#2726 2012-10-17 12:40:48

terence

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

(println "hi, there!")

#2727 2012-10-17 13:11:14

Flymo

Admetus wrote:

I'm in China, teaching in China, trying out fluxbox on my laptop.  XFCEvsFLUX  I'm still a novice so fluxbox will prove to be a steep learning curve.  Hoping to find reasons to stay with fluxbox when I install on an SSD based PC.  I love customisation and I'm going to break out conky for a try too.

Hello and welcome to the wired.

Hi there Admetus - Fluxbox is grand - hope you get into it.  Used it happily for years before succumbing to the seductions of E17.

Fluxbox  is  full of character, configurable via text files, light and fast too.  My favourite trick was showing off all the personalised bling with pseudo-transparency, intriguing disappearing widgets (amongst others - wmmoonclock, wmsun, wmspaceweather) etc 
...and  then opening the man pages for the  widgets - to show  that some of them were written in the 1990s! 

XFCE is good too - but not quite as light.  It is quietly elegant with an optional lightweight compositor.

Not certain what GUI I'll end up with on Arch, might start with LXDE? Hmmm...
I'm still having fun getting Arch up on the Raspberry Pi - and learning about systemd in the process.... wink

Hi folks!  I'm new here too...

Hand~crufted code since 1977 wink

#2728 2012-10-17 13:18:51

Jobbe

Hello world!

#2729 2012-10-17 18:22:15

Ziomalon

Hi everyone!

#2730 2012-10-17 21:57:04

skinnie

Hi everyone smile

Lenovo Thinkpad X230/12.5' Flexview IPS/Samsung 830 256Gb SSD/16GB DDR3/Intel HD4000/Intel 6205 Wifi

#2731 2012-10-18 08:53:09

hariskar

Hello,
after trying a lot of distributions I was between debian (stable and testing) and Arch. I preferred Arch because it is a rolling distribution with updated packages of programs. Everything OK till now!

#2732 2012-10-19 13:53:37

murphaph

Hello All, first post here!

#2733 2012-10-19 14:44:23

0ctobyte

Hello everyone! I've been using arch for over 6 months now (switched from ubuntu), and I love it. I figured I might as well join the community here.

#2734 2012-10-19 14:59:56

naseito

Hello everyone!

I been using Arch for a few months and i feel very confortable with it, specially because of the great documentation and community.

So now its time to join the forums and try to learn more about Arch (and if i can help others).

See u!!

PS: Sorry for my crappy english.

Last edited by naseito (2012-10-19 15:00:16)

#2735 2012-10-20 01:43:04

nil

nil wrote:

Hello world. In the past, I've put off installing this due to constantly hearing that it's for the 'advanced user,' but I've been rather unhappy with the customization in other distros. As a result, I've kept switching them out every few weeks, when I became too frustrated to deal with their inner workings anymore. After reading the Arch Way and some pages on the glorious Arch Wiki, I look forward to what this distribution can offer.

Just finished the installation! I have to say the whole procedure took ~8-10 hours, though I'd say the first 3 hours or so was preparation (determining what partitions, in what order, how to dual-boot with W7, etc.). The actual installation took quite a bit longer than I expected, since I really installed the thing three times. There were a few crucial idiosynracies to my system which forced me to do steps in the Beginner's Guide out of order; of course, it would take trial-and-error to find that correct order. Nevertheless, I succeeded, and I'm quite excited to have such a sleek operating system. I look forward to the "tweaking the system" fun now.

#2736 2012-10-20 11:42:30

espirit
Website

JLloyd13 wrote:

Shortcuts can be configured though ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml assuming you followed the wiki and copyed the files over. Openbox is just a WM, which could be considered the 'core' of a x gui. Thus, docks and transparenticy would have to be added via oter software (ie a-w-m and xcompos or what ever its called) basiclly chosing a plain WM like Openbox means setting stuff up your self- most archers use a standalone WM. personnlly, I use Openbox (or sometimes DWM) with few other things, no docks, transparenty, etc. just feh for the wallpaper, gtk-engines to make it look nice and tile-windows.

Thank You Very Much for your reply JLloyd13. Yes, I have followed the wiki. And I understood your point. I'll give another try to Openbox. However, as a "little" exercise for my programming skills I am thinking of experimenting with Clutter, Wayland and mx (Meego UI (wm) for netbooks which is based on clutter) and currently I am in a research stage - studying their codebase. In my opinion it would be nice if we had a lightweight compositing wm (compiz and mutter are slow and stacking, tiling wms are "old style-ish"). I don't think it will grow to something "big" but at least I will improve my prog.skills smile. If you or someone else interested in "this stuff" feel free to contact me smile. Thank You.

-- espirit

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

#2737 2012-10-20 13:01:43

Bernd

Hello World. :-)

After working a lot with gentoo and debian I stumbled over archlinux which looks very promising because of the rolling release system. I just noticed that I started with the first systmd start system which makes it quite a bit of 'fun' because most of the wiki pages still refer to the old init system.

#2738 2012-10-22 22:23:50

pope

Hello world! Very excited to get started with Arch smile

#2739 2012-10-24 14:10:14

Seditio
Website

Hey there! I've been using arch for over 4 months now but only just signed up on the forums, should I feel ashamed? I came on here because the support is nice and I have some questions and things to share, so good day everyone!

#2740 2012-10-24 15:12:00

WonderWoofy

Welcome Seditio... don't be ashamed.  I prowled these forums, unregistered for quite some time before I actually felt I needed to do it.  Once I did though, I found that I really love contributing to these threads.  It is really great having many like minded people all contributing here.  I figure, since I am not a developer, I can contribute in other ways, like helping here.

#2741 2012-10-24 15:29:07

marcopus

Hi everybody! I come from Ubuntu and so I'm really new to Archlinux.. but hope to find my way!! And I know this forum will contribute enormously, since I won't ever feel alone! smile

#2742 2012-10-24 19:58:40

Pharaoh_Overlord

Hello i am just about to install Arch Linux and begin my quest into learning Linux. Ive had ubuntu for quite some time but want something new.
I here arch is good to learn with/on.

My USB is ready see you all when i return on Arch!

Wish me luck

#2743 2012-10-24 20:10:24

JLloyd13

welcome!

#2744 2012-10-24 20:23:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Pharaoh's thread merged

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2745 2012-10-24 20:39:40

masteryod

Pharaoh_Overlord wrote:

Hello i am just about to install Arch Linux and begin my quest into learning Linux. Ive had ubuntu for quite some time but want something new.
I here arch is good to learn with/on.

My USB is ready see you all when i return on Arch!

Wish me luck

Welcome smile

Yes, personally I think that Arch is the best teacher you can find out there.

Couple of friendly advices:
1) If you don't have experience with more advanced distros and CLI start learning Arch in comfort of virtual machine (VirtualBox for example). You'll have your working current OS to do real work, you'll have web browser with opened wiki/forums. You can't do any damage while partitioning etc. Then when you'll get familiar enough with Linux/Arch/CLI move to next step which is real installation (for installation on USB thumbdrive/HDD you'll probably gonna need "usb" HOOK in your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf)
2) Wiki! Arch wiki is just extremely thorough, your job is to follow it, read and learn.
3) Don't be afraid of CLI, don't expect you can run Arch Linux without it, learn your tools.
4) Make yourself a favor and before you post something on the forums please search it first. Also don't expect people here will do things for you. We're very helpful community but we can't do all work for someone. Arch is DIY distro - basic knowledge is most welcome. In case of newbies - will to learn is required.
5) Read about Arch, understand what it is and what it's not. Read about concepts behind Arch, especially - KISS. See this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
6) Learn pacman, don't use GUI for it (there is none officially supported) - having an eye on pacman's output is extremely important. Pay attention to any warnings, take care of .pacnew files. If something won't go smooth, don't act tough, go to archlinux.org news section, check forums. Don't ever use --force switch reckless! unless you were told how to exactly do it in archlinux.org official news.
7) Either you'll fall in love with Arch or not (it's a matter of personal character I'd say) it will be very educative trip.

That's from the top of my head. It's enough for the start. Good luck.

[edit] This also aply to marcopus and other padawans

Last edited by masteryod (2012-10-24 20:40:50)

#2746 2012-10-25 05:02:01

aus4000

Hello everyone! I came from Windows, then decided that my computer sucked and used Ubuntu for about a year or so. After having problems with my web server and Googleing on how to fix it, these forms came up constantly so I looked around the wiki (BTW the website is excellently designed!) and I was HOOKED! Now my server and my desktop run ArchLinux without any problems I can't fix by either looking on the wiki or these forms. It is amazing how bomb the community is here with it's support! big_smile

Last edited by aus4000 (2012-10-25 05:03:15)

#2747 2012-10-25 06:58:17

axel668

Hi everyone !

I'm not really new, but I just got back to "vanilla" Arch after 2 years (was Crunchbang, Archbang and Mint XFCE in between) and felt like a total noob when I discovered rc.conf and the installer were gone !! But with the help of the install guide and the all knowing Arch wiki (read on the phone) I could still install Arch and set up working X in roughly 2 hours last night.So I went to sleep with the comfortable feeling of having achieved something, and the anticipation of loads of fun ahead of me ...

Missed you, Arch, glad to be back smile

Last edited by axel668 (2012-10-25 07:02:16)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#2748 2012-10-25 12:43:38

syslock

Hi All,

Been using arch for about a year now, the wiki and forum are great and have solved all my issues.

#2749 2012-10-25 13:24:45

ewaller
Administrator

axel668 wrote:

Hi everyone ! ... with the help of the install guide and the all knowing Arch wiki (read on the phone) ...

Welcome back!  In case you were not back yet when this was posted, check out this thread for an Arch Wiki reader for Android.  He did a great job smile
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1174618

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2750 2012-10-25 13:47:16

nomorewindows

axel668 wrote:

Hi everyone !

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Arch.
Arch who?
Arch you glad you came back?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer