You are not logged in.

#3901 2014-04-15 05:31:07

Hyde302

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey all! I am Hyde302, can just call me Hyde.  20 years old from US.  I might be the closest thing to a newb as it gets.  I started using Linux in general about a year ago. I was just jumping from distro to distro using a live cd, just getting an idea of the user interface, nothing hardcore.

I decided to install Linux mint on my brothers laptop because his drive died. He enjoys using the gui, although I don't believe he knows anything about the terminal, at least not yet.

So far my most favorite distros are Arch, Manjaro, and Crunchbang.  I still have very little experience with Linux to appreciate the awesomeness.

Last edited by Hyde302 (2014-04-15 21:15:16)

#3902 2014-04-15 05:39:12

ewaller
Administrator

Hello Hyde,
Welcome to Arch Linux.  Just a couple points though.  First, I am glad your brother resisted the temptation to violate Microsoft's copyright.  We have a strong policy in that regard.  Also, we ask for respect towards other operating systems and the teams that maintain them  Critiques are fine, but we try to keep it professional.

Thanks

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3903 2014-04-15 12:14:22

nomorewindows

I think they are able to get unadultered long lost installation isos as long as you have a COA/product key in hand (and as advised from Microsoft forum mods).

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3904 2014-04-15 21:13:40

Hyde302

Hello ewaller,
     Fair enough, I apologize.  I suppose the first thing I should have done was read the rules. That was completely my fault.

#3905 2014-04-17 16:48:14

k4173k

Hello everyone! Joined the world of arch linux a few months ago, finally joined the forum as well. I love it. After hopping from one distro to another, i finally settled in here! So much fun tingling with such a system... I would like to thank all the devs that made it possible!

I'm new here.

#3906 2014-04-18 01:52:33

Pednick

Just wanted to say a big hello and that I'm happy to say I switched from Debian to Arch Linux in the flavor of Manjaro. smile

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

#3907 2014-04-18 09:40:58

Slithery
Administrator

Pednick wrote:

Just wanted to say a big hello and that I'm happy to say I switched from Debian to Arch Linux in the flavor of Manjaro. smile

Manjaro != Arch
If you need any support with your system please remember to ask on the Manjaro forums, this forum is for Arch Linux only.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3908 2014-04-19 07:14:11

nuke

Hello. I'm lithuanian. Add me to Arch fans list!

#3909 2014-04-21 04:18:13

RyanH

Hello. I'm Ryan.

#3910 2014-04-21 06:57:44

ramkatral

Hello,

Name's Eric.  I'm a paramedic in the great state of North Carolina.  I've been a linux user/supporter/advocate since the 90's when I ran my first instance of Red Hat Linux.  Since those days, I've pretty devoutly run Slackware over the last decade or so.  I decided to have a little fun with a new ultrabook I bought, and I decided I'd like to try something new out, so here I am.  I just finished the last little bit of configuration and I'm running Arch with cinnamon with very little issue on an HP split X2 ultrabook.  So far, pretty happy with this distro.  Command line doesn't scare me, and the installation was a breeze. Pacman is a beast when you're used to no manager at all.  It gets old having to maintain your own dependencies and compile everything yourself.  Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Glad to be here.

#3911 2014-04-21 12:44:57

gajesh

Best Place for Noobs Please feel free!!
Ask and extend your knowledge.(Knowledge is Power)

Mind itself is Heaven of Hell and Hell of Heaven-Anonymous

#3912 2014-04-21 12:50:55

drcouzelis
Website

ramkatral wrote:

Since those days, I've pretty devoutly run Slackware over the last decade or so.

Command line doesn't scare me, and the installation was a breeze.

Reminds me of the old saying, "If you need help with Linux, ask a Slackware user". wink

Pacman is a beast when you're used to no manager at all.  It gets old having to maintain your own dependencies and compile everything yourself.

I experienced something like that after running Slackware for about one year back in college. I then tried Debian and the apt package manager and realized just how amazingly easy my Linux experience could be. I do sometimes miss the feeling of checking websites myself for new packages, downloading them, and building them and their dependencies into "/usr/local". But I don't miss it THAT much. smile

#3913 2014-04-21 20:25:12

ramkatral

Yea, you definitely learn command line in Slackware.  Of course, back when I first started using Linux, Xfree86 was a shell of what desktops are like nowadays.  They were horribly ugly and had limited capability.  I never even booted a desktop environment.  Even for IRC, we used IRCii.  Hell, I always used Lynx text based browser lol. 

I'm not sure I'll ever want to go back to manual installations.  I am getting spoiled by pacman.  Just like earlier... I had an issue with my WLAN.  I accidentally hit the hard block switch on my laptop.  I released the hard block, but I couldn't get the soft block that had now appeared to go away.  I referred to rfkill, and I was informed that apparently my base install didn't add it.  Solution? Plug in an ethernet cable and type pacman -S rfkill.  I giggled like a little kid.

#3914 2014-04-22 12:37:11

Strompf
Website

Hello, folks!

When Windows Vista came around in 2009, I switched to Linux. First to Ubuntu, and when the Unity interface came around, I switched to Mint. On the advice of a friend, I gave Arch Linux a try, and I liked it immediately. I still do everyday's work on a Linux Mint machine, but those days may be countered. One of my favourite slogans, maybe apt for Arch:

Perfection is reached, not when nothing can be added anymore, but when nothing can be removed anymore.

Regards,
Jeroen.

Last edited by Strompf (2014-04-22 12:37:27)

Jeroen Strompf, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://devliegendebrigade.nl - System Maintenance, Webshops, Online Marketing
http://devliegendebrigade.nl/wiki - Wiki
http://devliegendebrigade.nl/wiki/index … nux_-_Arch - Arch Linux (Dutch)

#3915 2014-04-22 14:18:15

nomorewindows

Strompf wrote:

Hello, folks!

When Windows Vista came around in 2009, I switched to Linux. First to Ubuntu, and when the Unity interface came around, I switched to Mint. On the advice of a friend, I gave Arch Linux a try, and I liked it immediately. I still do everyday's work on a Linux Mint machine, but those days may be countered. One of my favourite slogans, maybe apt for Arch:

Perfection is reached, not when nothing can be added anymore, but when nothing can be removed anymore.

Regards,
Jeroen.

Maybe no more distro hopping?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3916 2014-04-22 16:35:36

lightdot

Hello everybody.

Is this a good place for a first post?? hmm tongue

Ok, ok, I know it is... Feels a bit weird coming to a forum like this and starting completely fresh. Jeez, post number one... Haven't done that in a while. Just so that everybody knows, I'm wearing a chain of garlic around my neck too, according to subtle warnings in the first post of this thread.

Ok, so... I've been a linux user and a contributor since... er... were the woolies still roaming back then? Yup, the times of the last glacial period, sounds about right.

Anyway, it was a bit cold so I started wearing a hat (was it a red hat? I think it was...) and continued to do so, occasionally looking over the fence to see how the Joneses are doing. When the fashion trends brought new and classy fedoras, I said to myself why not, and started wearing a fedora at home & at the office, while sticking to helmets... er... red enterprise hats at the construction sites I manage for my daily job. Safety first, and so on and so forth.

Lately, those modern fedoras seem to vary in style a but too much for me. A clear case of middle age crisis? We'll see, I guess... roll

Thinking about how to cope with this period of life, I remembered that a friend of mine has advised me some time ago that building a stone arch isn't a bad way to take one's mind off things. Or was he talking about taking up archery? Or just suggested making something explode with a big boom? Hm. I don't recall. But it seems like most of the folks in this forum do all of the above and more, so I thought I'd join... and see where this goes.

#3917 2014-04-22 16:51:18

drcouzelis
Website

lightdot wrote:

Feels a bit weird coming to a forum like this and starting completely fresh. Jeez, post number one... Haven't done that in a while.

Hi! What other forums are you active in? Anything exciting? smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-04-22 16:51:40)

#3918 2014-04-22 17:18:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Strompf wrote:

One of my favourite slogans, maybe apt for Arch:

I read that and said "Noooooo, I like pacman better !!"

tongue

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3919 2014-04-22 18:21:38

ramkatral

I wouldn't trade pacman for apt if you paid me.

#3920 2014-04-22 18:51:22

lightdot

drcouzelis wrote:

Hi! What other forums are you active in? Anything exciting? smile

Nah, I don't think so... Not really. No clandestine organizations, medieval book clubs or projects attempting to send virtualized amoebae to nearby star systems... Nothing that would be even thinking of using an .io domain or reaching singularity.

I used to spend more time on various forums and mailing lists, I guess. As far as IT goes, even some cool ones, back when the hosting business was still relatively young and Linux or any form of virtualization was considered new and avant-garde. These days I just keep up a bit with Fedora, RHEL, OpenVZ and some programming frameworks, like Web2py... mostly pretty standard stuff.

I am open to recommendations, though!

#3921 2014-04-23 01:16:13

Pednick

slithery wrote:
Pednick wrote:

Manjaro != Arch
If you need any support with your system please remember to ask on the Manjaro forums, this forum is for Arch Linux only.

No probs, that goes without saying, I actually opted for Antergos instead and am not looking back at debian at all. smile

Last edited by Pednick (2014-04-23 01:17:16)

#3922 2014-04-23 03:12:10

ewaller
Administrator

Pednick wrote:
slithery wrote:
Pednick wrote:

Manjaro != Arch

No probs, that goes without saying, I actually opted for Antergos instead and am not looking back at debian at all. smile

Antegros != Arch either.

Regardless, welcome to Arch, but until and unless you run Arch, we won't be able to help you here.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3923 2014-04-23 05:44:45

RobertLM78

Greetings all!  Just wanted to post in the NC now that I've setup my first Arch system in VirtualBox, complete with KDE Plasma desktop big_smile.  I've been using Linux (mainly Mint 13) for over two years now, so I thought it was time to tackle an Arch install.  To me, Arch is the 'Holy Grail' of distros.  Eventually I'll do an install on the 'real iron', but for now, I'm pretty excited to have gotten this far.

I'd also like to say that I really liked the 'How not to post' thread - very nice!  lol

well enough of my ramblings - I'm proud to be aboard.

(Edit to fix dyslexic moment and poorly worded sentence tongue)

Last edited by RobertLM78 (2014-04-23 05:57:30)

~$ cowsay $(fortune)

#3924 2014-04-23 17:02:19

Pednick

ewaller wrote:
Pednick wrote:
slithery wrote:

Manjaro != Arch

Antegros != Arch either.

Regardless, welcome to Arch, but until and unless you run Arch, we won't be able to help you here.

Like I said that goes without saying so there was no need to say it again, it's understood that I will ask arch supported questions if I have any. smile Blessed be.

Last edited by Pednick (2014-04-23 17:03:09)

#3925 2014-04-24 02:26:54

transcendev
Website

Hi all. Been using Arch for a long time, but never got around to registering for the forum until now.

Board footer