You are not logged in.

#7701 2024-01-30 15:12:35

Yoan

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone, longtime lurker, but it is time to join the community.  Looking forward to learning more and contributing to the Arch Linux community.

I use arch btw...

#7702 2024-01-30 17:58:39

SuperbeeLavaman

Hello Everyone

This is my first time posting anything to the Arch Linux forums, after having used Arch for a while. I got into Arch not knowing anything about how it works. I thought it would be easy. It was not. My existing experience with Ubuntu, Debian, and Chrome OS Developer Mode was enough to not get lost during my first time through the install process, which was on an old Samsung Chromebook 3 that I had been running Ubuntu on. After 8 months of using Arch, I have learned more about how most Linux distros work than I ever learned from Ubuntu.
Additionally I have become the kind of person that tells others to use Arch and Vim.

Superbeelavaman

Usually when I'm browsing forums it's because I had the same problem as someone else had 10 years ago and the same solution still works.

#7703 2024-01-31 05:10:32

cd /

Hi everyone. Recently created a dualboot on my desktop with Arch and Windows 10 and also installed Arch on my laptop. This is actually my first time using Linux (unless you consider Android an exception). Had a rather tumultuous time installing Arch for the first time and had to redo a couple times, but I eventually understood it (the good news is I can now do it with my eyes closed, I've done it so much haha). I primarily decided to use Arch because I wanted a more intimate learning experience with Linux. Currently using it with the linux-lts kernel (zen on my laptop) and KDE Plasma and having a good time using it for productive tasks and gaming as well via Proton. I think I will eventually encounter some issue that even the wiki may not help with, so I decided to make an account here. Perhaps I will become more ingrained in the community over time. Have good day y'all.

call me 'fed' i u like

#7704 2024-02-04 13:39:12

shiwantha-i-rodrigo

hello, been using Linux for some time, after trying many distros, ended up with arch. stuck with it eversince. hope to contibute.

KDE Plasma in my veins.

#7705 2024-02-06 15:38:19

pablosgrobet

Hello, everyone. New to the forum. Somewhat new to Arch. This is the second time I install Arch (not counting VMs), but the first didn't stick, instead I setled with Manjaro for a couple of years. I still have Windows 10, Debian and Ubuntu on other partitions but I'm trying to make Arch my daily driver. I've been tinkering for the past week and a half and I'm at the stage where I can use it for most of my normal workflow, although still a little rough around the edges.
That's all for now.
Cheers.

--> Descentralize all the things <--

#7706 2024-02-06 19:35:27

TechnicalBark59

Hello, everyone. I made the switch to arch about 3 months ago and it has been a wonderful experience. Since this is the first time I've used Linux as my daily driver, there have been times where I didn't know what to do, but the wiki and this forum have always been here for me, so I'm hoping I'll able to contribute to the community that has helped me so many times before. I hope everyone has a great day!

#7707 2024-02-08 17:41:52

feiticeir0

Hello everyone !

Long Gentoo Linux user (15+ years),  1+ year Arch Linux user. And all because my company used L2TP VPN only for Windows and I couldn't make it work on Gentoo. Decided to try Arch (because everyone was comparing both - but they are not the same) and have stick with it ever since. And have the VPN working. smile

#7708 2024-02-10 10:40:05

gehenna14

Hi everyone, I have been using linux on and off since about 2019. Tried many distros, been using Arch for a week or two now.
I'm happy go get to know people here, I might not be that active but in the end I enjoy seeing people help each other, it makes me happy smile

I worry a lot about if I'm making good posts for the forum. I don't want to get a bad rep here (I get very fixated on whether people like me or not, but that's besides the point.) but If i ever sound rude don't take it seriously I am just not very good at communicating sad

please treat me well!

#7709 2024-02-10 15:59:54

josepepito

Hello everyone!

I'm really new into this distribution, so I'm in this firum in order to understand better how arch ans linux work!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Learning

#7710 2024-02-13 11:31:14

yxcv

From DOS to winDOS :) SuSE and DEbian, now on zigzag and landing here at wiki :->
See u later.

Was du ererbt von deinen Vätern,
erwirb es, um es zu besitzen

#7711 2024-02-14 08:13:05

yxcv

If to wish to change e.g. language first you should change keyboardlayout - so you can use wikimedia. Best you get a *svg to fitting to a paper of your printer with inkscape. Afterwards you can download a usefull version of archlinux and write it to a USB-stick, connecting to internet is much easier than call it with AQEMU. With that rebooting isn't necessary too often.
Using the stick again it is nice to have a pointer, switch to it!
systemctl restart gpm
c&p is possible now
echo LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 > /etc/locale.conf
echo KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys > /etc/vconsole.conf
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
you may do that without the printed US-console and without gpm.

Last edited by yxcv (2024-02-14 08:14:22)

#7712 2024-02-15 20:42:11

onemyndseye
Banned

Logged in as onemyndseye Last visit: 2010-08-20 19:18:18

Been gone quite awhile but immmmm back and thought Id reintroduce myself    Have new hardware that Arch worked out of the box for so I plan to stay awhile!  Arch has been home for me on and off over the years and its nice to be back on this platform! I have over 3 decades of Linux experience and I am a self proclaimed Bash ninja!   I look forward to meeting everyone here and doing what I can to help out!    Thanks to you all for making this community such a awesome place smile

Last edited by onemyndseye (2024-02-15 20:42:23)

#7713 2024-02-15 23:10:15

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome back. smile

Mod note: merging with the hello everybody topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#7714 2024-02-16 18:44:59

R4vyn

Hello fellow 'arch'-itects! I hope you find happiness in whatever endeavor you pursue!

I am an extremely introverted individual, so needless to say, I have few people to speak with IRL, let alone in cyberspace, about my passion for Linux in general, specifically Arch. Thus, I have undertaken the task of installing Arch quite a few times, on quite a few different arrangements of hardware. I even wrote myself a little cheatsheet CLI installation guide. I used the Linux Zen kernel, XFCE (Always) and have moved from HDD to NVMe SSDs for my primary storage medium. Instead of BTRFS or ext4, I've tried out the F2FS in hopes that I could see the difference. Keeping in mind that actually assembling an OS like what is done with vanilla Arch has afforded my curiosity the exposure to these different filesystems. Because of my first successful build of Arch, I have been hooked ever since. I've used several Linux flavors, starting with Xubuntu. (which got me hooked on XFCE) OpenSUSE, Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, as well as a little dabbling in Open, Free, and Dragonfly BSD. Even with the exposure to these flavors and distros, I still have a rudimentary understanding and command of Linux in general. I'm always learning and always happy to learn. So, all that to say, I am excited to join the forum and I will have plenty of questions to post sooner than later. Nice to meet you all!

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."                                                                                                                       ~Bruce Lee

MOBO: (Asrock Taichi x670e) CPU: (Ryzen 9 7900X3D) RAM: (TCreate DDR5 PC5-48000) GPU: (XFX RX-7700XTX)

#7715 2024-02-20 01:27:29

arthyflax

Hello there!

I'm Matthias from Germany. I initially used ubuntu because of shitty hardware then switched to windows once I got better hardware. Windows however has proven to be reliably unreliable. Coupled with the desire for more freedom and control over my own hardware, this is what pushed me back to linux. There I felt lost in the expansive ocean of options and distros. Ubuntu and it's derivatives were out of the question because I was trying to flee this exact corporate control over an operating system. So I thought I give this ominous "expert" distro a try... I had to go through a couple of installations to get everything just right, and then spent an additional 2 months fine-tuning the configuration to suit my preferences. Now, 6 months post-installation, I'm still seamlessly operating with the same installation.
But this is only possible because of the ArchWiki, the forum, and the awesome Arch community. 

So, thanks to everyone who helps out and answers questions. smile

#7716 2024-02-20 09:11:49

yxcv

Wurde korrigiert

Last edited by yxcv (2024-02-21 15:42:08)

#7717 2024-02-21 10:46:23

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

yxcv wrote:

Archlinux isn't awesome to me, especially because of ArchWiki. I am blocked there for 20 years by Dirk. So I'm fighting alone without any help, only with my pesonal experience. This seems hard and it is hard. Nevertheless I'll succeed of course :-)

Are you referring to the German Wiki?
I don't know any Dirk who administers the official English Wiki here.
If the former is the case, you're in the wrong place to complain anyways and you should address the German Arch Linux community over at forum.archlinux.de.

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#7718 2024-02-21 16:46:16

ewaller
Administrator

schard wrote:
yxcv wrote:

Archlinux isn't awesome to me, especially because of ArchWiki. I am blocked there for 20 years by Dirk. So I'm fighting alone without any help, only with my pesonal experience. This seems hard and it is hard. Nevertheless I'll succeed of course :-)

Are you referring to the German Wiki?
I don't know any Dirk who administers the official English Wiki here.
If the former is the case, you're in the wrong place to complain anyways and you should address the German Arch Linux community over at forum.archlinux.de.

BTW, I spent about 20 minutes of my time looking into this yesterday.  There were no bans on this end and very little evidence of duplicate accounts.  If there is a problem here, contact a moderator.

Last edited by ewaller (2024-02-21 16:46:35)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7719 2024-02-21 17:15:09

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

yxcv wrote:

Wurde korrigiert

EN: "corrected"
Please also refrain from posting in German outside of the "Other Languages" subforum, as this is the second time you've done this. Only few people here will understand what you've written.

#7720 2024-02-21 17:29:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Only semi-related note, but I just checked the German translation linked from the official installation guide, and it seems quite limited.  It is *much* shorter than the English version and seems to provide only a very broad overview which would likely be insufficient for a new user to follow.  This surprised me as I believe there are ample German archers to have a quality translation for such an important page.

Although this doesn't account for the fact that one can express nearly the equivalent of an English paragraph with a single word in German.

Last edited by Trilby (2024-02-21 17:30:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7721 2024-02-21 19:40:30

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

I would assume that the majority of native German speaking Arch users speak English fluently as a second language and hence exclusively use and contribute to the far better maintained English documentation sources.

Last edited by schard (2024-02-21 19:41:28)

#7722 2024-02-21 21:23:37

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Trilby wrote:

Only semi-related note, but I just checked the German translation linked from the official installation guide, and it seems quite limited.  It is *much* shorter than the English version and seems to provide only a very broad overview which would likely be insufficient for a new user to follow.  This surprised me as I believe there are ample German archers to have a quality translation for such an important page.

Although this doesn't account for the fact that one can express nearly the equivalent of an English paragraph with a single word in German.

The issue is that the German wiki has no real equivalent of the English installation guide. It is either the short-form document you mentioned, or a "beginners' guide" that puts the installation guide and general recommendations in one document.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#7723 2024-02-22 21:26:52

Drayff
Website

Hello!

I'm Drayff, also known as Andrew. I'm a newcomer to Arch Linux! Previously, I used Debian for about 2-3 months, but I wanted something more interesting. A friend recommended that I try Arch Linux. At first, it was challenging to get used to pacman, and I used to type commands like:

• pacman install ..

• apt -S ...

• apt install ...

Now, I've been using Arch Linux for about 3 months and have gotten used to its features. Here's a screenshot of neofetch:
2024-02-22-23-21-54.png

Last edited by Drayff (2024-02-22 21:33:29)

I use Arch btw.

#7724 2024-02-25 22:19:54

iserod

It has just started. Hello world!

#7725 2024-02-27 12:43:13

cuikho210

Hi everyone ^^
I've been exploring Arch-based distributions like Manjaro and EndeavourOS for a while, but I recently made the switch to Arch last month. I'm excited to join this forum and learn from the experienced users here. I'm drawn to Arch's flexibility and the vastness of the AUR. I'm looking forward to customizing my system and contributing to the community as I learn more.
Nice to meet you all

Board footer