You are not logged in.

#4151 2014-08-31 14:29:31

Mark Knecht

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi all. Longtime Gentoo user in California trying out Arch on my Raspberry Pi B+. Looking forward to seeing how Arch does things.

#4152 2014-08-31 22:55:59

karol
Archivist

Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi all. Longtime Gentoo user in California trying out Arch on my Raspberry Pi B+. Looking forward to seeing how Arch does things.

For Arch Linux ARM questions please go to http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153431

#4153 2014-09-03 05:01:12

m1ph1x

Hello ladys and gentleman. I've started my linux journey with 'gasp' Ubuntu 13.04. Started network systems engineering course and discovered kali linux. The contrast opened my mind up to other possible linux distros that would suite my personal needs as well as interests. What drew me to Arch linux was, every time I requested a search in google, about something linux general, I would find myself in the Arch Wiki. All to leave it that much wiser on the actually mechanical and technical workings of linux. I really appreciate the hard spent time in developing a fantastic wiki such as Archs. It really is right to the point and not bloated like this hello post or ubuntu's wiki. Thank you gentleman.

#4154 2014-09-08 01:20:53

shade404

Greetings, all. I've been using Linux for about 6-8 months now, and have been a big distro-hopper, trying to find the flavor that I enjoy the most. The appeal of Linux, for me, is the freedom and power granted to the user. That's what drew me in. I've reached a point where I really want to get my hands dirty and learn the inner workings of Linux, so I just installed Arch on a VM to get some work in until I get experienced enough to install it as my main OS.

I look forward to learning from you folks.

#4155 2014-09-08 03:12:27

mwarner

Hey All,

Just converted to Arch, I've heard of it many times and used the documentation on arch's wiki more then once to solve issues on other distro's. Although with a recent laptop upgrade I found myself needing kernel 3.17 to support my hardware, and attempts with other distro's left me with broken optimus support big_smile So I made the plunge to arch, it was suprisingly simple to compile the mainline kernel from the AUR and my required mods through abs....super smooth process, I'm completely sold on Arch Linux big_smile

PS. Not to mention scaling for my HiDPI monitor is working awesome, rescales almost perfectly on changing resolution, a first for any linux distro I've tried.

Last edited by mwarner (2014-09-08 03:14:51)

#4156 2014-09-08 05:01:42

makhlaghi

Hi all,

I am an astronomy PhD student. Nearly all astronomy's software requires GNU/Linux, so ever since I began my course (like nearly all Astronomy graduate students) I had to operate in GNU/Linux. First I was using Fedora, then I moved to Scientific Linux and recently to CentOS (mainly to try out GNOME 3), which was not available in SL at the time (still isn't). But GNOME 3 had some problems and along with the accumulated frustration I have been having in properly learning and customizing GNU/Linux I decided it is enough and I have to learn it properly.

I am fed up with claiming to be curious about the universe while being so ignorant to the technology that is increasingly doing most of my (and any researcher's) work. So I am trying to install Arch Linux to learn all the components of a complete GNU/Linux system one by one and most importantly in practice. I also highly value documentation and admire the Arch Linux community for having created such a fantastic and rich resource (the wiki).

I am looking forward to learn a lot from this community, thank you.

Last edited by makhlaghi (2014-09-13 02:02:52)

#4157 2014-09-08 09:33:18

WHPN

Greetings Archers!

Just like the astronomy student posting before me, I felt like it was about time to properly learn how to operate a linux machine. I have been on Ubuntu for a few years, but I never really got comfortable with using anything (expect for the package manager, which I really liked). I have been using Xmonad for quite a while, and like so many other Xmonad users I frequently found myself consulting the Arch Linux pages for help.

I installed Arch about a week ago, and I am far from done setting up everything. So progress is slow, but it's real progress and I am enjoying learning all these thing. Yesterday's great discovery was the .Xresources file!

I promise to work hard on not becoming a help vampire and to actively contribute to the Arch Project. If not by writing insightful wiki pages, then at least through Zazzle.

All the best,
William

#4158 2014-09-08 12:03:32

bilbs84

Hello everyone. Thought I'd introduce my self, and just say Hi to everyone, I'm sure I'll be needing help at some stage, so I may as well try and get on your good sides now lol
Im not too bad with most day to day things, been using Ubuntu for a few years now, just got bored one day, looking for something to do, and remembered trying linux years ago, but couldnt figure anything out (tbh, I have no idea why) but this time I installed, played around, didnt boot into windoze for 6 months. At the moment, I dont even have a working windows install on my machine. So, nice to meet you all smile

#4159 2014-09-08 17:25:06

Dersheep

Hi everybody !

I've been using linux since 3 years. I have tested different distributions (ubuntu, opensuze, debian, fedora...) but I want to understand more about linux and play with it wink. I have heard about AUR packages and I want to be a part of this project.  That's why i have decided to go to archlinux. I hope I will improve my progamming skills, contribute to contribute to the arch project and meet people wink

#4160 2014-09-09 00:29:53

volumetricsteve
Website

Hey everyone,  I've been at it with linux on and off since about 2002 and unix since about 2005....I've been putting arch linux off WAY too long, I already love the impression this distro has made on me.  This is the only distro of linux I've come across where the documentation for installation is EXACTLY right. (aside from the ones that do it for you, ubuntu, linux mint, etc)  I was immediately blown away.  I'm coming from FreeBSD, OpenSUSE, Solaris 10 and 11 (more so 11), Tiny Core, SliTaZ, and Crux to name a few.  I'm into electrical engineering and systems architecture.  I'm currently trying to combine these passions to build an arcade machine platform that will never break which I'm hoping to base on arch linux.

#4161 2014-09-09 12:22:23

tentorange

Hi everybody,

My system runs Arch for some time now and I love it. During the last few months I encountered some problems which could be solved without joining the forums.
But now its time. So here I am trying to learn myself into Arch.

Cheers smile

Oha.

#4162 2014-09-09 16:05:09

CamelAmp

Hadn't ever actually done much on any of the linux forums asides from distro specific. Been running Ubuntu for a few years now, ditched it for Mint about 2 years ago. In the last 6 months I have found Arch and am very happy. About to throw it onto my primary desktop on a spare HDD, thinking about trying out i3 on that been using xfce mostly and a little awesome.

Hoping to find some really good info around here and maybe check out the irc soon. I just started hosting a new personal server that I am hoping to get owncloud fully running. Haven't had enough time to hammer out some privacy stuff and get the actual email server up.

I have done about 2 years of C++ now starting some work on php and python. Know a little C and C#, a little assembly, want to really get into Vala. Pretty familiar with SQL stuff and Apache. Adobe Certified in Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, and Premiere. Most of my work though was in Premiere and I got the other 3 just because I could from the use I had given them over the years. Kinda looking for guidance as I get harder into programming, done basic admin stuff for years with some small servers. I am hoping to get some certification on Linux administration and some other sysadmin type stuff to go with it. I have been fooling around with LUA for about 6 years, but about halfway through that I put it down. Really hoping to get back into it for some Awesome scripts.

Haven't really had any personal friends or acquaintances that had as much admin and super user experience as me. Been staying on with the news and some linux pod casts, blogs, and YouTube videos. Hoping to start getting into the community more maybe start helping out some projects.

Primary: MSI z87-GD65 Mobo, Haswell i5 4670k @ 3.4GHZ baseclock, MSI Twin Frozr GTX 780 GPU, 16gig RAM 11-11-11, 2x 2TB HDD in RAID 0, 120GB SSD , 1TB HDD, all SATA 6.0. Win7 boot on SSD, Debian on 1TB HDD.
Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad u310 26GB SSD and 500GB HDD, running arch with XFCE on SSD, and arch with awesome on HDD.
Nexus 5 stock ROM rooted, ASUS Transformer t300 tablet rooted, stock OS.

#4163 2014-09-10 00:48:14

kbroskie
Website

Hello everyone. I have been using Arch for a few months now, and the forums and Arch wiki have been a great help to me - thanks to all those who have helped me in one way or another. smile

#4164 2014-09-11 12:35:41

mrabe89

Greetings from Germany.

I installed arch on my MacBook 4 days ago and am very satisfied with the result.
Little problems here and there, but nothing critical.
I'm sure I made the right decision to switch from gentoo to arch.

#4165 2014-09-13 02:21:45

rifak

Hey everyone. Recent Arch user here (spent ~7 years in Fedora and Debian) and just switched my machine to full-time Arch...absolutely in love. Glad to be a part of the community, and am going to do my best to be a productive member.

I also want to give a huge thanks to everyone who had a role in making the Wiki what it is. That thing is a work of art.

Last edited by rifak (2014-09-13 03:54:10)

Asus Zenbook UX302LA
  Intel i5-4200U
  250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

#4166 2014-09-13 07:43:24

hb860
Website

Hello everyone.
I am from Russia, I came to Arch from Windows through Debian. I am considering Arch Linux as the best OS for [my] home PCs and laptops and I am happy to participate in our great community.

#4167 2014-09-14 04:09:51

mek42

I have my first functional Arch install now, complete with KDE (this post is from said install).  It is a virtualbox guest on my Windows 7 machine.  I am a long time OpenSUSE user.

I decided to take the plunge into Arch for two major reasons, to review my sys admin skills and to audition distros for a planned 16 or so core build.  One of the reasons I want to review my admin skills is to eventually teach them to my daughter (she is only 3 now, so I have time to remember stuff).  My current desktop is old, only 2 cores and I'd like to build a multiple cpu Opteron system to learn parallel programming on.  That system will have Linux on the bare metal with maybe a Windows guest (medium gaming / Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 are the possible causes of this, though most games I'm able to run under wine on my laptop).

My major prior computational experience was maintaining a personal 3 node Beowulf for computational chemistry during grad school many years ago, though I taught myself enough Fortran to make a modest contribution to the CPMD project.

#4168 2014-09-14 19:54:44

ailjazi
Website

Hi, I used to be an Arch Linux long time ago. I didn't really have time for it though.

For the past month I switched to Arch Linux completely (from Ubuntu/elementary OS). I also discovered Tiling Window Managers (which I am hooked to). I tried a lot of them and decided to stay with i3WM, that is until today that I discovered bspwm! Which is awesome! (not to be confused with awesome WM) smile

My major is on Web Design/Development but I have done some kernel stuff, scripting, and I've been on Linux since mid-2006, starting with Kubuntu 6.06 and I admit that I've mostly used Ubuntu, Ubuntu-like, Debian or Debian-like distro's since then.

smile

#4169 2014-09-14 23:39:27

nomorewindows

What's not awesome about awesome?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4170 2014-09-16 10:59:07

darkknightsrikar

Hello everyone I entered linux world by using Ubuntu distribution and i left it from the past three months i have been using Arch Linux completely and it is awesome.

#4171 2014-09-17 10:58:17

Shieldfire

Just a quick hello. Was a Gentoo documentation developer a long time ago (like several years).
Haven't had the time for Linux in almost the same period of time, but got a free laptop fairly recently. Not into compiling every single piece of software to use any longer, hence Arch.

#4172 2014-09-17 12:06:15

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

^ See you over at the wiki. wink

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#4173 2014-09-17 15:54:58

zx

Hi All,
I'm using ArchLinux from long time ago... I started working on Aurox 8.0 distro:-), and I tried many other (Slackware was my favorite)...
Linux is my main OS, and I'm not using other OS (but BSD looks interesting, maybe some time I will try)..
I'm KDE user, big fun of Qt, I love C++, and other programming languages.
ZX

#4174 2014-09-18 07:58:44

xedchou

hello every one smile

#4175 2014-09-19 00:56:34

supergeek800
Website

Hiya! I actually just installed my first Arch install yesterday after running Archbang for a year, with a different face for the final six years of that install, and it feels pretty awesome once you get it installed and running, even after a second try due to missing a step on the Beginners' Guide on the first attempt. It's safe to say any future Arch installs will be done the Arch Way AFAIC.

I was originally going to use Enlightenment for my desktop, but I changed my mind and went back to MATE + Compton + MintMenu, like I had in my previous Archbang install before nuking that and installing Arch. The unfortunate consequence to that decision is I lost most of my music, however the lost music can be easily reobtained. smile

Going to submit a screenshot of my current desktop in the Desktop Screenshots thread, whatever it's named. All in all, first time on Arch is a huge success so far.

PC: Arch Linux x64 | customized Cinnamon desktop | Latitude E6440 | Core i5-4310m | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Das Model S Pro Soft Tactile keyboard | Logitech Trackman Marble trackball.
Audio: Sony STR-DH500 5.1ch AVR | Modified Koss Portapro headphones | Rockboxed Sansa Fuze | Realistic Minimus 11 front and rear satellite speakers + Minimus 7 center channel.

Board footer