You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-29 17:56:17

sweiss

Xorg losing touch with mouse/keyboard

Hello.
This is a frustrating situation - I am more often than not required to reboot my machine because X all of a sudden starts to lose touch with the mouse and keyboard, making it impossible for me to interact with things, and I can't even use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

I've no idea if this is a Xorg issue or a kernel one. Usually I lose touch with one input device and after a minute or to the other one also stops responding.

I'm using these packages:
xorg-server 1.2.0-5
kernel26 2.6.20.7-2
nvidia 1.0.9755-1

Has anyone any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

#2 2007-04-29 18:12:40

test1000

Re: Xorg losing touch with mouse/keyboard

some devices in /dev/input/ might change their name/position.

How have you deifned the devices in xorg.conf?

i have it like this but i'm aware that there are other ways:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbVariant" ",qwerty"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "no"
EndSection

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#3 2007-04-29 18:40:08

sweiss

This is what I have:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier     "Keyboard1"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us,il"
    Option         "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier     "Mouse1"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option         "Buttons" "7"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Resolution" "300"
EndSection

#4 2007-04-29 18:52:23

test1000

try to not list your mouse specifically. "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 2007-04-29 19:07:55

sweiss

I'll try, but my keyboard is also dropped soon after.

#6 2007-05-04 09:36:50

sweiss

I just had the same issue again.

Any other ideas you may have?

#7 2007-05-04 11:34:25

test1000

umm make an udev rule that always create the mouse/keyboard device in the same place and then use evdev in xorg.conf?

#8 2007-05-04 17:03:09

sweiss

Any tips on how to do so? I don't quite know how to use udev.

#9 2007-05-05 16:38:59

test1000

i feared you were going to say that tongue

on further reading of your prob i realise i had this exact issue myself too when i had an ati card with the fglrx drivers... but they fixed that issue... maybe it's now in the newest nvidia drivers?

Try downgrading... googling.. or else i don't know.

#10 2007-07-29 00:56:44

soloport

Have the same issue.  The mouse seems to work just fine.  But the keyboard is strange.  It will work for hours; Sometimes days.  Then suddenly it has a problem that persists.  If I hold down a key (repeat) X eventually picks it up, after 3 seconds.  But at that rate it becomes very slow to do anything, and some key combinations (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) just don't work.  Very frustrating.

I can start a new X session (KDE's K-menu, via mouse clicks) and the keyboard will work perfectly in the new session.  If I go back to the old session (Ctrl-Alt-F7), the keyboard problem returns.  Very strange.

Was rebooting (hard reset), but my workaround solution is now: Start a new session; Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a new shell; Restart X.  Woohoo!

Would love to solve this one.  Have been updating daily, hoping it will just go away, some day.  Next time it happens -- again, it could be days -- what should I try / look for?

#11 2007-07-29 03:27:40

kishd

I have had similar problems. My keyboard and mouse would disappear. I thought it was just dodgy hardware. However I found that if  I unplugged my keyboard and mouse and re-inserted them the keyboard and mouse would be recognized again.

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#12 2007-07-29 18:16:50

soloport

kishd wrote:

I have had similar problems. My keyboard and mouse would disappear. I thought it was just dodgy hardware. However I found that if  I unplugged my keyboard and mouse and re-inserted them the keyboard and mouse would be recognized again.

This was the first thing I tried.  Also have tried several keyboards and mice while the problem is present.  However, the keyboard issue persists.  It's strange to see one X session not work and another that works, side by side (Ctrl-Alt-F7, Ctrl-Alt-F8).  I suppose this should be a clue.  Have also tried using "nvidia" vs "nv" drivers -- keyboard problem still returns.

Am currently trying to substitute applications (was using xmms, now using noatune) to see if it may be application related.  Who knows...

Last edited by soloport (2007-07-29 18:19:21)

Board footer