#5501 2016-09-02 18:17:58

xela92

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everybody :-)

#5502 2016-09-03 18:26:25

Morzone

Hey there.

After some advice from a friend, I decided to make computer science my field of study and my first step into this field I wanted to be programming, specifically Linux. After looking into Linux and realizing there's different forms I had decisions to make. My goal was to learn Linux and after noting the windows-like distros I knew I wanted something harder to use that would teach me. I was told to go to Manjaro(I think that's how you spell it) buuut I decided to try Arch Linux. After learning Arch and being comfortable(or as much as i can..) with the OS I wanted to install Python and begin watching CourseWare videos hosted by MIT on youtube on their introduction to computer science and programming and then do that on Arch.

Arch is.. Alien. I do really love the custimozation and the style but damn it's not easy. I must have spent around 9 hours just installing the damn thing to reach the point where I'm in the GNOME interface. It's just.. So vast and I know there's things I need to fix like the dhpcd service that doesnt work and need to remove and the fact that video doesnt work only audio does oh and web videos dont work either it prompts you to download. SO MUCH things I feel I need to do but I don't even know the questions to ask.

If you're familiar with MBTI I'm a INTJ and if you use INTJforum.com I'm Morzone on there, too.. If you recognize my name, cool, I use it pretty much everywhere sometimes in different forms.

Nice to meet you.. Time to get back to the how-can-i-stop-drowning-in-arch game. <_<

Lost Arch Linux user.

#5503 2016-09-03 19:02:46

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

It's just.. So vast and I know there's things I need to fix like the dhpcd service that doesnt work and need to remove and the fact that video doesnt work only audio does oh and web videos dont work either it prompts you to download. SO MUCH things I feel I need to do but I don't even know the questions to ask.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fixing.gif

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5504 2016-09-03 19:56:19

Texbrew

@Morzone, Nice to meet you, too.

I must have spent around 9 hours just installing the damn thing to reach the point where I'm in the GNOME interface... SO MUCH things I feel I need to do but I don't even know the questions to ask.

I don't think 9 hours to install Arch Linux and get a desktop is all that unusual even for someone who is "experienced" using other linux distros.

As to what questions to ask, pick one. Just now, I put this phrase into a search engine - StartPage - my favorite,

arch linux: how to ask questions

The first hit was https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct

A little way down that page, under the heading Correctness is a short paragraph worth reading, with a bonus link http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html This should help you get answers to your questions - when you figure out what to ask...

I believe once we learn how to use Arch Linux - I'm fairly new here, too - we can do anything that can be done in any linux distro. So I hope you stick with it.

How I got into Arch was by installing it in VirtualBox in another linux distro, and eventually I gained enough confidence to do a full install on "bare metal".

Seems I took too long to reply. I just followed Alad's link to a video clip. Perfect humor for those times when we don't know where to start.

tex

#5505 2016-09-04 01:21:43

Morzone

Thanks.. I shall read that page. I don't think I'm ready to ask a question yet.. I wanna see what I can figure out on my own.

So far.. here's my major changes(for me)
can play mp3 files
can use mail client
can watch youtube/anime, installed flash,enabled HTML5
can use the internet+browser(duh)
can use skype via chromium plugin

Might not seem much.. but that's what im mainly doing for now. So far I really like it.. Blows Win7 out of the water with customization. Hell, just the ability to change songs through the notification panel is a big one for me.. And the workstations.

I'm trying to deviate from windows. I can afford theapplications menu with gnome extension because otherwise its kind of a pain.

Lost Arch Linux user.

#5506 2016-09-04 11:55:31

Neruson1138

Hello everyone. I'm a 35 year old Linux user from Portland, OR. I guess I'm kind of a newbie... I've been using Linux since about 1998-99 during my senior year in high school. Started out with Slackware (still my favorite distro, Arch is a close second though wink ). I have to admit I haven't used Arch Linux in about 6 years. You guys still had the ncurses installer back then.

I got a used little Acer C720 Chromebook with only a 16GB SSD inside it, so I decided installing an OS like Slackware probably wouldn't be a good idea since I would most likely run out of HD space during the first day of compiling and since Arch Linux is really the only other Linux OS I've ever enjoyed using I obviously went with it, Almost everything has gone well so far, and getting used to Systemd is probably the most challenging. Got nothing against systemd. I've just never spent any time using it (The ArchWiki is great resource BTW).

Anyway, thanks for your time. Might poke my head around here from time to time. I know I have one issue that I might make a post about in the correct forums at a later date. Personally, I always try to exhaust Google searching before I make a forum post.

- Cheers

#5507 2016-09-04 14:46:13

Texbrew

Glad you're here. I notice a few new members posting most everyday. Seems Arch Linux is gradually drawing a croud.

Personally, I always try to exhaust Google searching before I make a forum post.

Always a good idea.

tex

#5508 2016-09-04 19:56:36

luknw

Hello!
TL;DR: Yeah, that's mostly it. I guess I'll be infrequently posting more of those overthought walls of text in the future smile

I've been trying to switch from Windows to Linux for quite some time already, but it never really clicked. Tried with Ubuntu first and after the initial phase of typical, I guess, Linux awe ("wow, everything is so fast and responsive"), Dash started to feel a bit messy/unwieldy; and so came the age of Mint. In the meantime, I started noticing distribution agnostic drawbacks (pretty nicely compiled here), which succesfully kept me in a dual-boot homeostasis with a default entry: Windows, which was getting the job done. Maybe not with a finesse, but it did.

Then my CS studies began and I had another kickstart/incentive, because following a well established workflow, i.e. getting various dependencies, automating tedious stuff, is fabulously easy in Linux. Around that time, I've stumbled upon ArchWiki while balancing on a weeping crag of RTFM and STFW (solving some not so well established problem with Linux). Well, it certainly did leave a mark, because the wiki contained a lot of practical info not to be found elsewhere; plus it had a cool logo and great layout tongue. I've read a bit about the The Divine Arch Way and stuff, and the idea of really learning what's going on in the OS from a tiny basis, adding components along the way, resonated with me.

The moment of completing the basic Arch instalation, when you're left with the blank screen and the looming prompt, cut off altogether from the wonders of GUIs is kinda magical. It was at the same time mind shattering and insanely cool. Since then I've been tinkering here and there, setting up basic functionalities and learning to appreciate an enormous effort put into compiling ArchWiki. I'm still at the beginning, but if something doesn't work, I know at least that after reading a lot of man/wiki pages and a few tries everything is doable and I'll learn a lot in the process. Basically, it's similar to building a base out of Lego.

Don't want to turn this board into another pseudo-scientific (still engaging, though) MBTI one, but I'm INTP wink

#5509 2016-09-04 21:17:09

Texbrew

The moment of completing the basic Arch instalation, when you're left with the blank screen and the looming prompt, cut off altogether from the wonders of GUIs is kinda magical. It was at the same time mind shattering and insanely cool.

It's my belief that I've learned more about linux in the year and a half since I first started with Arch Linux than in nearly 6 years using other distros. If you want to learn the nuts and bolts of linux, I think you've come to the right place.

I still use another distro part of the time; while it's faster at startup than windows (which I don't use anymore), it's painfully slow to start compared to Arch.

Enjoy the experience.

tex

#5510 2016-09-04 22:06:50

kgtuning

Welcome to all, seems a lot of us are introverts... no wonder we pick up Arch. Setting up Arch took me a while as well but definitely worth it. Reading the wiki will answer most problems, however I have used other guides along side the wiki when I'm uncertain. ISFJ on the MBTI.

#5511 2016-09-06 09:55:41

uberpronoob

Hi everyone, other than using knoppix and a couple other "live cd" emergency distros this is my first real time using Linux. Although the learning curve seems steeper than other flavours I was attracted by the core principles and look forward to breaking more of my system.

#5512 2016-09-06 19:34:31

BitterCynic

Usually my online handle is unrelated to the topics being discussed but this is one of the rare cases where i feel obliged to live up to that name.
-what have i gotten myself into...
Well first of all hello you bash shell driven heads in a jar. Second registering on this forum is particularly painful when a sha512sum has to be manually entered via this onda android tablet I'm typing on right now. Obviously i generated the string using the incomplete arch install on the desktop in front of me.
If i wasn't so determined to finally learn and use a Linux os daily... Let's just say that a mostly gui user coming from windows would never call the wiki and installation guide, quote - excellent. That wiki is a seemingly never ending rabbit hole with so many links to follow you can't help but question just how much of all that a non developer will ever possibly need to know.

Before i get a "friendly" offer to leave in the direction of Ubuntu land, it's where i come from since my and others questions seem to fall on deaf ears there, finding relevant posts that are months old with zero responses is not very reassuring.

Well my whining aside, I'm not an idiot and I'm more than willing to learn and i have some of odd preferences that make a diy custom set up preferable over out of the box turnkey distros. I hope i won't feel like tracking down and slowly murdering everyone by the time I've set up my arch box the way i want it. Inb4 more deafening silence and zero response threads...

#5513 2016-09-06 19:49:27

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Second registering on this forum is particularly painful when a sha512sum has to be manually entered via this onda android tablet I'm typing on right now.

I used a portable keyboard on my Palm in 2003; surely, you could do the same on a tablet in 2016? tongue

Let's just say that a mostly gui user coming from windows would never call the wiki and installation guide, quote - excellent. That wiki is a seemingly never ending rabbit hole with so many links to follow you can't help but question just how much of all that a non developer will ever possibly need to know.

Well, the wiki - or Arch for that matter - cares little for popular opinion on what path it takes. Instead it shows interest for those willing to contribute to it.

Either way, just think of the wiki as a TVTropes for Linux. wink

Last edited by Alad (2016-09-06 19:50:23)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5514 2016-09-06 19:59:17

Awebb

BitterCynic wrote:

Well my whining aside

You've got the job. Welcome to the family.

#5515 2016-09-06 20:00:08

drcouzelis
Website

Alad wrote:

Second registering on this forum is particularly painful when a sha512sum has to be manually entered via this onda android tablet I'm typing on right now.

I used a portable keyboard on my Palm in 2003; surely, you could do the same on a tablet in 2016? tongue

And with Swype, sha512sum entry is even faster! big_smile

#5516 2016-09-06 20:16:16

ewaller
Administrator

BitterCynic wrote:

... registering on this forum is particularly painful when a sha512sum has to be manually entered via this onda android tablet I'm typing on right now. ...

Bah!  In my day, we had to use the front panel switches.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5517 2016-09-06 20:46:09

Texbrew

ewaller wrote:

Bah!  In my day, we had to use the front panel switches.

I don't know if that's true, but I think it probably is.

No wish to hammer the OP, IM(not so)HO, I think you have want to install Arch. First time or two I looked into Arch, I thought it was too difficult for me. A year or so later, I decided to jump in for the challenge of it. No regrets (but it helped to have a second machine).

tex

#5518 2016-09-06 22:14:02

BitterCynic

Awebb wrote:
BitterCynic wrote:

Well my whining aside

You've got the job. Welcome to the family.

I'm not much of a family person though, i'm yet to axe my way into a bathroom following up with a "here's Johnny" but you know...

Anyway typing this on a freshly installed firefox on whatever this plasma desktop thingy is. I'm afraid i will still have to spend a few weeks staring at a terminal and going through the wiki among other things but at least i can put my tablet aside for now.

#5519 2016-09-06 23:47:25

donfuy

Hello. I've been using Arch Linux on and off for a while. First time I did it was on my glorious Asus Eee 701 (around 8 years ago?) and what brought me into arch was really how I could have just and only just what I wanted. Then, Arch introduced me into xmonad, which sucked most of my free time (...and busy time) trying to make it look *just* like I wanted. With a new fast computer two years after came Windows, and with that came games and laziness. So arch was still on a partition on the new one, but not really very used, except for messing with dwm.

Fast-forward 8 years ago, my old-new computer broke and I currently have a 6 years old Thinkpad X201. It was running dwm until two days ago, when I (finally!) realized that tiling window managers aren't for me.

Aaand here I am. After countless visits here (thanks!) I decided to make an account and introduce myself!

#5520 2016-09-07 14:46:47

dimmy

Hello guys,

I first installed Arch Linux eight months ago. At first I felt super powerful (I should say that I was pretty new to Linux altogether) but then things started to break. I started having trouble fixing things because I didn't know anything. Then I tried Ubuntu, openSuse and many other linux distributions (even Manjaro) but ultimately came back to Arch Linux. So I've been using the system for a couple of months and today I finally decided to join the forums. Thank you for everything guys!

See you around.

#5521 2016-09-07 15:26:12

Texbrew

BitterCynic wrote:

Anyway typing this on a freshly installed firefox on whatever this plasma desktop thingy is. I'm afraid i will still have to spend a few weeks staring at a terminal and going through the wiki among other things but at least i can put my tablet aside for now.

That terminal thingy is part of the fun. Looks like you got past a hurdle or two, congrats. You might want to consider your tone. If you need help, you'll likely get it, but only after you've done your homework, and you ask politely.

@dimmy, Welcome from another newbie. I think Arch Linux is like a powerful electro magnet that keeps pulling people back. We deal with whatever breakage happens and keep moving. Congrats on fixing your breakage...

@donfuy, Thinkpads seem to love linux. I'm writing this on a T420 while Arch is running on a USB 3.0 thumb drive and another distro sits idling on the hard drive... I tried a couple of those tiling window managers, and I'm not a fan, either. I really like OpenBox on my Arch installs.

Have fun, y'all.

tex

#5522 2016-09-08 01:34:22

devoxel

Not a newbie to arch. Been using arch in DCU's CPSSD and Redbrick for a good time.

tbolt (maybe thegoldenbadger here?) first showed me it. such a joyful thing <3

Love from Ireland,
@devoxel

#5523 2016-09-08 11:34:25

BitterCynic

Texbrew wrote:

Looks like you got past a hurdle or two, congrats. You might want to consider your tone. If you need help, you'll likely get it, but only after you've done your homework, and you ask politely.

Look at it from my perspective, I do search and read through info on my own and get as much done as i can without asking anyone, mostly because that's just usually a much faster way to get things done than to have someone handhold you through every step. But the attitude i encounter is one that always assumes that i am the worst kind of lazy newb. The very first paragraph of the forum rules is very unwelcoming to newcomers.
From my perspective it is often very hard to distinguish between "doing your homework" and just going through hours and hours of reading until absolutely no help is needed and NO that IS NOT a positive thing when the problem could have been solved in half an hour with someone bothering to give useful advice. Therefore my tone, if i have to learn everything by myself and anyone knowledgeable enough to help is too condescending and won't help until i've figured everything out on my own anyway, why would i respect them?

No need to worry about the uppity newcomer though, i'm not interested in causing drama on any forums nor looking for ways to annoy moderators, ain't got that much time to waste.

#5524 2016-09-08 12:32:56

drcouzelis
Website

BitterCynic wrote:

The very first paragraph of the forum rules is very unwelcoming to newcomers.

You mean this? Interesting, I don't remember ever reading that before! You're right, it is pretty unwelcoming.

I like you. smile

#5525 2016-09-08 13:06:30

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Probably a natural consequence of all the Hannah Montana folks asking for support in the Arch channels. Going by the amount of threads in the Dustbin area, their amount has hardly dropped as a result; folk like that has no interest in respecting community rules anyway.

You should probably bring this up to the mods directly if you want to change the layout of that thread.

Last edited by Alad (2016-09-08 13:07:38)

Board footer