You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-22 06:10:56

whacker

Impressed by Arch Linux

I'm new to Arch Linux and I must say I'm impressed. After the disk of my hardened Gentoo system broke down, I decided I needed something else. Downloaded the Duke release (2007.05) yesterday and in a couple of hours I went from computer parts to a fully featured desktop. I decided to go with gnome and have installed Xgl, Compiz and Beryl. Everything seems to work fine with the fglrx driver. These were my steps:
-Installed xorg (already worked without any configuration, without 3D accelleration ofcourse)
-Installed hwd and ran hwd -x
-Installed fglrx driver & ran aticonfig (or something similar)
-Added an extra resolution in xorg.conf (1280x1024) and changed the default depth to 24.
-Installed Xgl, Compiz, Beryl, gnome
I based my actions on articles I found on the Arch Linux wiki, if you feel I should change something please advise.
I'd like to thank the devs and the whole community for creating Arch Linux and everything around it.

#2 2007-05-22 06:41:34

mahy

Re: Impressed by Arch Linux

I'm a noobie, too, and i can only second that. This distro is a kickass! Although i admit i've cheated once in the configuration process: i copied the xorg.conf from Ubuntu live cd big_smile

#3 2007-05-22 14:28:31

ataraxia

Compiz and beryl do the same thing. You don't need both.

#4 2007-05-22 22:20:36

HighD

I'm new to Arch too. Like many, I came from Ubuntu and I must sincerely say that I don't think I will be going back. I feel Arch is simply much better in so many ways. It's fast, it's stable and it's all I ever wanted in a distro. Thanks everybody, thanks Judd and thanks to all the developers who make this possible. I may one day become a developer too smile. Thanks

"...Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be..."
George Sheehan quotes (American physician, author and running enthusiast, 1918 - 1993)

#5 2007-05-23 08:23:38

Freduardo

Well,

You can add me to the list of satisfied new users, too.

I wanted to try out Arch for about a year now. But somehow I couldn't get myself to say goodbye to Debian. Still, Arch has been running on my old laptop (with openbox) for a month, and a week ago I finally installed it on my desktop as well. And I'm very pleased with the way things are going right now.

Thanks, for what must be the most impressive desktop-distro I've used so far !

Freduardo

Board footer