You are not logged in.

#5426 2016-07-20 01:15:44

djwyman

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone I am pretty new to Arch but not new to linux distros. 

I Used various debian and debian based distros since about 06 or so on and off.  I have tried rpm distros and never really liked any of them (fedora, opensuse, ect) 

The other day my laptops os took a dump (was running a cloud ready a chromium os) so I decided I would go with a normal linux distro.  I started with ubuntu but then I decided I wasn't happy with it and wanted something different then I went with debian but wasn't happy with it because it was either run stable which is out dated as can be or unstable in which I could not get to do things I wanted it to just right and no support because debian people only want you to run stable.

I started looking at what the other options out there were.  I kept running into recommendations for Arch because I wanted up to date software, I wanted a rolling release, and I wanted to be able to pick what stuff was installed from the start.  My only 2 hangups was I was intimidated by the idea of installing with command line and I only really knew the debian way of installing stuff with apt-get and such.  I kept looking at other options and even installed antergos(or however it is spelled the distro that is based on arch but has a gui installer) for a day or so which helped me get used to pacman and how it works.  Again i was not happy with that either.  By this time I decided to give arch a try.

My first attempt when decent but I was not happy with a few things like the fact that installing gnome and not gnome-shell installed a bunch of crap I didn't want and I couldn't figure out how to enable network manager at first so that wasn't working without starting it everytime I logged in and a few other odd and end mistakes I made but I took notes of my mistakes and started over and I have to say now I have the perfect linux distro for me on my laptop set up with the programs I want on it and didn't have to remove crap someone else thought I should have with themes they thought I should have and so on.  I am very happy with arch and have gotten pretty good at using pacman, systemctl, AUR and yaourt.

#5427 2016-07-20 03:05:52

Texbrew

Welcome to the Arch Linux pond. Your path to get here sounds very familiar, much like my own.

tex

#5428 2016-07-21 22:43:48

DragonSlayer

Hello All; I am DragonSlayer.

I have been using Arch for several years casually, however i have just today set up a forum account.
I am a senior electrical engineering student at UC Davis; I jumped to Arch on my quest to get lower and lower to the hardware, and have never been disappointed.

I am running Arch on my homebuilt AMD FX with KDE, as well as  CLI on my 2008 MCBP and Raspberry Pi B+. This summer i will be trying some outrageous things with my RPI so i decided to join up.

In all my code hacking however i haven't found a better community or documentation than right here and on the wiki, so thank you all for the great time!

Happy Coding

///////////////////////////////////
//...DragonSlayer......//
///////////////////////////////////

#5429 2016-07-21 22:57:45

nomorewindows

DragonSlayer wrote:

Hello All; I am DragonSlayer.

I have been using Arch for several years casually, however i have just today set up a forum account.
I am a senior electrical engineering student at UC Davis; I jumped to Arch on my quest to get lower and lower to the hardware, and have never been disappointed.

I am running Arch on my homebuilt AMD FX with KDE, as well as  CLI on my 2008 MCBP and Raspberry Pi B+. This summer i will be trying some outrageous things with my RPI so i decided to join up.

In all my code hacking however i haven't found a better community or documentation than right here and on the wiki, so thank you all for the great time!

Happy Coding

You do realize that RPI is ArchLinuxARM?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5430 2016-07-21 22:57:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Welcome to the forums DS.  All your archlinux questions are welcome here, but keep the following in mind for anything for the RPi:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153431

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5431 2016-07-22 10:00:03

ndk

Hi all.

I've been using Arch for around 3 months or so now, (I'm active on IRC you might have seen me asking silly questions once or twice). Currently dual booting Arch and OS X, though I've found myself booting straight into Arch more than i do OS X lately smile

Same as a lot of folks here I imagine, I love to tinker and break things then learn how to go about fixing them, so Arch seemed like a great environment in which to accomplish that. I've since learned the value of the hallowed 'RTFM' philopsophy.

That's about the size of it.

Oh, I'll be studying InfoSec in September.

Cheers,

ndk

#5432 2016-07-23 07:42:16

mazhar

Hi eveyone

It's been nearly a month since i joined arch realm.
I used to be a windows user since i was 9, now 10 years later i found the lady arch smile
anyway happy arching your problems till they break.

Sincerely, Me

We are archers, we live in dark to serve the light.

#5433 2016-07-23 18:04:06

shamans

I'm finally here!

ME: Computer science student. Rising Senior. Current interests are web/mobil development.

Learned last year that I need a *nix based OS to do what I want to do. Spent a good week reading about Arch and the community. All my friends discouraged me saying you'd mess up everything if you went with arch as your first distro but I didn't really want to listen to them.

What made things worse was that I didn't have any good system to get Arch running on. I had to get a desktop but then I learn that it's better to build your own desktop. Again, I had never done this! After weeks and weeks of research, I built my own pc. It  wasn't easy but what was to come after that was even more challenging.

Because of how my apartment's router is set up I had to sit with by back arched (pun intended) in this small corner working on getting an install done. After many failed attempts with systemd, I went to the stackoverflow forums and someone there helped  me install is with grub.

Then I had to get Wifi running... but it worked out pretty easily. I now have some other issues for which I'm hoping this forum will help me.

Anyway, that was my story. It's pretty interesting I think. In steps it can be summarized as:

1 - wants to make a basic website. 2- wants to learn ruby 3- need *nix for ruby 4-arch linux is the best for me 5- need a pc 6- builds a pc 7- installs arch 8- now back to making that ruby website!

As a newbie I hope I am not a nuisance. I sure hope I can add value to the arch team!

#5434 2016-07-24 02:45:30

abramelin

Greetings everyone. I have been using Linux for over 3 years and have gone through a lot of headaches and moments of glory within this OS. I don't use any other operating system although I did try out windows 10 last year for a week mainly because of the game support and curiousity. However I immediately came back to my favorite distro at the time, Linux Mint, because I had realized the control structure Microsoft had silently built all around that particular OS and being that I enjoy my privacy and am one of those sane people who has a black duct-tape over my laptop's camera, this just wasn't going to do for me.

I am the type of person who will stay up all night long working on various things of my concern on my laptop. I used to be a regular on Nexiuz, but have slowly drifted away from games. This is my first successful Arch install and it is the distro I have always wanted to use. I have attempted an Arch install a couple of times before this one but didn't exactly follow the guides I was using word for word. For example, if a command didn't work correctly the first few times I tried it, I would skip it and haha.. You can assume how that went. This time if something didn't work, such as I was having trouble with a few things as getting my wifi-menu to work correctly and I am working with a data hotspot I am using (no internet connection here) so I couldn't use ethernet, ect ect. All said and done I am happy with it. Distros such as Linux Mint force "junk" (programs I don't need or want) on me and I love control, so Arch is the perfect messiah for me.

I would welcome anyone who would like to chat to email me if they'd like. It'd be nice to have some Arch friends as my IRL friends don't exactly know or understand when I talk about computer tech savy stuff.

Abramelin

#5435 2016-07-24 19:52:41

zbiko
Website

shamans wrote:

I had to sit with by back arched (pun intended)

I'm pretty sure you mean "hunched", not "arched" - an image search should show you the difference.

Android Awesome Clojure Emacs fish i3 Matrix.org OpenCL pacaur Qubes RISC-V seL4
--
Reproducible Arch builds? Yes please https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/43407

#5436 2016-07-24 20:37:29

arch-toto

Hi everyone, yes... I'm a newbie to Arch. I successfully installed it yesterday.
Mi name is edgardo and i'm from Argentina!!!!!

see you around!!!!

#5437 2016-07-25 12:18:52

drcouzelis
Website

zbiko wrote:

I'm pretty sure you mean "hunched", not "arched" - an image search should show you the difference.

Huh. What do you know. I learn a lot on the Arch Linux forums. big_smile

#5438 2016-07-26 06:04:02

Doomguy2084

Hello everyone and Greetings from Bosnia, I am new to Arch community even If I have previously used Arch...

I have joined so I can ask few questions, and maybe answer few questions.

Cheers.

#5439 2016-07-26 21:11:30

prometheus069

hi @all
im new here and i dont know what to post here, so here are some stats about me:

WM: dwm
arch_user_since: 7 months
programming_languages: c, python ...and (if it counts) shellscript.
conclusion: still a greenhorn big_smile

hope i can learn something from all of you.

sad){ neutral:& };:
lol these smileys nowadays...

#5440 2016-07-27 16:45:02

s4mpl3N4m3

Hello world!

I'm so happy I finally got Arch running on my computer!

Greetings from México!

#5441 2016-07-27 20:02:34

zbiko
Website

prometheus069 wrote:

programming_languages: c, python ...and (if it counts) shellscript.

Bash counts... if you don't believe me ask Google https://google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml

Android Awesome Clojure Emacs fish i3 Matrix.org OpenCL pacaur Qubes RISC-V seL4
--
Reproducible Arch builds? Yes please https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/43407

#5442 2016-07-30 13:47:19

imon25

Hello world

Greetings from Dhaka, Bangladesh !!
Been dual-booting ubuntu for past few years. New to arch-linux.Today successfully installed Arch Linux -the arch way in my HP laptop.
Hope i will be able to learn a a few things.

Thanks.

#5443 2016-08-02 23:49:35

dali99

Hi everyone!
I've been testing arch linux on my old laptop before but wanted to kickstart actually using linux by using it for my desktop as well! And since I wanted to learn about how everything is put together, I chose Arch again. (And because the AUR is freaking awesome)

I've already learned a lot about partitioning and bootloaders, and currently learning about virtualization, in my ever thwarted attempt to install windows to a VM tongue
Hopefully in the coming years I will become some sort of linux wizard, and help out on various forums. But until then, I'm afraid you'll have to bear my questions smile

Thanks a lot!
- A norwegian teenager

#5444 2016-08-03 16:57:24

2r83

hi, everyone

wow my first post

hi again from indonesia

Last edited by 2r83 (2016-08-04 10:39:47)

#5445 2016-08-05 01:07:50

RNqF6iO1RY

Hello.
me,a new Arch user!
Greetings from URL REDACTED
Come and visit us!

-- mod edit: removed url.  Trilby --

Last edited by Trilby (2016-08-05 12:28:10)

#5446 2016-08-05 12:07:36

Seventh

Hi another newbie to Arch, love it. Using Pacbang openbox currently.

#5447 2016-08-05 12:23:21

runical

Welcome all!

Seventh wrote:

Just be aware that Pacbang/Architect is not Arch and that you should ask for help on your distro's forums smile

#5448 2016-08-05 12:51:27

Seventh

runical wrote:

Welcome all!

Seventh wrote:

Just be aware that Pacbang/Architect is not Arch and that you should ask for help on your distro's forums smile

But it is Arch based or am i missing something?

#5449 2016-08-05 12:55:38

Awebb

Seventh wrote:
runical wrote:

Welcome all!

Seventh wrote:

That might be true, but we have very specific rules regarding and not allowing support for derivatives here for various reasons.

#5450 2016-08-05 13:10:04

SanskritFritz
Website

Awebb wrote:
Seventh wrote:
runical wrote:

Welcome all!

That might be true, but we have very specific rules regarding and not allowing support for derivatives here for various reasons.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … .2Aonly.2A

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

Board footer