You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-24 15:28:23

heleos

[solved] fglrx and fglrx-utils

upgraded this morning, it prompted me if i wanted to remove ati-fglrx and ati-fglrx-utils, so i did. when i restarted and ran fglrxinfo, i get this error:

[heleos@erebus ~]$ fglrxinfo
ERROR: version mismatch - 2D module [8.36.5] incompatible with OGL client module [8.35.5].
libGL error: InitDriver failed
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

i read about doing a depmod -a to fix the problem, but it didn't help.

Last edited by heleos (2007-04-28 05:13:08)

#2 2007-04-25 14:41:51

heleos

Re: [solved] fglrx and fglrx-utils

well... i seem to have found the problem, but not a way to fix it.

running the command LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fglrxinfo > /dev/null gives me the following output:

libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 8.36.5 fglrx (screen 0)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so
libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 8.36.5 fglrx (screen 0)
drmOpenByBusid: busid is PCI:1:0:0
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports PCI:1:0:0
ERROR: version mismatch - 2D module [8.36.5] incompatible with OGL client module [8.35.5].
libGL error: InitDriver failed

apparently it installed the 32 bit version of the dri module?

#3 2007-04-26 17:28:29

PAPPPmAc

I had the same problem on a pure 32 bit system.
I just needed to reboot to solve it(restarting  X might be sufficient?); it doesn't swap out LibGL while X is running (remember, fglrx uses a special LibGL thats part of fglrx-utils).
Upgrade also left out the Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings; line in amdcccle.desktop so it showed up somewhere funny in menus.

#4 2007-04-26 19:38:33

heleos

wasn't that easy for me. i tried restarting, deleting all my libGL files and reinstalling.

i finally just ended up going back to the ati-* packages, and they work. guess i'll have to wait to try again

#5 2007-04-27 16:04:06

heleos

well, i finally solved my own problem smile

it was basically me being stupid. when the initial install didn't work, i downloaded the drivers from the ATI site, and tried to manually install. i had to force xorg 7.1 (even though they're suppose to work with 7.2) and i guess that must have caused some file conflicts. i used the fglrx uninstall script that came packaged with the ATI drivers, rebooted, and now its finally working with the 8.36.5 drivers smile

just an update for people that need to fix this problem if they're as dumb as me

#6 2007-05-08 13:54:24

VincentV

hi folks,
     Well I just seem to keep having trouble with ATI drivers, dunno if it's me or what.  Anyway, tried upgrading 'em last night & like heleos finally ran /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh "by hand" and then used pacman to install the fglrx stuff and now it works fine.  But this was after floundering around for almost 2 hours last night trying different things.  At this point I dunno what all I tried, I repeatedly used pacman to install the new fglrx stuff, I downgraded to the 8.34.8-3 packages, I fiddled with xorg.conf (thank God I'd backed it up!) and so on. 

Anyway just wanted to share that using that uninstall script then doing the upgrade with pacman worked fine with me, graphics are really groovy here now (I have the Powercolor R96-LD3 Radeon 9550 by the way, works great with Linux), which is cool so I can do some 3D stuff for work. 

By the way, thanks everyone for Arch.  If the only problems I _ever_ have are a few struggles with my graphics drivers, I got it made.  Much better than what I go through with XP Pro & other systems. 
VincentV

VincentV
Somewhere in J-Pop Heaven...

Board footer