You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-17 08:19:14

tehdely
Website

Alright, here's the deal with vmware, folks

A couple things people don't seem to understand (or have been misled about)

1) You do not need to patch vmware-config.pl
2) You do not need to run runme.pl to get working modules or download that vmware-any-any claptrap.  All you need is the vmware installer, straight from vmware.  No modifications necessary.
3) Do not, under any circumstances, run mkvmnet before trying to build your modules.  They will fail under mysterious circumstances (unknown symbol, error -1 from insmod) if you do.
4) mkvmnet only half works.  Vmware expects a real /dev file system (not that crappy old devfs), and you'll find that everything works better when you ditch devfs and use a real man's /dev :twisted: , like they did in the old days before them new kids were using "daemons" and "virtual filesystems" and other atrocities before god.

Here's how to install vmware.

mkdir /etc/rc.fake
cd /etc/rc.fake
for a in `seq 0 6`; do mkdir rc$a.d; done
cd /wherever/you/download/stuff
tar zxvf VMware-workstation-etc.etc...tar.gz
cd vmware-distrib
./vmware-install.pl

When it asks for the directory where rc0.d through rc6.d is, point it to /etc/rc.fake

When it asks for your init scripts directory, point it to /etc/rc.d

When it asks if you want to run vmware-config.pl and build yourself some modules, say YES.

Then rm -rf /etc/rc.fake (you don't need it anymore)
Add vmware to the daemons line in rc.conf
And maybe add that half-working mkvmnet script in there before it, but I found that it never worked properly, which leads us to the real solution:

ABANDON DEVFS.  IT IS DEPRECATED AND CRAPPY.

And then install vmware, and forget about mkvmnet.  It will work nice and happily, as it does on my:

Linux Diwanda 2.6.5-rc1-mm1 #2 Tue Mar 16 21:05:48 CST 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

You can be a pioneer and experiment with udev.  That's cool, happy hacking.  You can use a classic /dev layout, which, though unwieldy, works.  Or you can use devfs and suffer.

The choice is yours.

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#2 2004-03-17 13:40:03

whol

Re: Alright, here's the deal with vmware, folks

Hi tehdely,

Thanks for the awesome post.  How does one "ABANDON DEVFS" ?  Is that the new naming scheme for devices, suchas /dev/discs/disc0/part1 instead od /dev/hda1?  I thought that was simply "the new way of doing things".

I'll google this after work, but I thought I'd through out the question, in case the answer might not be an obvious one.

THX

#3 2004-03-17 15:51:14

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I got it working with devfs.  Just don't create any of the vmmon devices, you still need to create the vmnet devices.

Just because a third party's drivers don't fully work with devfs doesn't mean it's devfs's fault.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-03-17 23:04:28

whol

Xentac,

So you are using the mkvnet script with the two lines relating to vmmon disabled?  Are you running this script as Santos suggested (inside rc.conf) or are you running it manually?

I tried running mkvnet manually after putting #'s in front of the two vmmon lines.  Then I started vmware, and it still complained that "The network bridge on device /dev/vmnet0 is not running.  The virtual machine will not be able to communicate with the host or with other computers on the network."

How did you specify vmware in your rc.conf - you mean by adding "s90vmware"?

Can you explain how you got it to work step-by-step?

thx!

#5 2004-03-20 05:56:46

intrinsic

i don't get it.
what's the big deal with devfs i still use it and vmware works flawlessly.
and what's this to do with a script? not needed.
why not jus use /etc/devfsd.conf to make the devs.

REGISTER        .*              MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      .*              RMOLDCOMPAT
LOOKUP        ^vmnet([0-9])$    EXECUTE mknod /dev/vmnet1 c 119 1

#6 2004-03-20 07:14:31

sarah31
Website

devfs is actually being developed again so the only thing depreciated is a static /dev tree. if you don't know devfs then you'll hardly be prepared for the ensuing udev or its progeny.

the only thing depreciated is a static /dev tree and those developers software who still program for such a glacial era.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer