You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-07 14:33:43

mata_svada

udev rules not applied during bootup

I don't know if this problem is associated with the lates kernel-upgrade to 2.6.21 but I didn't have it before.

My problem:
I have an external USB-harddrive that gets mounted everytime I boot because it is listed in my fstab. To avoid confusion with other external storages (such as USB-sticks etc.) I worte an udev rule for it:

# Externe USB-Festplatte von TrekStor
BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd?1" SYSFS{serial}=="307541703010",SYMLINK+="externe"

As I've said this worked well before but now I get a message during the booting process saying that /dev/externe couldn't be found. But it actually IS recognised by udev. I just have to do a

mount -a

after the booting process and everything works again.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? It seems to me that all the devices listed in fstab get mounted before the udev rules are applied.

#2 2007-05-18 17:50:50

mata_svada

Re: udev rules not applied during bootup

It seems like it's not the udev-rule which causes the problem. Even when disabling it and mounting it without an alias (/dev/sdb1) it doesn't get mounted during the boot process but mount -a
afterwards works. So I guess the problem is the USB-HD isn't recognised before /etc/fstab is applied but is afterwards. Any hints?

#3 2007-05-21 05:10:42

mata_svada

Re: udev rules not applied during bootup

Ok, I solved my problem: I'm not mounting my USB-HD through fstab anymore. I'm using udev-rules as described here.

Still I'd be interesting to know what went wrong.

Last edited by mata_svada (2007-05-21 05:11:06)

Board footer