You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-05 22:14:32

ak-87

Kernel panic after kernel upgrade?

After latest kernel upgrade on boot I get next message :

Kernel panic - Not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)

Boot manager is lilo and beside Arch I have Zenwalk installed recently. I didn`t know how to set up lilo to boot properly another Linux, so I have copied Arch`s kernel26.img and vmlinuz26 to Zenwalk`s /boot and added next lines to lilo.conf:

image = /boot/vmlinuz26-arch
    root = /dev/sda5
    label = Arch
    initrd = /boot/kernel26-arch.img
    read-only

Because this is first upgrade after Zenwalk and lilo installation, I don`t know if the kernel panic is because of lilo or kernel package. I`ve read other kernel panic topics, but nothing helped. Even tried with fallback. Anyone?

Last edited by ak-87 (2007-05-05 22:14:51)

#2 2007-05-05 22:24:14

rayjgu3

Re: Kernel panic after kernel upgrade?

ak-87 wrote:

After latest kernel upgrade on boot I get next message :

Kernel panic - Not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)

Boot manager is lilo and beside Arch I have Zenwalk installed recently. I didn`t know how to set up lilo to boot properly another Linux, so I have copied Arch`s kernel26.img and vmlinuz26 to Zenwalk`s /boot and added next lines to lilo.conf:

image = /boot/vmlinuz26-arch
    root = /dev/sda5
    label = Arch
    initrd = /boot/kernel26-arch.img
    read-only

Because this is first upgrade after Zenwalk and lilo installation, I don`t know if the kernel panic is because of lilo or kernel package. I`ve read other kernel panic topics, but nothing helped. Even tried with fallback. Anyone?

are you able to boot into system via install cd?
if you are you could setup grub its easy to set it to boot multiple distros with grub

but if you really want lilo then id say recopy /boot to which ever one controls lilo then rerun lilo

#3 2007-05-05 22:31:20

ak-87

Re: Kernel panic after kernel upgrade?

Thank You very much! I`ve recopied /boot, but forgot to rerun lilo. Now it is working just fine...

Board footer