You are not logged in.

#651 2009-09-27 19:30:36

dtg01100

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello folks, made the jump about four days ago.  Been using K/Ubuntu for the past three years but i am loving this now.

#652 2009-09-27 20:14:54

crankyadmin
Website

Hey all....

I'm crankyadmin, I'm a long time Arch linux user but have just joined the forums. But some of you will know me from IRC. In my spare time I port motherboards to Coreboot so feel free to ask me any Coreboot related questions you may have. I am a System Adminstator by profession but also tinker with embedded platform development. Look forward to getting to know you all....

Cheers!

EDIT: All my coreboot development is done on Arch big_smile

Last edited by crankyadmin (2009-09-27 20:17:25)

:: Github :: My AUR :: Coreboot ::

#653 2009-09-27 21:51:49

lordmetroid

Hello everyone, I have tried to use GNU/Linux since 1995 but didn't switch until Ubuntu in 2005, first for my laptop and then later for my dekstop, now I am installing and using Archlinux on my newly purchased server. I was quite unsure what to use for my server, I wanted a simple and unbloated distribution, I had bad experience of Gentoo in 2004, sorry Gentoo, Slackware was cool and all but I finally settled for Archlinux because of the more helpful and resourceful website and the community.

So far I am very pleased with the choice and I can't imagine using any "easy" operating system again.
Linux fulfils all my gaming needs.

Last edited by lordmetroid (2009-09-27 21:52:26)

#654 2009-09-27 22:46:20

SirEdgar2nd

Hello, I am Edgar! I've been using arch for months. I got it around 2008, I am still a bit of a noob though. THe old laptop I used to use had issues, so I Was mostly using windows xp at the time. The time I downloaded it would be around December 27-30th or so. I spent months figuring out why nothing would work! Till I realized I needed to edit the ~/.xinitrc (LOL!). I have probably infuriated many (accidentally of course) with my immense ignorance, but at least I learn some things as I go along. Although I still have bad habits, like reading all the documentation and skipping maybe one whole paragraph that would've solved the issue and not noticing it till hours later just to realize if I calmed down and read BACK I could've solved the issue thats been bugging me with my system. roll

Why did I choose arch? I wanted something that I could build from scratch, and wasn't too 'simple' or 'hides' too much of my system. This is basically my first distro, well, the one I used before this one was debian, but I didn't like debian too much. I don't know why though. The most I learned on debian was nothing. Now that I Used this I feel pretty sure I could've learned something from debian if I tried, but I just didn't really know where to start.  Recently I got a new machine (my laptop finally died), and my linux usage has increased drastically!

So to put it simply: I wanted something to use so I could learn as I went along, and that I could use as a desktop OS without many issues. I also liked what I read in the Archway tongue

Last edited by SirEdgar2nd (2009-09-27 22:46:40)

#655 2009-10-01 01:11:03

ViperChief
Website

Just thought I'd say hi. New to Arch, though not Linux.

Been using Linux for over a decade. Been through countless distros. Tired of how other distros are getting (especially with bloat), so I decided to try out Arch. It reminded me of Slackware, but a little less hassle. I like Arch for a number of reasons.

I installed Arch a little while ago and enjoyed it, but was messing with other things. A couple days ago, I installed it again and I think that, this time, I'll be leaving it on here. Best part, so far? Running KDE and FF and using less than 400MB of RAM. Next, I'll be trying out KDEMod. If that doesn't fit the need, I'll probably just use something lightweight, like Openbox.

Anyway, just saying hi.

#656 2009-10-01 05:27:31

armandrix

Yep another archie newbie...

Hi there, hope to see you soon, i'm liking stay here, Long Live to Arch...

wishing well

Ar

"The world is full of Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams..."

#657 2009-10-01 15:45:01

Gen2ly
Website

ViperChief, glad you're trying Arch linux, a bit confused about the link though. smile

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#658 2009-10-02 05:11:00

SKeaLoT

Long Version:
Let me tell you a story:
You know... I was a happy Ubuntu user, I had a happy desktop with my happy apps, and it worked happily...  but there was something bugging me... It was Ubuntu.
As a guy that tends to go against the trends this could not be right (although using Linux at all is kinda against the trend). So I went back and forth thru every distro I could find... I must've tried at least Fedora (several versions), OpenSUSE, Mandriva (Several versions), all the flavors of Ubuntu, Foresight, and what not... Then I stumbled upon this Wikipedia page about Archlinux. It says (as of Oct 02, 2009):

Default user interface     Bash

Not beign a (complete) newbie anymore, I knew what bash was, I knew it sitted at /bin, and I knew it was a shell. Did I tell you how much I LOVE doing stuff on a black backdrop with ugly white letters on it? (no sarcasm there). It was too tempting. So I got the CD image for NET install and tried it on a virtual machine. It was slow as hell, but I -thankfully- blamed the VM, everything else was flawless. From the "Install, Setup, Setup Xorg, Setup a DM, Setup a DE for Dummies" guide(s) to the system itself and its unique (at least unique compared to the distributions I've tried) feeling of control over what's really going on, to the installer (which is better by FAR than most graphical installers), there was a sensation of completeness, well-done-ness.. call it whatever you want. So I took the big step. What are VMs good for anyway.

Got a x86_64 copy of the image, burnt, put, boot.

Installed using the guide open at all times on my notebook. I ran across LOTS of problems, mainly concerning my "imma linux h4x0r i usd buntu, nao ill skip this part for great justice" attitude. But it was good... you know, you learn by doing, and the more you break (without REALLY screwing things up), the MORE you learn. Period.

Now I got this neat desktop, clean, fast as hell and everything working. 'Cept sound. I don't care. I'll get into that tomorrow, it's late now.

Greetings from Chile, I'm out.

Short Version:
Arch rocks, hello community!

- You crashed my helicopter!
- Verily!

#659 2009-10-02 10:55:05

kupus

Dr.+Nick+Riviera.gif

I kinda like futurama more, but whatever.

Been a linux user for a few years now, pleged my allegiance to a lot distros at different times but never felt comfortable in the long run with any of them. Something was just missing, or there was way to much of something else. I then found Arch (not actually found, I knew about itt and wanted to try it out, but until recently haven't found the time.) and I guess this is what home feels like. The community is awesome, the wikis are magnificent, the feel of the distro itself - everything is just pure win. To paraphrase Bogart and get this little intro over with

Arch Community, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

#660 2009-10-03 15:29:31

Luis Sousa

Hello everyone, Luis Sousa from Portugal saying keep up the good work...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#661 2009-10-04 12:43:43

scheka
Website

Saying hello to the Arch Community!!.... Archlinux ftw ! big_smile

scheka (from Germany)

JabberWiki.de | scheka@jabjab.de

#662 2009-10-04 13:37:27

hexagonlimited
Website

hello! I'm new to archlinux! I hope it would be fast, reliable and stable! thanks!

I love linux don't you?

#663 2009-10-04 17:54:58

fastfret79

Hi Everybody,

I've been using Arch for just over a month now and I absolutely love it! It just feels like a perfect fit for me smile Am I home?

Used Ubuntu for a couple of years, but got bored of Gnome and wanted a far more lightweight system. Also had loads of PPAs just so that I could run the up-to-date versions of the apps I used rather than Ubuntu's slightly behind repos.

Then I found Arch - it made so much more sense to start with a simple base system and add what I wanted rather than trying to strip down another distro to get rid of what I don't need. Plus the rolling release model is exactly what I want. It's not been all plain sailing, but I have learnt so much more in the last month than I think I did in my couple of years with Ubuntu. The wiki is excellent and has been invaluable.

Many thanks to Arch Linux and the community - I hope I can find a way to help and contribute big_smile

#664 2009-10-04 21:09:37

jminiesta

Hi! I'm a Spanish Computer Science student. I have been using linux since one year, mostly ubuntu and ubuntu-based distros. I've always though Arch was the perfect distro, but wasn't able to install Arch, so I have tested a lot of distros... don't know why, cos now I'm quite sure Arch is the one. I love its freedom, its lightweightness, its spirit...

PD: My english is awful, I know that xD.

Last edited by jminiesta (2009-10-04 21:10:25)

#665 2009-10-05 09:42:26

terminhell
Website

Was a buntu 'fanboy' for a while. got tired of its bloat and restrictive/out dated apt. So, here i am.

useradd -m terminhell && pacman -S freedom

#666 2009-10-05 16:58:49

K-radical

Sup guys, just wanted to go ahead and introduce myself.  Archlinux is the first hardcore minimal distro I've tried.  So far I've had a blast configuring and personalizing my system.  Hope to meet some cool peeps here. 

Laterz =P

#667 2009-10-06 07:40:54

drm
Website

Hi

Just installed ArchLinux yesterday and loving it already. Having come from a try-out for FreeBSD at the desktop, and trying some other distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora), this really suits my taste: clean and effective, not to mention I had my desktop running within an hour, installing only the stuff I want \o/. I probably won't be posting a lot on the forum though, as I am more the "I'll figure it out myself" kinda guy, but still like to say greets and hail to the dev team smile

drm / Gerard

#668 2009-10-07 05:44:22

Stromblad

hey guys! Im gong to have to say that of all the linux distros i have tried (ubuntu, linux mint, debian, gentoo, slackware) I cannot think of a more amazing distro...and the community is amazing! thanks for all the help!

#669 2009-10-07 11:07:21

schwa

Hi everyone!
I just switched from Ubuntu to Arch64 on a new machine.
Though I'm not a real Linux newbie, this is the first forum I joined.
Long live Arch (on my computer, too)!

#670 2009-10-11 22:21:14

ominide

Hello all,
New to arch, not so much to linux.
Felt like getting away from ubuntu, on my desktop (old hardware and it came back to life).
Currently a poor grad student >^_^<  so a machine still working is fantastic.
Fairly proficient and not afraid of the command line nor googling tongue

Starting into arch because of an article I read several months ago in linux magazine about it, sounded like what I liked about gentoo with out being gentoo (insert happy dance here).  Nothing against gentoo but I had an issue with it and robots that make me angry with it. 

Other reasons wanted the new KDE environment and native experience with Qt before the N900 comes out ... however not sure that will happen.

#671 2009-10-12 10:03:15

chris_g

Hello everybody,

as of today I'm using Arch for about 2 months, started with GNU/Linux 2 years ago with OpenSUSE 10.3 and everytime I got bored, I installed a new Distribution. My way to Arch was like this: OpenSUSE -> Fedora 10 (only for a few days) -> CentOS 5.2 -> Ubuntu (can't remember the version, but also not longer than a few days) -> Debian 5.0 Lenny -> Debian testing (this time not even more than a day) -> and finally: Archlinux.
I think, I'm going to use Arch for a longer time than the others because during the last months with Arch, it wasn't boring a single day! A lot to configure and to play with, I really like it.

I hope to get along well with everybody here!

Thank you very much for reading.
Bye.

chris

Life is complex: It has real and imaginary parts.

#672 2009-10-13 08:12:20

eagleton

Hello,
just a distrohopper who hopes to actually find a rest with Arch. Im very impressed! One of the advantages of Arch is that you invest a lot more time into installing it and so think twice before switching distros again. smile

#673 2009-10-14 16:09:43

bickman2k

I've been an Arch user for a few months now. I have utilized the forums for suggestions, the IRC channel for quick answers and advice, and am now getting to the point of being able to advise people based on my experience. I previously kept bouncing back and forth between Ubuntu and Windows. I didn't like the 6 month window for major software upgrades (Firefox 3.5 in October?) and in my experience, I've learned quite a bit more about Linux than I did with Ubuntu.

#674 2009-10-14 16:12:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

bickman2k wrote:

...... and in my experience, I've learned quite a bit more about Linux than I did with Ubuntu.

That's the truth !!!

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#675 2009-10-14 19:26:41

keiichi

Hey guys, I'm new to Arch but not new to Linux or computers. Got started with Gnu/Linux a few years ago with Linux Mint, went to Ubuntu for a few releases and decided to go with Arch for my personal needs just a few weeks ago. Good times guys, later.

Board footer