You are not logged in.

#2326 2012-03-28 20:23:14

Pacopag

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

20 hours on the beginner's guide?  I hope you got some sleep in there.  Keep at it.  It's worth it.  Good luck.

#2327 2012-03-29 17:13:48

J5mith

Hi guys,
I switched several times between different distros, before I came here, but no one of them could really fit my taste. The simplicity and rolling release model of Arch always sounded very sexy for me, but I was too afraid of possible difficulties I couldn't solve during the installation and configuration of an Arch system. But now (after investing a lot of hours) I know much more about Linux than I ever did before, running Arch on all of my PCs and it is working better than any other operating system before. Even the installation does not take that longer compared to other Distros if you know what to do. So thank you for the great work that was done by creating Arch Linux and thanks to the people that wrote pretty much the best Distro Wiki on this planet.

Last edited by J5mith (2012-03-29 17:17:22)

#2328 2012-03-29 18:12:36

ronmon

Hi there,

I've been running Gentoo for the last ten years and several other distros in the five before that, starting with SuSE. About a year ago I bought a new laptop and didn't feel like going through whole build-from-scratch thing, so I decided to give Arch a try.

I have liked it so much that a couple days ago I converted my main desktop machine to Arch and I'm damned glad I did. It's just as configurable and a lot less hassle keeping it up-to-date.

Thanks to all the devs who do such good work. See you all around the forums.

Cheers,
Ron

#2329 2012-03-30 08:45:21

chamber

Hello.  Have been looking to make the move to Arch for a while now and finally had the opportunity when I got my spare laptop back from a relative.  Love the Arch/Openbox combination as I am a minimalist at heart.  It also satisfies my need for tinkering and fixing.

meh

#2330 2012-03-30 19:38:22

avrelaun

Hi everyone,

I've been using arch for more than a year now, and I love it.
I tried a lot of GNU/Linux distributions, but at the end, only rolling releases seemed legitimate to me and the KISS philosophy made arch an easy winner.

So I thought to myself: "Since I like so much this distro and don't see myself switching anytime soon, I should probably engage with the arch community!"
And there I am, registering to this forum.

#2331 2012-03-31 14:04:30

sevenfourk

Back to Arch after 3 or 4 years of another distribution experience.  The installation is smooth, SIMPLE and very fast as always.  Glad, that Arch stays the way it meant to be created.  Cheers to developers.

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

#2332 2012-03-31 19:23:58

earsplit
Website

Hey guys... I'm a computer engineering student, been lurking for a while.  I joined cuz I've got some AwesomeWM questions and you guys seem to be the gurus =]

Thanks to all who contribute to this great distro

((( configs :: website )))

#2333 2012-04-01 19:44:02

straightback

hello-
This is straightback testing to see if I can learn how to post.
If I understand correctly I am posting a reply in
The Official Hello Everyone Thread
  I assume it's possible to post to different topics in the Newbie Corner.
I every post either a reply  in a given topic or a post to a new topic?
Is there anyplace that has a posting FAQ or similar?
Thanks in advance.
straightback

#2334 2012-04-01 20:58:31

/dev/zero

straightback wrote:

hello-
This is straightback testing to see if I can learn how to post.
If I understand correctly I am posting a reply in
The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Yes, welcome to the Arch Linux forums.

straightback wrote:

I assume it's possible to post to different topics in the Newbie Corner.
I every post either a reply  in a given topic or a post to a new topic?

If you have a problem with Arch Linux, the first thing you should do is try to fix it by yourself. We encourage people to tinker with their computer and do some independent research before starting a new topic.

However, if you have tried really hard to solve a problem by yourself, and you really cannot figure out how to fix it, then yes, you can start a new topic.

If you see an existing thread, and you think you can help, then go ahead and post a reply, and it will become part of the existing thread.

straightback wrote:

Is there anyplace that has a posting FAQ or similar?

I think this is what you mean:

Forum Rules

#2335 2012-04-02 06:11:51

Zapman

Hi, This normally should be my first post but something came up so i posted at help section lol. Well i came from pure redhat and the last 6 years debian was my main choice. all these years i head about arch linux, about simplicity,transparency, speed and stuff. I decided give it a try because i am a bit fed up with the long list of dependencies required each time i installed something. To my surprise arch is much faster and robust and i can say that till now it has very few dependencies for etch package i needed. AUR is wonderful and the forums too someone already answered my question. Well im gonna stay wink

#2336 2012-04-03 04:55:13

deltaforce

Hi, everyone!
I am a newer to Arch, but I have fallen in love with her after I met her. I hope I can learn many things in the community. I will take a exam one yeah later. And I wish I can get the opportunity to enter the higher colleges.
Thank you!
Good luck everyday, everyone!

#2337 2012-04-03 06:32:37

illusionist

Hello board members,
i am not new to arch using it for a long time but registered today here.
Arch is the best ever distribution i used. Rolling system is just awesome. I hope our community grows everyday. smile

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#2338 2012-04-03 23:48:38

jan.path

Hello everyone,
I am Jan, I'm from Germany and 17 years old.
I installed Arch Linux a few days ago and I needed the Google Translater to build this sentence wink

#2339 2012-04-05 14:08:21

zither

Hello Folks!

I'm a new user for Arch.
I used linux from 2000 (started with Mandrake 6.1 witch was attached to a famous PC magazin in my country, and continued others like SuSE, PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu), and I using only linux in my work place.
I wanted a new desktop system from the beginning of the year, becouse my old distro has financial and development problems (your guess is right:  it's Mandriva), and Arch is the successor candidate. I using Arch since a month and my experience is very good.
The advantages what I experienced: fast boot, fast gui reactions, and no wasted resources. Also it's seems that this distro has the best kde experience, because kde can get full access to all configuration and resources (no lower level daemons or other configuration tools to block the functionality of kde like other distros).
Sorry for my bad English, but the first post ask for longer reply.

#2340 2012-04-07 13:17:08

ntaloventi
Website

Hello everyone (Master, Developer, user & archie newborn)

finaly i'm joining the arch forum, this is my first time post....
I ussualy use Micro*** in my office but need more skills to use archlinux...
2 weeks using arch makes me much2 learn....
please help if i'm in stuck mode = on
i get this distro from friends, and everyday curious to find how to using arch...

greet to everyone,
Iqbal a.k.a ntaloventi

#2341 2012-04-07 14:32:28

Carl Lafong

Salve!

I am a first year college student, three year Ubuntu user.  I have grown frustrated with the amount of time a wasted on on new release cycles and toying with different interfaces.  I have come to appreciate the transparency of an operating system as well as seeing it as a means to an end rather then a toy for a hobbiest.    It is no wonder therefore that Arch has become my distro of choice.  I greatly appreciate what you guys do.   

Cheers

#2342 2012-04-08 16:30:00

R09UE-RAVEN

Hello,

I live in the United States and have been using Arch for a couple months now. Been keeping it contained in a virtual box so far but eventually I want to install it on my laptop as my default OS. I absolutely love this distro because of its minimalism and transparency. I never thought a computer could be this efficient or personalized until I discovered Arch. Currently trying to decide what windows manager I'm going to side with - been test driving fluxbox and xmonad. Hopefully this forum will help!

#2343 2012-04-08 23:08:26

SlowMutant

I Am A Lurker, But That's OK

Have been using arch quite a while. Chose it to extend my Linux knowledge. I don't really need it to get my stuff done - to the contrary: customizing my arch eats more and more of my time - but it's fun so far.

Thx for this great distro!

Nothing 'real' is solid.

#2344 2012-04-10 14:02:01

es20641
Website

Hi everyone!

My name is Eric, I'm a software engineer and Linux enthusiast from Kansas City, MO in the U.S.
I just installed Arch Linux for the second time on my lappy. After Ubuntu switched to Unity, I've been hopping from distro to distro trying to find the perfect one for my needs. I finally found that in Arch. It is so nice to have a distro that can be tweaked to fit your needs perfectly.
I'd like to get involved on the forums and hopefully the Arch Linux project too.

#2345 2012-04-10 18:54:06

iAmAhab

Hello

I've been using linux on and off for some years(mainly ubuntu), and decided to try out Arch a couple of days ago. My knowledge of linux is quite limited and Arch seemed like a fun way to learn.
I've finaly put together a working system and it's been fun and downright frustrating at times due to lack of knowledge on my part. Thankfully the Wiki and forums where loaded with all the info I needed.
Getting vmware workstation working was a bitch though, but I got it running with a bit of luck(i'm dependent on windows for school).
So far I'm running stock xfce4, no DM and non kind of automated wireless connection, but I guess I'll get around to it if I feel the need.
I'm very pleased and look forward to start customization of the system, even though I don't really have any special needs.

Last edited by iAmAhab (2012-04-10 18:54:33)

#2346 2012-04-10 18:57:31

es20641
Website

iAmAhab wrote:

Hello

I've been using linux on and off for some years(mainly ubuntu), and decided to try out Arch a couple of days ago. My knowledge of linux is quite limited and Arch seemed like a fun way to learn.
I've finaly put together a working system and it's been fun and downright frustrating at times due to lack of knowledge on my part. Thankfully the Wiki and forums where loaded with all the info I needed.
Getting vmware workstation working was a bitch though, but I got it running with a bit of luck(i'm dependent on windows for school).
So far I'm running stock xfce4, no DM and non kind of automated wireless connection, but I guess I'll get around to it if I feel the need.
I'm very pleased and look forward to start customization of the system, even though I don't really have any special needs.

Hello iAmAhab!

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy Arch. It's a great distro to try and learn more advanced techniques from.

Last edited by es20641 (2012-04-10 19:28:00)

#2347 2012-04-11 17:15:06

Amnesya

Hi everyone,
been using Arch for a year now, mostly lurking around, but finally I reactivated my forum account and decided to help the fantastic arch-community thrive even more!
big_smile

Amnesya An insanely, difficult riddle...

#2348 2012-04-11 18:39:44

es20641
Website

Amnesya wrote:

Hi everyone,
been using Arch for a year now, mostly lurking around, but finally I reactivated my forum account and decided to help the fantastic arch-community thrive even more!
big_smile

Welcome Amnesya, I hope you enjoy your stay big_smile

#2349 2012-04-11 20:14:37

goldegard

Hi everybody,
I've installed Arch one year ago and I'll never come back!
Hope to be helpfull and finding help if needed!

He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither (Benjamin Franklin)

#2350 2012-04-11 20:17:11

tancrackers

Hello everyone, I've been using linux for almost 2 years now. I've run a consistent dual-boot between Windows and Ubuntu for a while now. I had Kubuntu for a few months, returned to Ubuntu (I liked Unity), and moved onto opensuse when I realized how much I liked KDE. So, I installed Arch (dual-booting with Windows 7) about 3-4 days ago for a few reasons, mainly because it is a rolling release. I HATED having to upgrade or reinstall every so months. I tried to install Arch months ago and was very happy to actually have a desktop! Too bad I had no wireless whatsoever. I returned to Ubuntu. With my next attempt, I failed to understand the Arch partitioner so I wiped away windows. The next day I got a perfect dual boot going which I current have. I ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO DO STUFF!!
Seriously, I am SO happy I actually installed Arch, just because. But to my surprise, my programs and desktop feel significantly more stable, faster, and bug-free. I installed some AUR packages and have used the Arch Wiki. The wiki is absolutely fantastic. I also did my full system upgrade using pacman. So far so good!
Note: What finally drove me from opensuse was this strange bug where the panels (no matter what DE) would freeze and become unclickable. Not on Arch!
I have tried just about every major distro from Debian to Mint to an absolute failure of a Gentoo install (I got to downloading the source and gave up). I am glad to be on the Arch train!

Block ads forever! http://adblockplus.org/en/

Board footer