You are not logged in.

#5626 2016-11-01 05:47:01

basica

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

mczon, rs13885, welcome to the forums.

Arch is definitely the way to learn Linux. I learnt more about Linux in my first few months of using Arch, than what I the many years prior (I think 10ish, I'll have to get around to actually counting exactly how long hehe) using other distros. One thing you'll definitely find valuable with Arch is that once you're comfortable with using it (along with the AUR), you'll find you'll be able to comfortable use other distributions should you ever wish to try them out.

#5627 2016-11-01 11:17:05

drcouzelis
Website

basica wrote:

you'll find you'll be able to comfortable use other distributions should you ever wish to try them out.

...and get super frustrated with them. "GRRRR, this is so EASY in Arch Linux, why is this so HARD in THIS distribution???"

wink

#5628 2016-11-01 15:15:56

mczon

Thanks basica.

I have to say I really enjoy arch so far. Took me a few days to get my server up but I like the wiki and have gotten good help in the forum. And as you say, you learn a lot (as long as you take the time to read the ENTIRE wiki page... not just the first bit smile)
Now time to start setting it up to do the things I want it to do for me.

#5629 2016-11-01 19:29:00

rqsz

Hell everyone.
I just joined archlinux to find someone who will help me get access to my Windows laptop with raid array that died and is not accessible. Of course no backups were made hmm
rqsz

#5630 2016-11-01 21:46:14

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

@rqsz, please note that these forums are not a general support forum, they are for Arch Linux support only. I'm sorry but you will not be able to find the assistance you need here.

#5631 2016-11-02 01:55:31

bootzin

Hello guys (:
I've installed Arch on my computer and I've been fiddling around for about a week whenever I get the time to tweak my system and learn more about it.
I have never used nothing related to linux and even though I've been warned I decided to give Arch a go on my first try, and moreover, I'm going for i3wm since the beginning.
After around a week I still feel completely astonished by amount of information that is available (Started with distro choice, then environment, then I learned about WM, then AUR packages, then a lot of stuff and now I've just discovered that more than different terminal-emulators there are a bunch of different shells as well, which I have no idea what they do, haha), it is so much! But even though it has been really (and I mean it, REALLY) hard to configure everything and figure out how everything works it has become one of my favorite things to do recently, and I just can't stop tweaking every little setting to my liking, wish I had discovered Arch before!

#5632 2016-11-02 07:19:56

FASazib

Hello World!

#5633 2016-11-03 08:36:22

pixater

Hi everyone from Italy!

i decided to learn linux, so i tried a couple of distros until i've read the "Arch Way" which perfectly fit and reflec myself!
thanks for this "piece" of software (and your amazing wiki), watching an os idling at 70Mb is priceless these days

i hope (as a newbie programmer) to contribute to this community as soon as possible

regards, pixater!

#5634 2016-11-04 18:35:27

Texbrew

Welcome, recent fellow newbies.

@bootzin, your post calls to mind being neck deep in a flood of choices and information - good choices and good information. Happy Archery to you.

@pixater, 70Mb used is astonishing, isn't it? I can't compare notes right now while running firefox and a couple other programs, but my Arch systems are very light on resources. Likewise, Happy Archery to you.

tex

#5635 2016-11-05 18:25:42

TechnaCrat

Hey all!

I just finished installing arch on an old netbook, and I'm hoping to enjoy posting every now and again on these forums.

I chose arch because I wanted to really get into details of how my OS works and learn how to manage and tweak the system the way I want. I've been an Ubuntu user for almost 7 years now, but I've avoided the terminal as best as I could and have very little knowledge of how the OS is put together and how what just about every terminal command I run actually does (options, etc.) Another thing that prompted my shift to arch was taking a C++ class a few months ago. I enjoyed it so much I decided to major in software engineering and I wanted to repurpose an old netbook for writing programs.

I chose to install lxde, but aside from that I'm keeping the desktop environment minimal. I am really proud that I was able to get arch installed without any help, so hopefully I don't have to post on here too much for help working in the system.

Glad to be a part of the community.

#5636 2016-11-05 20:08:42

lutherdriggers

Hello!  I just installed arch and I get to learn a lot more about linux this way.  It's what I wanted this time, and arch seemed perfect, with its wiki and rather exclusive (requiring long strings of output from a working arch linux install.  not as easy when it's not in a virtual machine tongue) forum.  I hope it's friendly here! smile

#5637 2016-11-05 23:47:42

sotram

Finally did a proper Arch install after a couple of years on other Arch based distros and trying the various quick installers.

Long live Archlinux!

#5638 2016-11-06 05:52:52

Texbrew

lutherdriggers wrote:

I hope it's friendly here! smile

Oh I think you'll find it friendly enough here. We are, however, expected to do all we can to search out answers on our own before posting a question. This rule isn't unique to Arch Linux Forum; it's common to most forums that I visit.

A very useful search refinement I learned from this forum goes like this:

Type into your favorite search engine

bbs.archlinux: (whatever your trouble or question is)

I've found this method often greatly narrows down the search and can lead directly to the answer I'm looking for.

That's just one tip. Welcome aboard from just another member, and enjoy your Archery.

tex

#5639 2016-11-06 16:49:39

spoonm

Been on Arch since July.

I was on a netinst of Debian Stretch before, and where it used to sit is now called "testing grounds", where I put any distro or OS I want to try. I like the Arch wiki and now and then I find myself using these forums for finding solutions to any sort of problem, which I didn't quite have with Debian.

Not that it broke often or had poor community support, but it just felt very superficial when it came to solving problems, not really letting me learn new things.

Finally decided to join these forums, hope it's cool.

#5640 2016-11-06 18:28:59

Texbrew

spoonm wrote:

Been on Arch since July.

I was on a netinst of Debian Stretch before, (snip).

Finally decided to join these forums, hope it's cool.

I think it's very cool. Glad you joined.

Long time fan of Debian Wheezy, two year fan of Arch Linux. Still use Wheezy, but Arch makes me feel smarter and accomplished.  Probably neither are true, but I think I have a better understanding of how linux works since using Arch.

tex

edit: "makes me feel smarter..."

Last edited by Texbrew (2016-11-08 17:12:18)

#5641 2016-11-07 09:54:06

joanartur

Hello everybody ! smile Greetings from Barcelona, Spain.

Is both a pleasure and a honour being part of this great Arch community.

I have been running GNU/Linux since I was a child (1994), it was Slackware, and was painful and fun as nowadays Arch big_smile

Hope learning a lot of you and share our experiences.

Free your computer !

#5642 2016-11-08 14:08:55

SayCheeseOrDie

Only I can write one topic and 6 posts before discowering "Hello world" thread for newcomers. But at least I have discovered it in this life. That's speedy.

Hi everyone. I'm Andrew from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. I'm not a newcomer to Linux (around 5 years since I've installed my first GNU/Linux distro), but seeing someone like a guy in the post above makes me looking for a diaper. I met Arch when I found a very old ASUS eePC netbook w/3GB's of internal  storage and 512 MB's of RAM and realise that no "modern" "full-featured" etc GNU/Linux distribution fits in here. And then I've tried Arch. And boy, that was awesome. It was so awesome, that I have even changed the OS of my main machine to Arch.
I have tried Many GNU/Linux distributions (including Fedora, Ubuntu, SolusOS, Debian etc), and just installing Arch I've learned about how Linux works more then I've learn with all other distros combined.

So, I just want to thank you, guys, for the work you doing here, and say that I'm honored and proud to be part of this community.

Last edited by SayCheeseOrDie (2016-11-08 14:19:33)

#5643 2016-11-08 17:32:02

Texbrew

Hi joanartur and Andrew, and welcome from "just a another forum member".

Hey Andrew, your comment about running Arch Linux on a low spec laptop makes me wish I had kept an old PC that had only 512Mb RAM and 20 Gb hard drive, just to see how Arch would perform on it. But I can say Arch runs very well on everything I put it on, including another old PC with 1Gb RAM and 40 Gb hard drive.

Hope the weather is nice today in Barcelona and Saint-Petersburg.

tex

#5644 2016-11-08 19:42:01

SayCheeseOrDie

Texbrew wrote:

Hope the weather is nice today in Barcelona and Saint-Petersburg.

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's actually not very good today: so not good, that I was one of passengers pushing bus from behind because it stuck in the snow. Nothing is better then 14-inch snow on the roads. smile

Last edited by SayCheeseOrDie (2016-11-08 19:42:49)

#5645 2016-11-08 21:55:35

Texbrew

Brrrr! About 65F (I think that's <18C), cloudy, occasional sprinkling rain here in North Texas.

Hope you had plenty of help pushing that bus in the snow.

Cheers!

tex

#5646 2016-11-09 16:48:13

kalamity

Hello everyone,
I first heard about Arch about a year ago but never had the time (nor the courage) to try it. After hours of research and lots of reading, I was now able to successfully install Arch. Though I'm I'm still kind of a beginner at using Linux, my goal is to learn using Arch. I have a lot to learn but it'll be worth it in the end.

#5647 2016-11-09 20:01:49

rory4ever

Hello Everyone smile
I am Rory from the Netherlands.
Just new to Arch Linux. I have some basic experience using other Linux distros and try to find my way here.
Well, not much to say any more I guess big_smile
Grtz, Rory

#5648 2016-11-09 21:37:20

Sindarin

Hi from Spain,

I'm Sindarin, new to arch.
I had some ubuntu experience before, but lubuntu failed to me trying to resurrect my fathers XP computer with something lightweight.

Now I'm getting adicted to some linux uses so I'll be active trying to learn how to work with arch,
here is my project to-do list as a starter:

* install arch ----------------------------DONE cool
     * install desktop environment ------DONE DONE
     * un-install Gnome3 lol ---------------DONE cool by November the 20th

* install libreoffice ---------------------DONE cool
     * make the scanner work ------------DONE cool
     * make the printer work --------------DONE cool Nov, the 11th 2016

* skype running ------------------------DONE cool Dec, the 1st 2016
     * share a folder through the router to my laptop ---DONE cool Dec, the 1st 2016

So please lend me an eye to my posts.

Do you think I'll be capable?
Best wishes

Last edited by Sindarin (2016-12-03 20:04:54)

* install arch cool               * install dsk envir. cool
* i've returned to gnome3 cool    * install libreoffice cool
* make the scnn wrk cool  * printer works cool
* skype works cool            * shared folder cool

#5649 2016-11-10 22:36:25

Texbrew

Hi from Texas.

Sindarin wrote:

Hi from Spain,

I'm Sindarin, new to arch.
I had some ubuntu experience before, but lubuntu failed to me trying to resurrect my fathers XP computer with something lightweight.

Now I'm getting adicted to some linux uses so I'll be active trying to learn how to work with arch,
here is my project to-do list as a starter:

* install arch ----------------------------DONE cool
     * install desktop environment ------DONE DONE
     * un-install Gnome3 lol

Openbox is a good choice for a lightweight desktop (my opinion). I have a couple of old, low spec machines that do well with it. There are a number of light desktop/window managers to choose from. I think Xfce is lighter than Gnome, and doesn't require much to configure. Openbox will require some work/wiki reading on your part.

* make the printer work

Cups works well with a lot of printers. New, wireless printers with proprietary drivers can be a challenge. I once downloaded a proprietary driver from Canon Asia (because it isn't available from their US website). Installed the driver in two near-identical laptops running Debian. One succeeded, the other failed (sigh). My lame work around was to send the file to be printed to the other laptop, then to the printer from there. Don't give up, if you are stubborn enough, I think you will find the answer.

* share a folder through the router to my laptop

I like Filezilla for this. Very easy file/folder sharing. You just need the ip address, username, password, port number of the machine you want to upload or download from. Example:

Host: 192.168.1.37    Username: tex    Password: xxxxxx    Port: 22   Quickconnect
                                                                                                                  (button & dropdown)

Filezilla will remember your connections and you can use quickconnect for next time. I know there are plenty of ways to fileshare. This works well for me.

So please lend me an eye to my posts.

Apologies, I scanned your other posts, but didn't have any good advice to add

Do you think I'll be capable?
Best wishes

Absolutely! Have fun!

tex

#5650 2016-11-10 22:52:01

barius

Hello Archlinux world!

I'm not really a newbie to Arch but I am a newbie to this forum ;-)

Arch has been my OS of choice for personal use for several years, ever since I abandoned Ubuntu...  The more I use and learn about Arch, the more I love it. I even bought the T-shirt and wear it regularly to work :-)

So much for the short intro, now to post my first question...

Warm regards from Belgium,
Barius

Board footer