You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-21 14:20:47

coldo

Will I need to reinstall 2007.5 Archlinux over my 0.8 Wombat install

This is proabably a very dumb question.

In order to benefit from all the new features and fixes in 2007.5 Duke, will I need to do a reinstall from an ISO or will running pacman -Syu automaticaly upgrade everything ?

Also, I blindly run pacman -Syu  every couple of days.  Is it safe to do this or do I need to be careful ?  If it does break something is it likely that it will be fixed again in a few days ?

25 years of software development and I'm still learning..  The more I learn, the less I know.

#2 2007-05-21 14:26:12

Mikko777

Re: Will I need to reinstall 2007.5 Archlinux over my 0.8 Wombat install

absolutely no need to reinstall, thats the beauty of rolling releases.

and

yes running -syu will break something sooner or later, just read install messages and you'll be fine.
and no waiting won't automatically fix things you need to do by yourself.

#3 2007-05-21 21:54:33

bones
Website

I pacman -Syu every couple of days and as Mikko777 says just keep an eye on warning messages and you should have no major problems, If a problem does pop up it's usually very easy to fix with all the clever people on this forum and what better way to learn.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#4 2007-05-21 22:32:39

pelle.k

If it does break something is it likely that it will be fixed again in a few days ?

You should pay the main page www.archlinux.org a visit every now and then. They usually inform of big changes in advance.
Take the switch from initrd to mkinitcpio as an exmaple; If you hadn't noticed that, you would be stuck a grub all of a sudden, cause it required _you_ to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
A lot of people flooded the forums with threads that were in fact completely useless, had you checked the main page.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer