You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-22 05:32:03

LordRaiden

Getting errors with flashplugin + firefox

I sometimes get the following error when I am viewing flash animations or playing flash games using Firefox.

/opt/mozilla/lib/firefox-2.0.0.3/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  3895 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Basically, the Firefox window closes, and I have to start Firefox again. I find that it happens almost exclusively when there is any flash animation being played (although not immediately when it starts - usually some kind of transition i.e. flashing, quick change in colors or sounds). Sometimes it happens when I am scrolling towards or away from a flash animation.

In the "best" case, Firefox just closes on me. In the "worst" case, my system crashes to a standstill (sometimes  the Numlock key flashes on and off). I did several reinstalls of Arch (including hard drive formats) to make sure that the chance of it being system instability is reduced, but it still happens. Furthermore, whenever, one of the "worst" case scenarios occur, it becomes even more likely that it will occur again. Before my last reinstall (just this last Friday), it got to the point where loading  a flash animation would result in a hard lock on my system (completely unresponsive to any keyboard or mouse actions).

I am thinking about filing a bug report, but I don't know if it's just my machine (my computer is an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ with 224 MB RAM + 32 MB shared video).

Just to clarify, please don't take this as "whining complaint" about using Arch. I feel rather confident that this problem would occur irrespective of distribution. What I would like as a response are suggestions to find causes and solutions (and even workarounds besides "don't use flash") or similar experiences that arguably warrant a justifiable bug report.

Thanks in advance.

Board footer