You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-18 17:54:47

vytalelementz

No sound again [SOLVED]

Ok I'm getting sick and tired of something fucking up royally just because I do a full system upgrade. I did another pacman -Syu last night and everything was working fine before I did this. After reboot this morning, now I have no sound trying to play a cd using kscd and when I try to use mplayer for a .wmv video I get the error: alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave.

I'm extremely frustrated with the fact that something goes wrong when I do a system upgrade. It took me days to fix the no sound issue I had a few weeks ago and here it goes again. I'm seriously thinking about looking to another distro, because this is ridiculous. I don't want to do this right now, I would like to avoid reinstalling everything again, so if someone has a good idea on how to fix this and keep the fucking fix permanent it would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by vytalelementz (2008-05-08 02:29:54)

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#2 2007-05-18 18:16:29

mrunion
Website

Re: No sound again [SOLVED]

I really can't help much, but depending on when you last upgraded BEFORE this, esd was upgraded a day or two ago.  This may be causing your issues.  As for help, just follow thie Wiki and PLEASE double-check your volumes.  I know in one instance I though I wasn't getting sound and I had to have the volume at 99% to hear a little trickle of sound.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2007-05-18 18:26:45

vytalelementz

yeah i just removed esd from the daemons list before i read this reply and now everything is fine again. that was my first guess so i gave it a shot. argh! what a headache. like i said i really like this distro it's lean and straight to the point. it also forced me to learn more about linux. i only overreacted because it took me days to fix a similar problem like this weeks ago and then it sprouted up again so i freaked out smile. But at least this only took me a couple of minutes to solve rather than a couple of days. Thanks for your input though.

Best Regards,

The Vytalone

#4 2007-05-18 18:55:08

YscO

#5 2007-05-18 18:59:02

mrunion
Website

@vytalelementz:
I understand how you feel.  I've tried a ton of distros and I like Arch the best as well.  Nothin' like HAVING to learn stuff.  And I like that!

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer