You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-10 01:08:48

cmlr

Wiki changes: installation

There have been recent changes which should be reflected in the Wiki.

1.  Since the main server has been throttled back, installation instructions should tell users to switch to a mirror.
  a.  Beginner's Guide:  contains this information
  b.  Official Installation Guide:  says nothing about it
  c.  Voodoo Installation Guide linked to the main Arch page:  says nothing about it.

2.  Until Pacman 3 is in the latest ISO, people installing a new system need to be told that "pacman -Syu" will fail, and what to do about it.  None of the 3 guides above contain this information.

New users are easily discouraged, I should know, I was one until recently.

Carl

#2 2007-05-10 03:01:29

dolby

Re: Wiki changes: installation

as for no.1 u could have edited the wiki yourself other than posting about it here

& as for no.2 even ppl who are about to install and join the community should read the news & imho. i know i did read most parts of the wiki , visited the forum and read many of the news before i did & i think thats the way to go.
after all new isos will be probably available soon containing pacman 3. until then exect to see multipe posts about errors in paman here and some flooding of the irc channel by ppl who didnt act as above

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-05-10 10:39:07

cmlr

Re: Wiki changes: installation

Actually, the official installation guide and the Voodoo installation guide linked to the main page are not editable.

As for the Pacman issue, you're right, Aaron has stated that a new ISO will be out shortly.

Board footer