You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-15 13:05:13

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Java forum

Hi

Would anyone like a Java forum......C++ or maybe even HTML...

What do you think ?

Mr Green

Mr Green

#2 2004-03-15 13:18:41

dp
Website

Re: Java forum

there already exist a lot of forums about java:

http://forum.java.sun.com/

:-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-03-15 13:23:04

dp
Website

#4 2004-03-15 13:25:48

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok. I get the message ...I will have a forum named after me... lol

Mr Green

#5 2004-03-15 13:30:53

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

or even....

System.out.println(" I get the message");

lol

Mr Green

Mr Green

#6 2004-03-15 13:40:05

dp
Website

Mr Green wrote:

or even....

System.out.println(" I get the message");

lol

Mr Green

i was posting the links i have under dev/java/forums

they are very usefull for starters, that i can say from my own experience (the chinese one i cannot say, because i do not understand the text, but some codes are usefull to look at --- also if you do not understand what the people speak about them) :-)

... you learn e.g. that a language that has no pointers can give you back a NullPointerExeption wink

try{
System.out.println("You are learning fast!");
}
catch(Exception e){
System.err.println("How did you get it to print this out?");}
}

... and maybe you will find source-highlight usefull

#7 2004-03-15 13:45:28

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I know I have a way to go yet .....I'm hour 7 of my book ...lookin into courses too.... 8)

Have got compiler installed....is it a good idea to have a dir for Java (say when compiled) ?

Mr Green

O saw bug reports ....2.6.4 any news ?

Mr Green

#8 2004-03-15 20:58:12

Arielext
Website

on the java topic:

does anybody here have experience with gjc? (the GCC java compiler)
It can make native binary programs, so it could speed up some programs (like the "Oh no please don't compile me" CMS MMBase that I work with every day).

apt-get install arch

#9 2004-03-15 21:10:26

dp
Website

Arielext wrote:

on the java topic:

It can make native binary programs, so it could speed up some programs (like the "Oh no please don't compile me" CMS MMBase that I work with every day).

besides that the homepage of this project is here:http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

and about some months ago i tried it, but didnt success, because i needed jdom and jdsl in a project from uni that didnt want to compile under gcj the working way and then i gave up and used the sun sdk

but as the advances are great:
- build machine code from class-files
- build machine code from source

i'm interested if you have it running the "working way" :-)

by the way: jdom is in my TUR, if anyone is interested ... jdsl has own licence, that's why i didnt make a nice pkg, but installing a jar-file is not that difficult

#10 2004-03-15 21:15:52

dp
Website

Mr Green wrote:

I know I have a way to go yet .....I'm hour 7 of my book ...lookin into courses too.... 8)
Have got compiler installed....is it a good idea to have a dir for Java (say when compiled) ?
?

hmm ... i usually have the project i'm working on in one directory and make sure every file that belongs to it is in it

e.g. under: ~/uni/info3/websengine/
i have this:

-rw-r--r--  1 damir users 2.0K Jan 28 15:22 ArchiveIndexer.java
-rw-r--r--  1 damir users 4.3K Jan 28 15:30 Indexer.java
-rw-r--r--  1 damir users  417 Jan  5  2003 MiniHttpModule.java
-rw-r--r--  1 damir users 4.0K Jan 28 15:08 MiniHttpServer.java
-rw-r--r--  1 damir users 7.6K Feb  7 00:47 ModuleIfiSearch.java
-rw-r--r--  1 damir users 5.5K Jan 28 16:37 Retriever.java
-rw-r--r--  1 damir users  541 Jan 28 14:25 SortableUrl.java

or something like this ... nothing special

#11 2004-03-16 03:29:49

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

How about having a forum related to programming where users can ask questions about java, python, C+, sh, etc.  Get help when developing apps and scripts for AL.

Markku

#12 2004-03-16 06:43:53

yak8998

a general programming forum would be pretty useful...

and sun's java forums are (were?) rather vicious, especially to noobs. asking basic questions about misc. objects and such would result in you feeling rediculously belittled. The distro-forum programming sections are good help for noobs. personally i just go to #java on freenode though, its friendly enough.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#13 2004-03-16 10:22:12

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Yes Rasat,

I agree Can we name it after me ? lol

Mr Green....

Mr Green

#14 2004-03-16 11:03:06

andy

Arielext wrote:

on the java topic:

I know hardly any Java (I tried to learn it once but never got very far), but I recently needed/wanted a Java program (console I/O only !) to run on OpenBSD. I didn't feel like installing the whole JRE/X11 enchilada on a headless OpenBSD server just for that tiny program. Neither did it run under kafee (sp?). So I compiled it with gcj (linking some of the libraries statically) creating a Linux binary, and that runs on OpenBSD under Linux emulation. There you go, my experience ;-) ...

Somebody next door is coding some memory/CPU intensive stuff in Java, he gets SIGNIFICANT speedups with gcj when compiling native binaries. However, I don't remember all the pitfalls (and there were some).

#15 2004-03-16 12:44:55

dp
Website

yak8998 wrote:

a general programming forum would be pretty useful...

and sun's java forums are (were?) rather vicious, especially to noobs. asking basic questions about misc. objects and such would result in you feeling rediculously belittled. The distro-forum programming sections are good help for noobs. personally i just go to #java on freenode though, its friendly enough.

yes, this can really be usefull ... and as we have "Games User", "Workstation User" and so on, i would say that a "Developement under Arch" or "Developement User" or something with a better name but the idea the same would be great having

i dont know how many developers around use arch as their distro, but i for myself code in java, perl and will do also soon some php/MySQL under arch and i'm fine having it (perl is always uptodate, java works for most cases (...SAX-trouble... but this is exactly for this forum and not for here))

:arrow:  you have my vote for such a category

#16 2004-03-16 16:11:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Java, my second favorite topic, and I had to be away all weekend and miss the discussion. :cry"

I don't think there needs to be a forum specific to Java, but development might be cool.

dp, you have the most comprehensive collection of bookmarks I've ever seen, is it available online? I bet it could keep me occupied for a while.

Dusty

#17 2004-03-16 16:16:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

andy wrote:
Arielext wrote:

Somebody next door is coding some memory/CPU intensive stuff in Java, he gets SIGNIFICANT speedups with gcj when compiling native binaries. However, I don't remember all the pitfalls (and there were some).

I prefer Java for ease of programming, but also for cross-platform compatibility. If you're going to destroy this advantage by compiling with gcj, why not write in ANSI standard C or C++ instead?

#18 2004-03-16 16:20:31

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

At last..... smile   

Please can we have the Forum named whatever....get it set up because Ii got loads of threads to start..

System.out.println("Mr Green");

(Its only API I know so far!)

Mr Green

#19 2004-03-16 18:11:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

JOptionPane.showInputDialog("When are you going to learn Swing?");
Applet.getAudioClip("Write an Applet too.wav").play();

wink

#20 2004-03-16 18:32:57

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I have not got to that page yet  lol

Will try to compile it soon  :?

Mr Green

Mr Green

#21 2004-03-16 19:21:20

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:

dp, you have the most comprehensive collection of bookmarks I've ever seen, is it available online? I bet it could keep me occupied for a while.

he he, thanx --- i often have mail people sending me links, that i then put on the right place in the bookmarks ... well i had plans to put it to my homepage (to be able to use it if not surfing on my own machine), but never had time to write something that do not need php/mysql to work on my site (i really like programming in php for internet-things, but my provider gives me not php for my private site sad --- only javascript / DOM2 is really not much using and parsing xml ... any api you know in js? i have to write my own wink because i searched for it, but not found really usefull stuff)

#22 2004-03-16 19:37:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:
Dusty wrote:

he he, thanx --- i often have mail people sending me links, that i then put on the right place in the bookmarks ... well i had plans to put it to my homepage (to be able to use it if not surfing on my own machine), but never had time to write something that do not need php/mysql to work on my site (i really like programming in php for internet-things, but my provider gives me not php for my private site sad --- only javascript / DOM2 is really not much using and parsing xml ... any api you know in js? i have to write my own wink because i searched for it, but not found really usefull stuff)

There's an XML API in Java since 1.4... you could write a Java applet to interpret your bookmarks file.  It could be an assignment for our new Java prentice: Mr Green. :-D

#23 2004-03-16 19:50:45

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Yes Master... lol

emmm try archbot on irc .....he is a Java wizard..... 8)

Mr Green

Mr Green

#24 2004-03-16 20:03:42

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:
Dusty wrote:

There's an XML API in Java since 1.4... you could write a Java applet to interpret your bookmarks file.  It could be an assignment for our new Java prentice: Mr Green. :-D

a very nice excercise for Mr Green, i can imagine, maybe in one month or so ... the helpfull jdom is in my TUR

my original idea was to have something on my site, to be able to add or/and remove links while surfing not on my machine ... but for something like this you need at least smething on the server to modify files on the server because only from the client (browser) you cannot (and should not) be able to do so

i now also surf with konqueror and have to find out how to have one bookmarks.html used by mozilla and konqueror (if this is possible) ... knoqueror has a nice export to html function in it's bookmark editor

#25 2004-03-16 20:27:58

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Hmmm. is it possible to share bookmarks between browsers using LDAP? I have no idea what I'm talking about, but you might look it up.

You have broadband, dp? You could set up Apache, PHP, tomcat, whatever you like on your local machine, then connect to it without having to route through the ISP. wink

With Arch, you can do anything!

Board footer