27:30

ravisghosh
Website

In changelog-0.34, the last revision is dated April 17 after which we have built the pkgbuild. That means everthing is up to date. So, if there is anything new in changelog-0.34 or there is a new changelog-xx, it means something new has been added. In that case, will just running makepgk on the old pkgbuild give us the latest build? I guess, we will just need to change the date in the pkgbuild.

Last edited by ravisghosh (2007-05-07 08:34:57)

#15 2007-05-07 12:38:41

lanrat

If the change is not really drastic (like for example completly new configure options or new dependencies) it should work just by changing the date. Even if it doesn't work it's quite easy to rollback it to the last working version though.
If you're afraid of some changes wait a few days and read qtstalker.sf.net forums before upgrading.

Board footer