You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-16 17:23:17

Davigetto

How Can I install correctly Vmware-Server?

Hi, I have tried to install Vmware-Server in arch but  I have found some problems:

- If I use the install from downloaded file from website, when running install script I can't allocate rc0.d and rc6.d.
- If using Vmware-Server aur package, it tells me that the software is not configured for my kernel (2.6.21). I execute the vmware-config.pl, but no effect.

I have followed the wiki and other methods but I can't get it working. I have installed Vmware in Other SO's like debian and ubuntu with no problem but in arch...

What Can I do to install Vmware?

Greetings

Only deaths can see the end of battles.

Blog: http://djmartinez.co.cc -> The life of a Computer Engineer

#2 2007-05-16 22:24:54

Sputnik66

Re: How Can I install correctly Vmware-Server?

first, you should symlink lsmod to /sbin as VMware has an absolute path to /sbin/lsmod.

ln -s /bin/lsmod /sbin/lsmod

create a directory in /etc/rc.d/ named vmware.d - the result should be /etc/rc.d/vmware.d/

cd to that directory and create directories rc0.d through rc6.d - the result should be:

[sputnik@SPUTNIK1:/etc/rc.d/vmware.d] ls
rc0.d  rc1.d  rc2.d  rc3.d  rc4.d  rc5.d  rc6.d

run vmware-config.pl

What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to
rc6.d/)?

/etc/rc.d/vmware.d/

What is the directory that contains the init scripts?
[/etc/rc.d/vmware.d]

/etc/rc.d/

after all that, everything should go smoothy. make sure to add the vmware daemon to /etc/rc.conf

DAEMONS=(example example vmware)

Last edited by Sputnik66 (2007-05-16 22:29:07)

#3 2007-05-17 05:27:22

mucknert

Actually, it is a LOT easier than what Sputnik66 said. First, there are TWO vmware-server related packages in the AUR. Install vmware-server-modules FIRST. But change the file vmware-server-modules.install. There is a Line that reads 2.6.20-ARCH. Change that to 2.6.21-ARCH, build and install the package. Then install the normal vmware-server-package, also from AUR, and run vmware-config.pl. Then, add xinetd and vmware to your DAEMONS-array in rc.conf. Problem solved!

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#4 2007-05-17 15:40:55

Davigetto

Anythink works... Any more ideas? :S

Only deaths can see the end of battles.

Blog: http://djmartinez.co.cc -> The life of a Computer Engineer

#5 2007-05-17 21:46:31

Sputnik66

mucknert wrote:

Actually, it is a LOT easier than what Sputnik66 said. First, there are TWO vmware-server related packages in the AUR. Install vmware-server-modules FIRST. But change the file vmware-server-modules.install. There is a Line that reads 2.6.20-ARCH. Change that to 2.6.21-ARCH, build and install the package. Then install the normal vmware-server-package, also from AUR, and run vmware-config.pl. Then, add xinetd and vmware to your DAEMONS-array in rc.conf. Problem solved!

True, what I wrote above does not use AUR, but rather downloading vmware-server itself from vmware.com and installing it manually. Each has their own advantage.

Board footer