You are not logged in.

#3851 2014-03-22 08:19:40

Astroarch

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

ewaller wrote:

No, I meant that your request is reasonable.  As a moderator, I do not have the power to help you.  I dropped a note for an administrator; they have stronger magic than do I.

Ah ah ah!
Thank you so much for your help.
I forgot to say that my target is to reach the full independence from Windows in 6 months, because I need to test the Win software that, good or bad, I use in my daily activity.
Then, I will totally erase the Windows partition and have a pure and geniune only Archlinux laptop.

#3852 2014-03-23 03:52:59

andjeng

just re-installed arch a month ago.
i stop using arch for half a year because one or two thing.

just looking around. wink

#3853 2014-03-26 13:22:27

jbhere

Haai everybody ,i installed arch with KDE & installed network manager. Now network is not connecting after booting.I can only connect after stopping & starting network manger.

"systemctl stop NetworkManager.service"          &               "systemctl start NetworkManager.service".

Anybody know solution for this ?

#3854 2014-03-26 13:27:53

drcouzelis
Website

jbhere wrote:

Haai everybody ,i installed arch with KDE & installed network manager. Now network is not connecting after booting.I can only connect after stopping & starting network manger.

"systemctl stop NetworkManager.service"          &               "systemctl start NetworkManager.service".

Anybody know solution for this ?

Nope, but you probably shouldn't post a technical question in a thread called "The Official Hello Everyone Thread". tongue

And when you do ask a question, remember to include details and information! wink

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-03-26 13:28:28)

#3855 2014-03-26 15:11:09

marcyb5st

Hello everyone,

My name is Marcello and I wanted to introduce myself to the Arch community. I finally decided to move from a more noob user friendly distribution (Mint) because I think the time feels right to go deeper down the rabbit hole.
I have some prior experience, but I still consider myself sort-of a noob. I hope to being able to assimilate the knowledge and redistribute it sooner or later big_smile.

Thanks Arch team for the amazing distro and the community for the impressive work. Cheers big_smile

Marcello

#3856 2014-03-26 18:24:05

Tlu

Hello everyone,

My name is Tam, and I switched over to Arch because I was using Mint/Ubuntu before and for some reason wanted to try and delve deeper into Linux, and I thought Arch would be a great way to do it.  I think I've been on it for at least half a year now.

#3857 2014-03-26 18:53:47

mr8

Hi there,

Im Chris and i am new to the Arch Linux scene.

I have been running Arch on a PC from Jan 2014 and i can safely say Ubuntu wont be going back on it any time soon big_smile .

This forum and the Wiki have been a great source of information to help me and i thought ill join in the comunity.

Looking forward to many happy days running Arch Linux,

#3858 2014-03-27 01:00:11

Laneless

Hi, I'm Laneless. I'm a freshman CmpE student who's been using linux on and off since about 8th grade. I was an Ubuntu fanatic until Unity came out, at which point I tried Mint (which subsequently broke everything) before rejoining the Windows clan. Say what you want, but W7 is pretty solid stuff if not a tad ugly. I've recently been running a Minecraft "server" using Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS, also known as the fattest thing since deep fried butter.

I saw Arch Linux in some distro comparison video. I was looking to replace the ubuntu on my box with something less crap, so I figured "Hmm... very customizable no-bull OS might be a refreshing change." I followed the *extremely comprehensive* (thank you, community) Beginner's Guide to the letter and now have a wonderful little setup for what I will use as an extra computer.

LightDM
Cinnamon DE (I chose this over Mate purely on aesthetics)

I'm quite particular in having what I want, and ONLY what I want, on my box now. I figure that's the whole point of building an OS from scratch. I hope I won't be too much of a nuisance, and I thank you all in advance for the help.

Cheers.

#3859 2014-03-27 10:09:38

RickardJ

Hail to the community! 

My name is RickardJ, and I picked up Arch as something to learn more about Linux in general.  I've been using the wiki and reading man pages left and right for the last 24 hours, and have realized that is SO much that this project has to offer me!  I hope to continue to learn, and hopeflly, one day, when i'm far more knowledgeable than I am now, be able to put back into the project for someone else.  (But first though, to begin to understand and perform things like making Xorg reconize my multiple video cards. *sigh*, but that is for another post, heh.) 

Thanks for reading this greeting from a greenhorn.

#3860 2014-03-28 22:20:42

luca2

Hi all!
I am a total noob since my last time experience was with my spectrum and msdos ... yeah, i am old man:)
I want to give linux a try and I ended up trying Arch because I use Unraid as my NAS, and in the last beta version Xen is built in, so I am trying to virtualize an ArchVM on it ... (and then trying passthrough too).
Just fighting with several isssues ... and hope someone can help me out.
Rgds

#3861 2014-03-28 22:50:24

nomorewindows

luca2 wrote:

Hi all!
I am a total noob since my last time experience was with my spectrum and msdos ... yeah, i am old man:)
I want to give linux a try and I ended up trying Arch because I use Unraid as my NAS, and in the last beta version Xen is built in, so I am trying to virtualize an ArchVM on it ... (and then trying passthrough too).
Just fighting with several isssues ... and hope someone can help me out.
Rgds

Open thread(s) related to the problems. 
You skipped out on Windows?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3862 2014-03-29 00:24:55

werkman2

switched 4 month ago, and im gonna stay, for me arch is like this, you buy a car, but you have to design and build it yourself.

if i have to confess, i have try manjaro first, and then said, screw it, im going arch pure and proper

Last edited by werkman2 (2014-03-29 00:28:06)

#3863 2014-03-29 01:12:00

wyntre5150

Hi everyone,

I am new to Arch but not new to Linux.  I started using Linux back in 1998 installing Red Hat to an old PC I have at the time.  Currently I am running Fedora 20, Linux Mint 16, Raspbian and Arch.  So far I love Arch Linux on my raspberry pi.

Nice to meet you all,

~~~~wyntre5150

#3864 2014-03-29 01:16:38

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

wyntre5150 wrote:

So far I love Arch Linux on my raspberry pi.

Welcome to the BBS. Just so you know ahead of time though, what you have is not ArchLinux. It is ArchLinuxARM. See this for more information.

All the best,

-HG

#3865 2014-03-29 03:42:16

wyntre5150

HalosGhost,

I am aware that there are differences between the main Arch Linux distro and the Arch Linux ARM distro.  I apologize if I made a mistake over semantics.  I am just introducing myself as a new comer to this community.  I am/have been a part of Red Hat/Fedora, Linux Mint, Slackware, Debian, Madrake, and Suse communities over the past 16 years.  I am now giving Arch a try as so far it reminds me of the Slackware way of doing things (do-it-yourself) but it a less time consuming manner (less time messing with gcc).

Right now I am very pleased with being able to get a usable system up and running in a short time.  The raspberry pi fun machine to be able to work with and I am happy that Arch has been ported over to it as I find Raspbian (and apt-get) to be far to clunky for my taste.  I hope to be able to contribute to this community as I learn the Arch way of doing things.

Sincerly,

wyntre5150

#3866 2014-03-29 04:02:24

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

wyntre5150 wrote:

I apologize if I made a mistake over semantics.

No, no, you're fine. I just wanted you to know ahead of time that the community doesn't support derivative distros. You are still welcome to come here and learn and contribute, of course.

All the best,

-HG

#3867 2014-03-29 06:14:53

morlin

Hello everyone,

I've been using archlinux on and off for about two years, finaly decided to join this great forum.

Looking forward to contributing,

-Morlin

#3868 2014-03-29 07:41:59

drcouzelis
Website

werkman2 wrote:

for me arch is like this, you buy a car, but you have to design and build it yourself.

I WISH I had a car with free software and a package manager. sad

Welcome. smile

#3869 2014-03-29 12:12:33

Shahrukh36

Hi, I am Shahrukh. I have been using Ubuntu for some time. After reading a great article over at Lifehacker, decided to give Arch Linux a try. I am currently installing it on my desktop. Hope it goes well.

#3870 2014-03-29 13:47:54

Ezea

I'm Ezea. I used Ubuntu for a while and am now running arch on two machines. I am challenged regularly, but I have learned so much and am now operating efficiently!

#3871 2014-03-29 19:51:00

HiImTye

hello! I don't know why I haven't done this sooner! I'm Tye!

I was a long time *buntu user, who distro hopped for a long time, being not quite happy enough with any distro. eventually I found myself here, at Arch, and although I had a technical hiccup the first time that I didn't have time to resolve, and went back to Lubuntu, I ended up right back here! most recently, my old PC died - an old Core2 Duo that had been hinting at dying for a while, but I was blinded to them. it died from a power failure! ugh! to my surprise, I just put in my old hard drive in my new box, and it booted up with only minimal issues! it took only a short time to get them resolved, with a bit of tinkering, and research.

I've been a long time contributor on the Ubuntu forums, helping people get things sorted and introduced to the world of Linux (if you're curious - http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=84 … e#aboutme), and more recently, have been a contributor to the Arch forums as well.

This time, it seems, I'm here to stay!

edit: I forgot! what got me to try out Arch again, was the Arch Action Show! (the Linux Action Show "Arch Linux Challenge" episode - back in June or something)
when Chris and Matt gave it a try, it reminded me that I had loved the experience the first time, and that it was only a minor problem that prevented me from using it, and this time around I actually had time to get things sorted.
edit2: found it, if you guys wanna watch it wink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyiaiF_-A2M

Last edited by HiImTye (2014-03-29 20:14:24)

#3872 2014-03-30 19:16:05

n8henrie
Website

Hi everyone,

I'm a Linux newbie that decided to give a shot to Arch on my new Chromebook. Installation is not going so well, but I'm slowly making progress with the help of the Wiki and its several sections dedicated to Chromebooks. I decided on Arch based on its reputation for being lightweight, and because it seems like a project that will help me learn how to get around Linux more comfortably.

I have a raspberry pi running Wheezy and an old PC with Ubuntu, my main OS is Mac OSX. We'll see how this experiment goes!

#3873 2014-03-31 23:23:36

TMKCodes

Hello to all of you Arch geeks and other newbies.

I'm Finnish IT Engineering student and I have been using only GNU/Linux for the past 6 years. Even before that I was playing around with it, but was dual booting Windows for gaming as I was such a kid back then. I have known Arch Linux exists, but I have been quite scared of rolling release distributions because I thought they have pretty much untested packages like debian sid. Few days ago I installed Arch Linux for the first time and I love this experience of not having to worry about upgrading the system with fresh installation never again. I would even switch my Ubuntu 12.04 server to Arch if I would not be so horrified of reconfiguring postfix and courier, though I will have to do it in few years when 12.04 LTS support ends. I'm not going anywhere from Arch and I hope Arch will not go anywhere!

#3874 2014-04-01 04:17:09

tjamir

Hello everyone,

I am Thiago, a Brazilian IT Engineer / Software Engineer MsC Candidate. I was a Ubuntu user for about two years, and since January I am trying Arch and loving it. I am still a Linux rookie.
Currently I am having trouble installing video drivers for my thrid Arch system ( the first two, were my office laptops), but I know I will figure it out!

Cheers!

#3875 2014-04-01 04:22:45

darthearon

Hi, i starting using linux when my band teacher (i never took band lol) showed me ubuntu in high school. this was version 6.10, this was just after the first time i found a command prompt ( %systemroot%/cmd.exe ) and i shortly afterward wrote a batch file that was used at a chat room in my keyboarding class, as we were not aloud to talk....mwha ha ha ha. anyway ubuntu became a bit bulky so i switched to slackware for less bloatware. someone on an irc channel told me about arch linux (this was about a week ago)  and i love it so far. Hellow everyone! i always want to learn more about computer stuff in general, not just linux. in fact today i just finished a door lock project. (i can unlock my door which my watch.) email me if you want to know more. Anyway this is my first time getting on a forum and ACTUALLY POSTING! so we will see how this goes. Wish me luck everybody!

Last edited by darthearon (2014-04-01 04:23:40)

Cya At The Table

Board footer