You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-22 18:22:24

IamfromIvashkovo

After upgrading pacman does not work

Hello everybody,
After upgrading pacman I got the problem. I can not connect to any of the arch servers. The message I have got is
failed retrieving file 'arch.db.tar.gz'
Does anybody has the same problem?
I used pacman --debug -Syu  and test all ot the servers from the  /etc/pacman.d folders.

#2 2007-05-22 18:34:53

slawson

Re: After upgrading pacman does not work

I've got this problem as well. I've just installed a base from scratch on an older version of archlinux x86_64. I perform all the updates including pacman 3. I then try to install the xorg packages when the above happens. I do see an error 'address family not supported by protocol' come up when it attempts to connect to each server, but none of them work. I've also stopped loading the IPv6 module but that doesn't do the trick. Any ideas?

Last edited by slawson (2007-05-22 18:36:48)

#3 2007-05-22 18:48:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

For the first issue (arch.db.tar.gz) - you have edited the section names for a given repo.  The name in brackets ("[current]" or "[extra]") must stay the same as that is the name of that repo.  It appears you have renamed one of them to "[arch]"

As for the second issues (address family not supported), can you please run with --debug so I can see the output?

#4 2007-05-22 19:29:16

IamfromIvashkovo

Inside /etc/pacman.d I have these folders
common,community and so on. What's wrong  with that?

#5 2007-05-22 19:39:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Can you post your /etc/pacman.conf file?  The error is in there.

#6 2007-05-22 19:52:31

IamfromIvashkovo

ок
I put it in on pastebin few minutes ago under my nick-name.

#7 2007-05-22 19:53:28

slawson

As requested my output using --debug. I forgot to mention I've used Archlinx 0.8(x86_64) base iso to install. Install & initial updating works fine but then when I try to run pacman again I get the issue as shown below. The first time I installed from scratch I didn't bother using the sortmrrors script, however the second time I did. I get the same problems either way. It looks like this script has been replaced with a new one in pacman 3 but I haven't tried to use this yet.

debug: config: new section 'options'
debug: config: logfile: /var/log/pacman.log
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/passwd
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/group
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/shadow
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/sudoers
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/fstab
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/raidtab
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/ld.so.conf
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/rc.conf
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/rc.local
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/modprobe.conf
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/modules.conf
debug: config: noupgrade: etc/lilo.conf
debug: config: noupgrade: boot/grub/menu.lst
debug: config: holdpkg: pacman
debug: config: holdpkg: glibc
debug: config: new section 'current'
debug: registering database 'current'
debug: opening database 'current'
debug: opening database from path '/var/lib/pacman/current/'
debug: config: including /etc/pacman.d/current
debug: attempt to re-register the 'current' database, using existing
debug: config: new section 'current'
debug: attempt to re-register the 'current' database, using existing
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.belnet.be', path '/packages/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.heanet.ie', path '/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'http', server 'mirrors.jakimowicz.com', path '/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr', path '/pub/Linux/distrib/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.estpak.ee', path '/pub/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.gigabit.nu', path '/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'sunsite.icm.edu.pl', path '/site/linux-sunsite/distributions/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'mirror.icis.pcz.pl', path '/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'mir1.archlinuxfr.org', path '/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ds.hj.se', path '/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.sh.cvut.cz', path '/MIRRORS/arch/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.iasi.roedu.net', path '/mirrors/archlinux.org/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ntua.gr', path '/pub/linux/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.tu-chemnitz.de', path '/pub/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/distributions/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.linux.kiev.ua', path '/pub/Linux/ArchLinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.archlinux.org', path '/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'gd.tuwien.ac.at', path '/opsys/linux/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'http', server 'darkstar.ist.utl.pt', path '/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'cesium.di.uminho.pt', path '/pub/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'cle.linux.org.tw', path '/pub/ArchLinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'mirror.pacific.net.au', path '/linux/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'current': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ibiblio.org', path '/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/current/os/x86_64'
debug: config: new section 'extra'
debug: registering database 'extra'
debug: opening database 'extra'
debug: opening database from path '/var/lib/pacman/extra/'
debug: config: including /etc/pacman.d/extra
debug: attempt to re-register the 'extra' database, using existing
debug: config: new section 'extra'
debug: attempt to re-register the 'extra' database, using existing
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.belnet.be', path '/packages/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.heanet.ie', path '/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr', path '/pub/Linux/distrib/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'http', server 'mirrors.jakimowicz.com', path '/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.gigabit.nu', path '/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.estpak.ee', path '/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'sunsite.icm.edu.pl', path '/site/linux-sunsite/distributions/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'mirror.icis.pcz.pl', path '/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'mir1.archlinuxfr.org', path '/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.sh.cvut.cz', path '/MIRRORS/arch/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ds.hj.se', path '/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ntua.gr', path '/pub/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.iasi.roedu.net', path '/mirrors/archlinux.org/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'gd.tuwien.ac.at', path '/opsys/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.tu-chemnitz.de', path '/pub/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/distributions/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.linux.kiev.ua', path '/pub/Linux/ArchLinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'http', server 'darkstar.ist.utl.pt', path '/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.archlinux.org', path '/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ibiblio.org', path '/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'cesium.di.uminho.pt', path '/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'cle.linux.org.tw', path '/pub/ArchLinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'extra': protocol 'ftp', server 'mirror.pacific.net.au', path '/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64'
debug: config: new section 'community'
debug: registering database 'community'
debug: opening database 'community'
debug: opening database from path '/var/lib/pacman/community/'
debug: config: including /etc/pacman.d/community
debug: attempt to re-register the 'community' database, using existing
debug: config: new section 'community'
debug: attempt to re-register the 'community' database, using existing
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.belnet.be', path '/packages/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.heanet.ie', path '/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr', path '/pub/Linux/distrib/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'http', server 'mirrors.jakimowicz.com', path '/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.gigabit.nu', path '/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.estpak.ee', path '/pub/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'sunsite.icm.edu.pl', path '/site/linux-sunsite/distributions/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'mirror.icis.pcz.pl', path '/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'mir1.archlinuxfr.org', path '/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ds.hj.se', path '/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.sh.cvut.cz', path '/MIRRORS/arch/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'gd.tuwien.ac.at', path '/opsys/linux/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.iasi.roedu.net', path '/mirrors/archlinux.org/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ntua.gr', path '/pub/linux/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'http', server 'darkstar.ist.utl.pt', path '/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.tu-chemnitz.de', path '/pub/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/distributions/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.linux.kiev.ua', path '/pub/Linux/ArchLinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.archlinux.org', path '/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'cesium.di.uminho.pt', path '/pub/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'ftp.ibiblio.org', path '/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'cle.linux.org.tw', path '/pub/ArchLinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: adding new server to database 'community': protocol 'ftp', server 'mirror.pacific.net.au', path '/linux/archlinux/community/os/x86_64'
debug: registering database 'local'
debug: opening database 'local'
debug: opening database from path '/var/lib/pacman/local/'
:: Synchronising package databases...
debug: logaction called: synchronising package lists
debug: file path: '/packages/archlinux/current/os/x86_64/current.db.tar.gz'
debug: using 'current.db.tar.gz' for download progress
error: failed retrieving file 'current.db.tar.gz' from ftp.belnet.be : Address family not supported by protocol
debug: file path: '/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/x86_64/current.db.tar.gz'
error: failed retrieving file 'current.db.tar.gz' from ftp.heanet.ie : Address family not supported by protocol
debug: file path: '/archlinux/current/os/x86_64/current.db.tar.gz'

Last edited by slawson (2007-05-24 08:58:13)

#8 2007-05-22 20:03:30

slawson

Sorry IamfromIvashkovo, I feel like I'm hijacking your thread. I think I should of started another one.

I've just tried installing 2007.5 base iso and I've still got the same issue. This time however I can't do any updates because pacman starts off on v3 and I get connection timeouts instead of protocol error. I've definitely got a network connection and I can ping the likes of google.com but I haven't got a clue why pacman isn't working. Any ideas?

Last edited by slawson (2007-05-22 20:47:24)

#9 2007-05-22 21:10:23

IamfromIvashkovo

I thought it may be something concerning firewall of my ADSL Modem, but my ftp program working ok and before the upgrade I did not have any problem with pacman (using same networking) at all. So I do not have any clue . Sorry for that .

#10 2007-05-23 21:20:17

IamfromIvashkovo

Finally. It is not the problem of pacman 3. That's the trouble of my routing  or (it's may be worse)  the problem of my ISP.
I can get the packages throw HTTP protocol and can not throw FTP.

Last edited by IamfromIvashkovo (2007-05-23 21:20:43)

#11 2007-05-24 08:57:19

slawson

I've now managed to get pacman 3 updating again on my PC. I don't know which of the two resolved the issue but I changed from dhcp to a static IP address and manually edited my /etc/resolv.conf to include my ISP DNS addresses. As soon as I restarted the network services all worked as before.

#12 2007-05-24 23:56:11

IamfromIvashkovo

Do you use a NAT to connect to inernet? What type of protocol are you using pptp or PPPoE? Try old pacman. (before pacman 3 series). Is it working?

Last edited by IamfromIvashkovo (2007-05-24 23:57:37)

#13 2007-05-25 16:58:17

slawson

I use an ADSL modem router which is PPPoA, configured with both NAT & Firewall. I didn't have to change any settings on the router, it was all done through Arch linux config files.

All I done was setup my /etc/rc.conf so that networking used a static IP address and that my ROUTES gateway was set to my modem/router.

I then added my ISP's DNS IP addresses to /etc/resolv.conf

Are you still having problems?

#14 2007-05-25 17:55:48

IamfromIvashkovo

I use an ADSL modem too (ASUS).Today I have made  last attept to start pacman 3. Result negative. So I come back to pacman 2.9.8
now. It is working with one ot the repo servers.

Last edited by IamfromIvashkovo (2007-05-25 17:56:54)

#15 2007-05-25 19:36:27

slawson

Just a couple of questions:-
Is ftp working with pacman 2.9.8?
Are you using dhcp?
Do you have any nameserver entries in your /etc/resolv.conf file?

The first thing I would try is editing the /etc/resolv.conf file so that it contains your ISP's DNS names: All you do is find out what IP address your ISP uses for its primary & secondary DNS addresses.

nameserver 80.123.1.xxx
nameserver 80.123.2.xxx

I made up the above addresses but it should give you an idea what should be in the resolv.conf file.

#16 2007-05-25 20:24:22

IamfromIvashkovo

Look. My modem working as a router on two hosts. And actually I do not start PPPoE on my host. Modem do. Inside modem as I understand some kind of Linux system. Inside that Linux my ISP put all the information to make trouble routing))) I mean IPChains and others issues. So I will try to see what inside it using telnet (may be) later. As for as ftp//repos. The answer is- noup. Only one with http//.

#17 2007-06-04 14:49:16

IamfromIvashkovo

The first thing I would try is editing the /etc/resolv.conf file so that it contains your ISP's DNS names: All you do is find out what IP address your ISP uses for its primary & secondary DNS addresses.

nameserver 80.123.1.xxx
nameserver 80.123.2.xxx

I made up the above addresses but it should give you an idea what should be in the resolv.conf file.

Thank you very much slawson
It was the problem!!! I put inside the resolv.conf  the adresses of DNS servers and the problems gone  away.

Board footer