You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-13 12:10:47

batistuta

how do I install EVMS (or lvm with /root)

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to Archlnux, coming from a 3-year experience with Gentoo. I love Gentoo, but decided to try something binary so here I am smile

I've quickly realized what will be my contribution to Arch. As I learn stuff, I hope to find time to contribute to the docs, which I think could get some help. But before that, I need to know what to write in there. So here is my question:

I would like to setup either EVMS or lvm2 with root in the logical volume. The problem is that I'm not familiar with how Arch handles the initrd or how to create one with lvm2 (and fbsplash) support. I've read some posts about a program mkinitcpio, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go. Are there any docs on this? As I haven't decided for EVMS or LVM, it would be cool to know the general approach to both. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2007-05-14 07:34:59

FUBAR
Website

Re: how do I install EVMS (or lvm with /root)

During setup you have to configure what support you need in your initrd. If you put /boot on a normal non-RAID non-LVM partition, you can have the rest on LVM/RAID. Just keep your eyes open during installation, more specifically during "Install kernel".

Creating the volumes themselves can be done using the fdisk, mkfs.* and lvm commands as described in the wiki.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2007-05-14 11:05:46

klixon

To be slightly more specific:

when editing /etc/mkinitcpio.conf make sure HOOKS looks something like this:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect <ide|pata|sata|scsi> lvm2 filesystem"

Note the lvm2 (following the hooks for your ide/pata/sata/scsi controller...)

If you do this during the install-fase, before the kernel gets installed (which usualy happens, because the step to edit config files happens before the kernel-install step wink ) your all set.

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#4 2007-05-18 11:14:30

batistuta

Thank you guys, I've already backup up my old system and prepared my lvm volumes. This weekend I will go for the install. The only thing that I'm still a bit confused is how to specify my lvm.conf and mdadm.conf file. Are these prompted during the install? The lvm2create_initrd script from the LVM sources accept specifying the configuration files before creating the initrd. How is this handled by Arch?

#5 2007-05-18 18:53:54

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Have you looked at the wiki page?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lvm

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2007-05-19 12:26:56

klixon

This will probably help as well, i guess...
It explains how arch creates its initramfs and how you control it

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#7 2007-05-19 20:55:20

batistuta

Mr.Elendig, I did look into the wiki, but it didn't cover the case of having root on lvm, which is what I want (in order to create a snapshot for backup). So no lvm root=no initrd required, which is my problem

klixon, I did look into that wiki, and the first time I've read it I've missed the options FILES and BINARIES. I think that is what I'm looking for: a way to add my /etc/mdadm.conf and /etc/lvm/lvm.conf so I think I'm on the right track. The wiki for RAID and LVM is quite good, but there is no wiki covering an installation on RAID with root on lvm. I think I'm on track now, so I will try to get this working and update the wiki. Thank you guys for the help, it helped a lot.

Board footer