You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-17 15:20:12

RajivNair

Now this is a wierd problem !!!!

Hello Everyone ,

how is everyone doing .... , couple of days back i got the arch 0.8 voodoo cd , installed on to my system and followed the installation guide . when i rebooted i found my system to be sluggish as if running on a P-I with 32mb of ram ... i had no idea what to do .. checked the forums .. got to know abt the hostname thingy in "/etc/hosts" and "/etc/rc.conf" .. but i had already set it properly while installing .... n arch was super fast while i was using it a month back with 0.72 cd .. so i reformatted n tried installing with the 0.72 cd .. but again found my system to be slow as hell ... next time i used 0.8 cd but this time i did not set the hostname in "/etc/hosts" ... and guess wht my system was responisve as before .. now tell me .. should setting up hostname in "/etc/hosts" make arch slow or fast or am i making some big mistake somewhere ....

Thank You,
Rajiv Nair

#2 2007-05-17 16:41:46

mitsoko
Banned

Re: Now this is a wierd problem !!!!

it is likely to make things slow if you've misconfiguration it.

btw, why are you re-installing on a new cd release?, just curious ..

#3 2007-05-17 17:00:56

RajivNair

well i thought there was some problem with the 0.8 release ISO i had ... but im sure tht i havent misconfgiure anything n tht i had edited my files correctly .. ive been an arch user for an year now .. but i do keep shuffling between distros ... right now i dont know as to where the problem lies ...

#4 2007-05-17 17:55:24

synthead

When you say "slow," what do you mean?  Do you mean that your GUI is slow?  Is it slow to boot?  Is it slow with normal command prompts?

I have the suspicion that you are talking about X ... in that case, you're probably running vga drivers.

Please post an lspci output ...

#5 2007-05-17 18:05:23

RajivNair

im using intel 810 drivers .. when i say slow .. the boot up is normal .. but yea from the beginning of X to the general system responsiveness is slow .. gdm takes a while .. username-password authentication takes time .. startup load takes time .. terminals and other softwares takes time to load ... basically everything except the initial boot stuff ....

#6 2007-05-17 18:30:43

dmartins

You mention that when setting your hostname in /etc/hosts things seem to get slow.. Could you post this file please? (Maybe both the slow and fast versions?)

#7 2007-05-18 06:40:49

RajivNair

this is my "/etc/hosts" file when its working fine -

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost

# End of file

and this is my "/etc/hosts" file when my system becomes really sluggish -

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost   Rajiv-Nair

# End of file

btw "Rajiv-Nair" is my hostname in "/etc/rc.conf" file ....

#8 2007-05-18 08:02:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

sounds like loopback isnt enabled, make *sure* lo is enabled in your rc.conf, and is being brought up on boot with 'ifconfig'.

If this was the problem, please file a bug at bugs.archlinux.org, suggesting lo be enabled at boot at rc.sysinit stage.

#9 2007-05-21 13:29:53

spookykid

Well, the same is happening here with the same exact simptoms. And I also tracked the problem to /etc/hosts configuration. Can any one help? And in my /etc/rc.conf lo is ok.

There is no knowledge that is not power!

Board footer