You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-15 20:34:55

atomclock

RAID help / Question

I have a dual boot system windows / Arch.  These installs share a raid array using an ICH8R on an Asus P5B-Delux.

The windows RAID uses the ICH8R to build and manage the RAID array and under Linux, I use mdadm.

/dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 = /dev/md0
/dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 = ICH8R array under windows
/dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 = The RAID array I want to access under windows and Linux.

Now the question.  I have a large 200GB partition setup as RAID1 to backup important information.  I setup the partition under windows and I would like to access it under Linux.  I tried using dmraid but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the ICH8R chipset.

What I have done and it seems to work is create a RAID1 partition under windows then go to Linux and create a RAID array using mdadm.  I then format the RAID partition as ntfs (mkfs.ntfs).  What is amazing is that it seems to work under both windows and linux.  The question I have is; are these really compatible?  Or am I risking losing my data?

I have been searching for information but I haven't found anything that talks about accessing a RAID array under both windows and Linux with the exception of dmraid which as stated above doesn't work. 

Any help or simply pointing me to a thread that has this answer would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

#2 2007-05-24 00:38:54

atomclock

Re: RAID help / Question

Is my question unclear or too obscure for others to have come across it?

I really could use some help.

Thanks

#3 2007-06-09 00:20:42

atomclock

Oh well... one more bump can't hurt...

#4 2007-06-09 14:35:55

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

No. This kind of hybrid raid is afaik only supported by dmraid on Linux, if dmraid does not support your particular chipset, you're out of luck.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer